CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

I just ordered Radeon Pro W5700 from domestic Amazon, funnily enough cheaper than a RX 580 8GB, estimated delivery time March 20 :runaway:

My question is do I have to flash an unlocked bios in order to undervolt the card? Is there anybody here with mixed AMD Nvidia rig on Win10? It's my first AMD graphics card since 9800XT times, anything should I be careful?

If you use a mining OS like MMPOS then all the options for undervolting are built in.

https://app.mmpos.eu

[Mining OS] mmpOS - easy to use linux/windows platform for mining.

Features:
- Automatic memory timing tuning (SmartTune) on Vega, Pascal cards. Polaris with small boosting. Different levels and algo options for tuning.
- Overclocking and Power consumption control (either via voltage or watt limiting)
- GPU resetting on failure( must be enabled by user settings.ini - linux mmpOS only ).
- Automatic fan management (you set target temperature and fans will be adjusted automatically)
- Automatic update of miners (fixed version possible)
- Live and 30 day history of hashrates, temp/fans and other metrics
- Remote control for rig via teleconsole ( must not be used to update/upgrade system ).

We offer lots of 3rd party apps inside the heart of mmpOS.
- atiflash - used to flash AMD bioses.
- nvflash - used to flash NVIDIA signed bioses.
- amdmeminfo - reports extended GPU information for enthusiasts.
- amdmemtweak - powerful memory tweaking tool - available for enthusiasts( Make sure to disable SmartTune before using - use with caution ).
- OhGodATool - maybe the first available Polaris powerplay tweaker - available for enthusiasts( might break agent settings - use with caution ).
- MMP VegaTool - our own Vega10(Vega56/64) powerplay tweaker - available for enthusiasts( might break agent settings - use with caution ).

I like that you can install MMPOS on a USB stick so that if your rig is Windows and you normally do work on it but then in the time you are not on it and want to mine just plug in the USB stick and reboot.

I'm using hive os for my vega 56.

Fan 40
Core 950
voltage 850
mem 900

Temp is 56/71

I am getting 47.72 mh using team red miner and the timings for ram that works in it.

Its in a machine in the living room so I don't want to push fan noise up more

I'm using hive os for my vega 56.

Fan 40
Core 950
voltage 850
mem 900

Temp is 56/71

I am getting 47.72 mh using team red miner and the timings for ram that works in it.

Its in a machine in the living room so I don't want to push fan noise up more

I further tweaked my settings and am now averaging 48.83 MH/s per Vega 56 at the same power as before.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/cryptocurrency-mining-with-gpus-spawn.60139/page-48#post-2193170

The Best Settings were:

Core 995 MHz
voltage 815 mv

mem 950 MHz
voltage 850 mv

Nice rates for V56s. Did you try and flash V64 BIOSes for higher mclocks? and are these power figures (100-110 watts) you listed earlier from the miner, i.e. a software readout?

Nice rates for V56s. Did you try and flash V64 BIOSes for higher mclocks? and are these power figures (100-110 watts) you listed earlier from the miner, i.e. a software readout?
for me its a software read out. I had the v64 bios flashed however it used to much power and i couldn't keep the vega cooled at a low enough fan speed. that computer is in the living room as my wife uses it.
I'm trying to get a 3060ti/70 or a 6800 to put in her computer and i can put the vega in an older media center pc i have in the basement and blast the fan
upload_2021-2-23_10-36-20.png

I looked for patterns in the relation between hashrate and price, to try and see what he saw in Fev-2018. In February of 2018, you could see the bubble burst pattern. Its when the Hashrate crosses with the price in its way up and on its way down.

NoFsZX4.png

The price crossed the hashrate again on its way upwards a few days ago. Its insanity but it if the pattern repeats, suggests a rise up to ~2500$ followed by a correction down to ~1800$ and finally a run up to ~5000$ in May.

Aren't those crossing points just by-products of arbitrarily chosen scales on the Y axes? It seems to me that by adjusting the Y scales differently you could also get zero crossing points, or a whole lot of them.

Aren't those crossing points just by-products of arbitrarily chosen scales on the Y axes? It seems to me that by adjusting the Y scales differently you could also get zero crossing points, or a whole lot of them.

The scales seem to be dynamically adjusted to the highest ATH of each graph. This means the graph on its own is useless for typical analysis.

What is interesting, is that if you were transported in time to the days of the first two green arrows to the left, you would see the same graph correlation you are seeing today on the third green arrow to the right. And because today you can see the entire lifespan of the graph going back 5 years, you can see that each green arrow event was followed by a massive price spike, a heavy correction, and an even bigger price spike.

It would seem we just had that heavy correction yesterday. If it follows the previous two events, we could see eth inside the 3000's.
In 6 months time, when both graphs are merged again to their respective ATH, we will see if the pattern indeed followed the first two events.

It would seem we just had that heavy correction yesterday. If it follows the previous two events, we could see eth inside the 3000's.
In 6 months time, when both graphs are merged again to their respective ATH, we will see if the pattern indeed followed the first two events.

The conventional wisdom was that the transaction cost would be a limiting factor of the price of ETH. That is, in theory, if the cost of doing transactions on ETH is too high, people will be going elsewhere, thus limiting the price of ETH.
However, the same was said when the price of ETH was about US$500 (at that time it's like, if 1 ETH is US$1,500 the transaction cost would be so high that no one can afford doing even the simplest transactions), but now we are seeing instances of simple USDT transaction costing more than US$90 for gas fee only, so I don't know :)

My numbers (Temperature and Watts) on the previous page (I have updated them) are from the software (mmpOS). But I note the 1222 watts at the wall (measured with energy monitors) for the entire seven Vega 56's on two Rigs. The mmpOS numbers for watts is very accurate overall as the entire two rigs is only using 62 watts more than the 1.16 KW shown by mmpOS dashboard. I am using a 94% efficient server power supplies which at 1160 watts would result in 70 watts of used by them. So 1160 + 70 = 1230 or very close to the actual 1222 watts I am measuring at the wall.

On the flashing Vega 56's to Vega 64's I have not tried that yet. I will try soon and see if the higher memory speed / higher power consumption is worth while.

Watching some ebay auctions with amusement. Just very recently, a used Radeon VII was sold for 1625 EUR, that's nearly three times the price when it was at it's cheapest. Another one at 1100, with 2 days of bidding craze left.

Watching some ebay auctions with amusement. Just very recently, a used Radeon VII was sold for 1625 EUR, that's nearly three times the price when it was at it's cheapest. Another one at 1100, with 2 days of bidding craze left.

To think I sold my VII for £650 when 6800XT launched and was surprised someone just paid asking price 11 minuts after putting auction live. The bidding start price was a lowly £400.
I would buy my Seven back at this price now and do a dance if needed as well (kinda hate dancing).

Sold my Titan X Pascal (replaced by a 6900XT) yesterday, for a good price.
Usually when I sell my old cards it are happy youngsters that show up, now it was a miner.
These guys are scooping up everything they can.
The guy lives in my town, and apparently with the very high electricity price where I live it is even profitable here.
If I’d known I’d rather have sold for less to someone who shares my passion for graphics.

Last edited:
As was to be expected, the new driver did not lower EHT-hashrate on existing cards. Just to spell it out.

edit: Torn inside, if I should be putting my old Vega56 on ebay. I could recoup it's MSRP right now, having paid 400 Euro IIRC when it launched.

As was to be expected, the new driver did not lower EHT-hashrate on existing cards. Just to spell it out.
The new driver never expected to lower anything on existing cards. It is rumored that all existing cards (bar the newly launched 3060) will be EOLed and switched to a new versions with different device IDs. These would be mining limited as 3060.

If your paying 2 cents an kWh for electricity with a vega 56 doing 45Mh/s and consuming a 170w your making 4.74 or 3.93 after electric costs per day. The original costs of a vega 56 was $400. So you could pay off your vega 56 in a 102 days.

One of the reasons I'm trying to get a zotac 3060ti or another around the $500 mark is they will do 5.49 a day after electric costs. So it would pay itself off in 112 days. If the new EIP 1559 or whatever hits , it will likely hit in july or later in the summer.

I would keep mining if I were you and save the coin in hops it goes from $1600 back to 1900 and beyond.

Thanks for the advice. :) Unfortunately, here in germany electricity is at 30 Euro-cents per kWh, so mining in a big way is much more risky in case you hit a bubble.
Additionally, we usually don't heat with electricity here, so you cannot even deduct the mining heat from the regular heating bill, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the advice. :) Unfortunately, here in germany electricity is at 30 Euro-cents per kWh, so mining in a big way is much more risky in case you hit a bubble.
Additionally, we usually don't heat with electricity here, so you cannot even deduct the mining heat from the regular heating bill, if that makes sense.

Well I mean if the thing is producing heat then even if you use oil or natural gas for heat the room should still stay hotter due to the heating element.

But yea that power cost is insane.

Back