4G and H+ - What are the causes of this?

Roger Cobb

Regular
Sorry if this thread ain't in the right category; I just wasn't sure where to add it.

Anyway, sometimes when I am indoors sitting at my living room table, the signal displayed on my mobile phone will change from 4G to H+ and then not go back to displaying 4G. Basically after this, my Internet is very, very slow, or even cuts out altogether.

Sometimes, my connection quality isn't great anyway. When I am trying to upload a video on YouTube, I have to put my phone near a window, and then I notice that it's quicker to complete the upload. Usually, the video will upload quicker when the signal improves. Like it could go from saying it will take 2 hours to half an hour. Kind of like stating the obvious, I know. :p

After I restart my phone, it normally goes back to 4G, and I can then resume uploading a video to YouTube.

So, what causes the drop from 4G to H+ then?

Would a signal booster help? I live on the second floor in a flat, which could be the issue at hand. But I have no idea. Outdoors, the signal is generally fine. Again, that makes a lot of sense. Right?

Sounds like your phone is switching towers because of signal strength. There are apps that can show you which tower you are on. Indoors certainly attenuates the cell signal.

This can happen outside too, so any videos on slower websites buffer like mad. I cannot enjoy watching something that jams every other second. :D

Bad signal coverage is a likely culprit ...

A signal booster is very well one possible solution. The other possible solutions might involve getting a new phone as well so that you can reap the benefits of potentially unused bands available from your mobile network service provider if you weren't doing so previously before. You could also change to another mobile network too that has superior LTE coverage in your area ...

Back