Anthem [PS4, XO, PC]

Yeah characters and story is way flatter than destiny.

The way they deliver it in the mission also way way way worse than destiny

I just tried the ninja class. Whoa! This totally become a different gameplay!

It's friggin awesome to play..

Slash slash dash slash.,dash away, shuriken.

Yeah, I find interceptor to be quite fun once you start unlocking things and checking out different abilities. It also has the ability to equip the equivalent of Mass Effect's Biotic Charge once you acquire the equipment. Gotta keep a shotgun.... for close encounters. ;)

With Anthem’s demo last weekend, that’s definitely been on our minds and we’ve been digging into that. A certain set of core EA tech is in all their games like telemetry, authentication, purchasing. Those were the systems that were falling down during that demo as far as I’m aware, so we’ve been doing investigations into whether or not it was Anthem’s limitation of that telemetry feature or is it the limitation of the Frostbite engine. Since we’re not on Frostbite we have to do things differently. We’ve been trying to figure out in why that was falling over and how confident are we. We’ve done a lot of load-testing because with a game like this there’s no way to tell how many people will show up. Could be a thousand people. Could be five million. So we’ve had to prepare for wor…well, best case scenario, which would be millions of players. Titanfall 1 and 2 launched with barely any hiccups. We don’t expect any road bumps next week.

heh https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...discusses-entering-the-world-of-battle-royale

The Anthem next patch has been killed. The small team working on revamping the game have been moved over to Dragon's Age 4.

Now that it's dead, they should refund everyone who actually paid for it (EA? lol right). A lot of promises which were obviously not fulfilled and could result in a class action.

That's unfortunate but expected. Too much work for a small team to resolve. It really was the wrong engine for the job. The game looked great, but completely flopped when it came to the engine supporting the actual game.

That's unfortunate but expected. Too much work for a small team to resolve. It really was the wrong engine for the job. The game looked great, but completely flopped when it came to the engine supporting the actual game.
It wasn't a flop mainly due to the engine. It was really poorly designed for gameloop, loot and mechanics.

It wasn't a flop mainly due to the engine. It was really poorly designed for gameloop, loot and mechanics.
If only they had replaced the projectiles with a ball and renamed the competitive league with licensed UEFA players, it may have done quite well. Then just rename it to Space FIFA 2121.

Yea there is that aspect. I think all looter shooters sort of suck compared to Diablo right. It's so much investment to get the loot and most of it is garbage. Division has this issue, Destiny has this issue, and Anthem had this issue. Of the group, Anthem had a hard time with lots of enermies to explode, lots of fighting, builds, and getting into and out of dungeons was terrible. Loading screens everywhere, could not change builds except in town. There were so many restrictions it just made the game incredibly frustrating when you're just looking to blow stuff up.

How many more flops and tens/hundreds of millions lost is EA going to let Bioware get away with, before they realize the dev house has long lost almost all the leadership and creative talent that led it to its days of glory?

First they mess up Andromeda because the resources were supposedly too focused on Anthem.
Then Anthem fails miserably. Then they promise a "born-again" update as some other games did and delivered on (FFXIV and No Man's Sky for example), and they fail at that too.

In the meanwhile, a similar proposition was made with Godfall but with a tiny team in comparison to Bioware, and it failed at first but they're steadily working on improving the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many more flops and tens/hundreds of millions lost is EA going to let Bioware get away with, before they realize the dev house has long lost almost all the leadership and creative talent that led it to its days of glory?

First they mess up Andromeda because the resources were supposedly too focused on Anthem.
Then Anthem fails miserably. Then they promise a "born-again" update as some other games did and delivered on (FFXIV and No Man's Sky for example), and they fail at that too.

In the meanwhile, a similar proposition was made with Godfall but with a tiny team in comparison to Bioware, and it failed at first but they're steadily working on improving the game.
Weren't there reports of EA corporate talking heads stepping in and mandating directives over the developer leads for both titles? It could very well be that the fault lies with Bioware but EA hasn't released a quality game since 2016's Battlefield One. Every studio under their umbrella has been releasing bad to mediocre games. They even ruined Battlefield V, releasing by far the worst mainline Battlefield. There has been a very reliable trend.

It could very well be that the fault lies with Bioware but EA hasn't released a quality game since 2016's Battlefield One. Every studio under their umbrella has been releasing bad to mediocre games. They even ruined Battlefield V, releasing by far the worst mainline Battlefield. There has been a very reliable trend.

I don't know all games EA released since 2016 (I don't care about their sports games) but I did play a number of very good games from them in that period.
Motive's Star Wars Squadrons was awesome to play (especially in VR), Respawn's Fallen Order was pretty good too, A Way Out is also a nice smaller and experimental project, together with Unravel 2.

I would also go as far as saying Battlefront 2 eventually became a pretty good game for its price, after all the backlash and corrected mistakes. Though I wonder if EA didn't lose money on that game but kept supporting it due to contractual obligations with Disney.

I think the days of Andrew Wilson's "where's my $1B/year FIFA Ultimate idea" are getting over, and EA seems to be intervening less on their studios' games.

The case of Battlefield V that you mention seems to me like a DICE problem and not an EA one. From all the social media interactions with the developers it seems that DICE's creative directors were more interested in virtue signaling through History revisionism than they were in making a good game. I don't see EA's bean counters willing to take that risk.

Back