Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

great news but not in 2021
Nobody should have expected this. PSVR was a tiny fraction of the PS4 user base, so launching it for a system that three months later you still can't buy, would be kind stupid. Plus devs will need time to produce software for this thing.

Nobody should have expected this. PSVR was a tiny fraction of the PS4 user base, so launching it for a system that three months later you still can't buy, would be kind stupid. Plus devs will need time to produce software for this thing.
I didn’t expect in 2021 but wouldnt be bad idea for december launch, just bring half life alyx for system and don’t postpone gt7 :d

In the blog they're pimping it as a "single cable experience". Likely plugs straight into the front USB C and probably uses inside out tracking. Which is better than PSVR, if not quite a Quest-like experience.
Could be single wire to a wireless box. Maybe have 2 options.

Quest 2 requires a cable to use anything more than that crappy soc on board.

Wireless adapters for the vive are $300 on their own. So I don't expect to see a sony headset with it. I expect the psvr 2 to be $300-$500
Wrong, I stream mine via virtual desktop and my Sky router - I see some buy a dedicated £60 unit but it’s not required.

That hasn’t stopped me from not having used anything but the ‘crappy soc’ since I got the Quest 2 and being very happy with it.
Agreed, it’s about enjoying a game more than being wowed by the graphics for me.

glad your enjoying it. I couldn't handle the lack of quality in the graphics. To me its like playing on an xbox 360 when you have a series x right next too it.

https://uptimevr.com/quest-2-vs-quest-vs-pc-graphics-comparison-arizona-sunshine-enhanced/
So I guess you don’t play BC games?

Agreed, it’s about enjoying a game more than being wowed by the graphics for me.

I thought that as well until I got the Reverb G2. The immersion level experienced from that level of clarity in VR absolutely impacts my enjoyment of driving.

I happily gave up the extra fov of the Pimax for the depth and clarity of the G2. I'm sure Sony will really push the HW here well.

Last edited:
I didn’t expect in 2021 but wouldnt be bad idea for december launch, just bring half life alyx for system and don’t postpone gt7 :d
It may be a December launch; December 2022! :LOL: I would buy PSVR2 this year, VR games are absolutely fantastic and the single/thinner cable (I assume), higher resolution screen and better controllers address my only criticisms of the original. which I bought at launch. As janky as the Move controllers are, using them to fire arrows on Skyrim VR is an amazing experience. :yes:

I love VR.

Reactions: snc
I thought that as well until I got the Reverb G2. The immersion level experienced from that level of clarity in VR absolutely impacts my enjoyment of driving.

I happily gave up the extra fov of the Pimax for the depth and clarity of the G2. I'm sure Sony will really push the HW here well.

Oh yeah, I totally get that - but comparing to XSX (or even PS5) is ridiculous - VR will never be as graphically good as 'current gen' experience, it will always lag a generation - the best we can hope for (even tethered) is PS4 levels.

Even so, the gameplay is where it's at with VR - the immersion I guess depends on the type of game you're playing, but for Eleven, Beat Sabre and Audica - they all look plenty good enough and give a gameplay immersion totally unmatched by XSX/PS5 with no worry/consideration for wires.

Edit - just watched a review of the G2 - seems like the perfect headset for sims, I can imagine for Elite it would be absolutely amazing! Shame there's not one ideal solution :(

Last edited:
Could be single wire to a wireless box. Maybe have 2 options.

Wrong, I stream mine via virtual desktop and my Sky router - I see some buy a dedicated £60 unit but it’s not required.

So I guess you don’t play BC games?

Glad your sky router works , all the streaming methods i've seen for quest have been poor with a loss of quality.

I don't play bc games on my headset no. For me its about maximum visual experience inside of the headset. if graphics are lacking in something like rec room i can pump higher resolution with a 144hz and fsaa as high as i can get it to make it look as good in headset as possible.

When I'm able to get a higher resolution headset that does 144hz or better I will buy it. I have a bunch of headsets for work anyway.

Oh yeah, I totally get that - but comparing to XSX (or even PS5) is ridiculous - VR will never be as graphically good as 'current gen' experience, it will always lag a generation - the best we can hope for (even tethered) is PS4 levels.

Even so, the gameplay is where it's at with VR - the immersion I guess depends on the type of game you're playing, but for Eleven, Beat Sabre and Audica - they all look plenty good enough and give a gameplay immersion totally unmatched by XSX/PS5 with no worry/consideration for wires.

Edit - just watched a review of the G2 - seems like the perfect headset for sims, I can imagine for Elite it would be absolutely amazing! Shame there's not one ideal solution :(

I know vr has been around decades but it should really be considered a new tech. Because of that there are a lot of splinters and forks in the road of progress. It also depends on when headsets are released.

The index is nearing 3 years old , the g2 was fall 2020 I beleive and so I expect the next set of headsets to all leap frog even those. The next index will be wild.

I am interested to see what sony does as they need to make the headset affordable .

For me upgrade cycle seems to be about 3 years. dk2, original rift, quest1 and then 2022 something new. I would be willing to invest more than 1k if there is value for the money. I would be even willing to go as far as not have large tv and use vr headsets for movies instead of tv. Assuming there was headset that was good tv replacement from picture quality pov.

I'll end up with ps5+vr and pc+vr for best of both worlds :) ps5 seems like it's difficult to buy this year. Might wait until 2022 to buy ps5 instead of trying to hunt one from limited supply. Horizon zero dawn is must play for me. I'll "have to" get ps5 for it.

For me upgrade cycle seems to be about 3 years. dk2, original rift, quest1 and then 2022 something new. I would be willing to invest more than 1k if there is value for the money. I would be even willing to go as far as not have large tv and use vr headsets for movies instead of tv. Assuming there was headset that was good tv replacement from picture quality pov.

I'll end up with ps5+vr and pc+vr for best of both worlds :) ps5 seems like it's difficult to buy this year. Might wait until 2022 to buy ps5 instead of trying to hunt one from limited supply. Horizon zero dawn is must play for me. I'll "have to" get ps5 for it.

I did cv1 to index. My other headsets were bought steeply discounted or from work

with the IQ the Quest 2 offers over the PSVR, it's hard to go back to the PSVR, even if the graphics are more detailed.
i received my PS5 adapter, may try it to see how it enhances NMS.

with the IQ the Quest 2 offers over the PSVR, it's hard to go back to the PSVR, even if the graphics are more detailed.
i received my PS5 adapter, may try it to see how it enhances NMS.
Same here, I haven't bought the Quest 2 version of Saints and Sinners as from what I can gather from comparisons, the PSVR version with it's better graphics is the best version to play (or at least six of one half dozen of the other) kind of thing. I already own the PSVR version so seems no point buying twice...though I do love the portability aspect of Q2 and I play it most days.

What we do know is that when it came out PSVR was 'toe to toe' with PC equivalent, from memory less screen door effect being the biggest advantage (along with comfort - the comfort being so good I bought the adapter from Aliexpress which has a very similar head support). So anyway, I'm confident whatever PSVR2 does, it will be at the least competent against what will be current...and of course with PS5 BC the PS4 games should get a nice new lease of life.

New VR controller

EDIT:

Features
The new VR controller enables players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way. There are several features, including key features from the DualSense controller, which match our vision for what next-generation VR games can be.

● Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

● Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

● Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

● Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

● Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example.

03_withnotice-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Back