Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

There are groups of professional scalpers out there, controlled release of minimal stock keeps demand and prices high.
If scalpers can't move what they have on hand, eventually supply will normalize and your stock will be worth what you paid for it, and not more. Scalpers, even if there is some organized syndicate of them, are trying to move what they have as soon as possible before there isn't a supply that matches demand in the normal retail channel.

If scalpers can't move what they have on hand, eventually supply will normalize and your stock will be worth what you paid for it, and not more. Scalpers, even if there is some organized syndicate of them, are trying to move what they have as soon as possible before there isn't a supply that matches demand in the normal retail channel.
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out there's no hurry - this is like any other product, and yes...there's a gamble - but the worst case is you'll get your money back, so you just try to maximise profits until you no longer can and have to start lowering the price (which isn't happening any time soon).

Edit - I would add that if/when stock does normalise it will still demand a premium at Christmas when shortages will be guaranteed.

Last edited:
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out there's no hurry - this is like any other product, and yes...there's a gamble - but the worst case is you'll get your money back, so you just try to maximise profits until you no longer can and have to start lowering the price (which isn't happening any time soon).

Edit - I would add that if/when stock does normalise it will still demand a premium at Christmas when shortages will be guaranteed.
I guess we can agree to disagree, although I would like to point out that there are plenty on Ebay right now for about $800 when the average selling price a few months ago was 1200. So the price is coming down. And if you have stock that has lost a third of its value in a few months (or more importantly, you make less than half what you make in profit now), it's time to start selling while you can still make hundreds over retail.

I guess we can agree to disagree, although I would like to point out that there are plenty on Ebay right now for about $800 when the average selling price a few months ago was 1200. So the price is coming down. And if you have stock that has lost a third of its value in a few months (or more importantly, you make less than half what you make in profit now), it's time to start selling while you can still make hundreds over retail.

It has steadily come down. I've been occasionally looking at a website that sells them since release. From 900 to 800 to 770 now to 750 over the past 2 months.

Having a stock costs money, if you are doing it as a business. If you are just a guy that got lucky and got a couple then it does not matter. But from what I understood, these where professional scalpers. Which means they have cash tied up in the stock and that is money you can use to earn more money.
So keeping stock, is a silly gamble.

I agree to disagree. Obviously there are different levels of profit, but profit is profit - it’s easy money...they are making significantly more than shops will on the same stock and if all of a sudden the price drops you can break even...but the smart person will just hold stock for the next shortage.

Having a stock costs money, if you are doing it as a business. If you are just a guy that got lucky and got a couple then it does not matter. But from what I understood, these where professional scalpers. Which means they have cash tied up in the stock and that is money you can use to earn more money.
So keeping stock, is a silly gamble.
It’s without a shadow of any doubt in my mind the best investment you can make right now.

These are not shops, this is simply a case of using their buying power to make substantially more than any other investment will return.

This is a scenario they can’t lose unless there was a dramatic law change, but even then they already have the stock and will never lose money- just make less profit.

This is no different to what we used to do in the shops I worked in except the rewards are much bigger.

Id like anyone to suggest a better investment today than £5k of PS5 stock, please suggest it or pm me if you want to keep it a secret because I’m in! Lol

More than four years ago, we launched PlayStation VR to offer a transformative new way to play games on PS4, providing a much stronger sense of presence and deeper immersion to players compared with traditional games. In that time, we’ve seen tremendous experiences that have propelled virtual reality gaming forward, including highly acclaimed titles like Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, Tetris Effect, Blood & Truth, Moss, Beat Saber, and Resident Evil 7 biohazard. We’ve also enhanced the experience for some PS VR titles when played on PS4 Pro and PlayStation 5.
Today I’m pleased to share that our next-generation VR system will be coming to PlayStation 5, enabling the ultimate entertainment experience with dramatic leaps in performance and interactivity. Players will feel an even greater sense of presence and become even more immersed in their game worlds once they put on the new headset.

We’re continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We’re taking what we’ve learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.
One of the innovations we’re excited about is our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense wireless controller, along with a focus on great ergonomics. That’s just one of the examples of future-proof technology we’re developing to match our vision for a whole new generation of VR games and experiences.

There’s still a lot of development underway for our new VR system, so it won’t be launching in 2021. But we wanted to provide this early update to our fans, as the development community has started to work on creating new worlds for you to explore in virtual reality.

We also want to thank all of our PS VR players for your continued support — with upcoming games like After The Fall, Sniper Elite VR, and Humanity, there’s much more to come for PS VR whether you’re playing on PS4 or PS5. With both PlayStation VR and the next-generation VR system we’re building, our commitment to virtual reality as a medium for games is stronger than ever. We look forward to sharing more details in the future!

PSVR 2 is official

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/23/introducing-the-next-generation-of-vr-on-playstation/

Gran Turismo delayed to 2022. Bet that Horizon and GOW Ragnarok delays will follow soon. https://t.co/sacEaqOU70?amp=1

“GT7 has been impacted by Covid-related production challenges and therefore will shift from 2021 to 2022. With the ongoing pandemic, it’s a dynamic and changing situation and some critical aspects of game production have been slowed over the past several months. We’ll share more specifics on GT7’s release date when available.”

Never expected full zen2 CPU in there, neither zen3 features. It is what it is. VR might not be exciting enough for me for the 10th generation graphics wise.

Gran Turismo delayed to 2022. Bet that Horizon and GOW Ragnarok delays will follow soon. https://t.co/sacEaqOU70?amp=1

“GT7 has been impacted by Covid-related production challenges and therefore will shift from 2021 to 2022. With the ongoing pandemic, it’s a dynamic and changing situation and some critical aspects of game production have been slowed over the past several months. We’ll share more specifics on GT7’s release date when available.”

So far, the 10th generation is the most underwhelming so far. Cross-gen, hardware, and availability, covid, and lack of any true next gen games feul that.

PS5 drift investigation suggests DualSense sticks ‘have a life of 417 hours’ | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

A backup controller could be good to have. Seems its the resistance motors going for more wear over a more traditional controller.

Fair enough. We imagine you’ve got a roadmap for 2021 in terms of the games that you want to release. How fixed is that given the disruptions Covid-19 has caused to development? Returnal recently got pushed back a month.

Yeah, we’re feeling pretty good about Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West.

Damn, these impact the business side a lot. I wonder if Sony and Microsoft will push back next gen plans by a year or so because of this.

I'm already surprised GT7's been delayed, and have expected Ragnarok wouldn't make it in 2021, but if Horizon gets delayed too, that's gonna hit hard for a lot of folks. Looks like both Microsoft and Sony will be light on 1P content this year, as it's basically Returnal and Rift Apart for Sony, and Halo Infinite for Microsoft. Maybe Forza Horizon 5 but that's a big stretch right now despite what supposed insiders have said.

With the system shortages, this might almost feel like a "lost year" for PS5 and Series X|S, like the generation won't feel like it's truly begun for the masses until 2022. I had though maybe one of the two would push for a 2026 launch for their 10th-gen system but that's out the window now, 2027 at the earliest. They need that time to maximize the install base in ecosystem for revenue and profits and wouldn't want to cut that short with bringing out new consoles too early.

If another game is delay to 2022, it will be God of War Ragnarok.

TBF I never believed it was going to come this year given initial reveal was simply a logo.

Damn, these impact the business side a lot. I wonder if Sony and Microsoft will push back next gen plans by a year or so because of this.

Practically guaranteed at this point. 2027 at earliest. Probably shouldn't expect any mid-gen refreshes (not even Pro/One-X style, can include something like smaller, more power-efficient models) until 2024...though I guess there's a case to be made in pushing that for 2023 if they're smaller/cooler replacements to match any pent-up demand when systems are becoming regularly available, while curbing down production costs.

Never expected full zen2 CPU in there, neither zen3 features. It is what it is. VR might not be exciting enough for me for the 10th generation graphics wise.

So far, the 10th generation is the most underwhelming so far. Cross-gen, hardware, and availability, covid, and lack of any true next gen games feul that.

PS5 drift investigation suggests DualSense sticks ‘have a life of 417 hours’ | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

A backup controller could be good to have. Seems its the resistance motors going for more wear over a more traditional controller.

I think this is technically the 9th generation :p . 10th-gen should be when PS6 and Series Next (or whatever they call it) launch. I kind of agree that it seems like current gen's started on a more muted note, but to that I give Sony some credit for getting games like Demon Soul's Remastered and Miles Morales ready for the initial launch phase.

Scalpers and COVID have really put a damper on some of the initial excitement for both companies, though. Maybe they should take Carmack up on his suggestion ;)

Last edited:
Back