Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

For instance, CMP lacks display outputs, enabling improved airflow while mining so they can be more densely packed. CMPs also have a lower peak core voltage and frequency, which improves mining power efficiency.

It’s hard to believe they can meet demand for CMPs purely with dies that don’t make the cut for GPUs. This is a nice way for Nvidia to make money off of scrap but it’s probably not going to help at all with GPU availability.

The MSRP on these things will be super interesting.

I don't believe nvidia should tell someone what to do or how to use a product they purchased.

Don't matter , people already hacked it and its now working.

It is a pretty bad precedent. It'd be like buying a CPU that's artificially limited in particular workloads just to create market segmentation. Like if you bought a cpu and it was artificially inflating compile times, and there was a different "programmer's" cpu you had to buy instead. I don't think anyone would be happy with that.

It is a pretty bad precedent. It'd be like buying a CPU that's artificially limited in particular workloads just to create market segmentation. Like if you bought a cpu and it was artificially inflating compile times, and there was a different "programmer's" cpu you had to buy instead. I don't think anyone would be happy with that.
yea like a company creating compilers that give competing companies worse performance

or a company that in drivers changed precision of shaders without allowing the end user to choose to disable it just so it appears better.

or intel who actually allowed you to pay at one point to unlock performance in cpus.

I think this serves a purpose to artificially limit minning capability and funneling those people into their "crypto" cards which based on the reported hashrates and power usage seem to be 10 and 20 series cards. So Nvidia is trying to sell old chips they have laying around or perhaps were able to buy cheap older fab capacity to mass produce and want to dump it onto the market. But no one will buy these cards if you were able to use the new cards.

I don't believe nvidia should tell someone what to do or how to use a product they purchased.

Don't matter , people already hacked it and its now working.
My understanding is that the cards would still run mining software, they just wouldn't run it at the same rate.

Compilation is likely harder to isolate as a workload, but we can tick off any number of features that differ from embedded/netbook/standard/pro/server lines for CPUs.
Some of them had real impacts, like varying vector ISA enablement, or sometimes custom or undocumented instructions.
I believe there was some hinting that Intel's implemented specific instructions for clients, and there are undocumented changes with performance impact like how the original Zen still supported FMA4 (I suppose somebody still wanted it.)
The same occurs with value/gamer/quadro cards or consumer/educational/professional licensing for software.
The distinction between non-commercial or professional/enterprise segmentation seems like a long-standing precedent to me.

My understanding is that the cards would still run mining software, they just wouldn't run it at the same rate.

Compilation is likely harder to isolate as a workload, but we can tick off any number of features that differ from embedded/netbook/standard/pro/server lines for CPUs.
Some of them had real impacts, like varying vector ISA enablement, or sometimes custom or undocumented instructions.
I believe there was some hinting that Intel's implemented specific instructions for clients, and there are undocumented changes with performance impact like how the original Zen still supported FMA4 (I suppose somebody still wanted it.)
The same occurs with value/gamer/quadro cards or consumer/educational/professional licensing for software.
The distinction between non-commercial or professional/enterprise segmentation seems like a long-standing precedent to me.

So basically they are forcing worse performance and telling you not to do this. What's worse they aren't clear on what cards this effects. If its in drivers whats to stop them from doing this to people who already purchased and are getting the performance they expect and later on the half your performance ?

What happens when the 40 series comes out and they want to sell more gpus so they decide to put out drivers where the old cards get half the frame rates?

So basically they are forcing worse performance and telling you not to do this. What's worse they aren't clear on what cards this effects. If its in drivers whats to stop them from doing this to people who already purchased and are getting the performance they expect and later on the half your performance ?

What happens when the 40 series comes out and they want to sell more gpus so they decide to put out drivers where the old cards get half the frame rates?
I'm pretty sure the throttling is specific to an as-yet unreleased product line, and they're being up front about it.
Nvidia has avoided retroactive changes, perhaps because cards already out mining farms would not be updated to new drivers, and going after existing cards may dredge up times Nvidia discussed mining in an encouraging way for sold products.

Whether retroactive throttling could be done in the future in a manner that works, I'm not sure of the full implications or feasibility.

I'm pretty sure the throttling is specific to an as-yet unreleased product line, and they're being up front about it.
Nvidia has avoided retroactive changes, perhaps because cards already out mining farms would not be updated to new drivers, and going after existing cards may dredge up times Nvidia discussed mining in an encouraging way for sold products.

Whether retroactive throttling could be done in the future in a manner that works, I'm not sure of the full implications or feasibility.

I guess only time will tell.

It was going to buy a 3060 but i think i wll just buy another amd card for my wife

Damned if you do...danmed if you don't.
People...lol

EDIT:
Just be be a bit more clear.

For AGES people have whined about being unable to buy SKU's due to "scalpers and miners".
People have raged over NVIDIA selling SKU's directly to miners.

Now they make mining SKU's...and reduced the hash-rate in gamer cards...and people still whine.

TL;DR People love to whine and should be ignored :yep2:

Last edited:
Damned if you do...danmed if you don't.
People...lol

EDIT:
Just be be a bit more clear.

For AGES people have whined about being unable to buy SKU's due to "scalpers and miners".
People have raged over NVIDIA selling SKU's directly to miners.

Now they make mining SKU's...and reduced the hash-rate in gamer cards...and people still whine.

TL;DR People love to whine and should be ignored :yep2:

Most likely it's not the same people...

There is a person with 3060s already mining he said he would post a video , this was posted to reddit 16 hours ago so I dunno when exactly tommorow is for him but i guess we should see more proof.
0bjclg89t9i61.png

za91am96t9i61.png

Back