Valheim - steam early access

Scott_Arm

Legend

Started playing this with some friends. It's a very approachable survival game. You have to eat but your food doesn't expire etc. Progression from tools and materials is very smooth. Punch some trees to get wood. Make an axe. Use axe to kill boars and cut down more trees. Use wood and leather scraps to make a bow. Use the bow to hunt deer. Use leather from deer to make clothes. Everything about the progression just seems well planned out so you're consistently getting new things to make and build.

Combat is very simple, and ai is primitive, but it's still kind of enjoyable. We just started seeing enemies with special abilities like self heal, poison etc. So it's going to ramp up. When you die you have to walk to your body and retrieve your loot. The trek can be long. The map is absolutely enormous and randomly generated.

We've only scratched the surface. For an early access game we haven't encountered any bugs or crashes. Performance needs some work though. I generally avoid early access, but this one actually seems good.

I've heard a lot of positivity about this one, best seller on steam currently. I think my wife would love this, might have to play it with her.

This game is very relaxing. It has an interesting art style that ends up being very pretty. I refuse to read any guides or tutorials, because discovering the unlocks from materials has been really enjoyable.

Yeah my wife and I are enjoying discovering how the game works without looking up guides prior. Definitely quite challenging, dying out in the middle of nowhere and losing all your stuff really makes you consider how you approach fights, and the stamina has a huge impact on combat and fleeing.

The wife is often at home building figuring out how to build the house for our needs whilst I'm out farming materials or exploring. Sometimes we both go on small adventures on our raft to new areas only to freak out at seeing a massive Troll lumbering through the forest. Fun stuff.

We're at a point where we can't progress at the moment due to not being able to find the cores to make the smelter.

Yeah my wife and I are enjoying discovering how the game works without looking up guides prior. Definitely quite challenging, dying out in the middle of nowhere and losing all your stuff really makes you consider how you approach fights, and the stamina has a huge impact on combat and fleeing.

The wife is often at home building figuring out how to build the house for our needs whilst I'm out farming materials or exploring. Sometimes we both go on small adventures on our raft to new areas only to freak out at seeing a massive Troll lumbering through the forest. Fun stuff.

We're at a point where we can't progress at the moment due to not being able to find the cores to make the smelter.

Yah, a lot of the fun is just naturally finding the next step. I think reading guides and tutorials would ruin a lot of the fun of the game. We're kind of in a similar spot where we need to explore the map to find the next boss. We stupidly sailed across an ocean and didn't build a new shelter on the other side. One of us died (me) and re-spawned back on the original island. My friend had to loot my body and bring all of my stuff back, but sailed across the ocean at night which was ... interesting for him.

Exploring Black Forest biome at night in the rain, mist meandering through the trees, lightning illuminating the gloom... absolutely gorgeous.

We got our cores from a couple of dungeons and have advanced to bronze. Our home is renovated and redesigned. New weapons and tools created.

Not sure. I can't imagine it would be too bad. I'll check the settings menu and see if it has dedicated controller setup.

Thanks. I can see on steam it has “partial controller support”. Would love to know if it’s partially good or partially bad lol.

Right now the relatively poor performance of the game seems to cause some dizziness to my friend after a long session. It could also due to he's being a bit under the weather, though.
Otherwise it's a very refreshing style of survival game, great to play with friends.

Thanks. I can see on steam it has “partial controller support”. Would love to know if it’s partially good or partially bad lol.
I usually play controller in third person games but I switched to mouse keyboard for this as I found the controls lacking.

Back