Pixilica to create free, open source GFX for RISC V with RV64X/RV32X

CarstenS

Legend
Supporter
Pixilica set out to create a new, open source graphics IP for use in/with RISC V:
https://www.pixilica.com/graphics

They have a sort-of ISA-draft online (that's the linked file from above URL, attached below as well):
https://b5792ddd-543e-4dd4-9b97-fe2...d/841f2a_c8685ced353b4c3ea20dbb993c4d4d18.pdf

They target to be DirectX SM5 compliant as well as OpenGL/ES and Vulkan.

Could they be successful in implementing a new, free and open source graphics ISA and what about their goal of making it open source? Do they have the patent portfolio to own all the necessary IP?

I would like to hope, but remain skeptical.

Attachments

• 841f2a_c8685ced353b4c3ea20dbb993c4d4d18.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
If Intel cannot break into the market, neither can they...so I would await and see how Intel fares.

TBH, I think a GPU is much more than just it's ISA ...

GPUs are fast at accelerating 3D graphics because they implement a graphics pipeline with fixed function hardware or have all sorts of state machines inside them. Intel's Larrabee project couldn't succeed at graphics acceleration with it's minimalist approach to implementing graphics state and they still had to design a fixed function HW accelerated texture pipeline for it which alone couldn't make for competitive performance ...

I'm not sure if they're aiming at the high end discrete market in their first iteration. ;) Maybe it's more of a rudimentary set of gfx related functions in order to have a more accessible and cheap way of creating some kind of display output.

I'm not sure if they're aiming at the high end discrete market in their first iteration. ;) Maybe it's more of a rudimentary set of gfx related functions in order to have a more accessible and cheap way of creating some kind of display output.

Having a fixed function graphics hardware pipeline is also great for low-end solutions too which can easily come in the benefit of a smaller die size or lower power draw ...

Back