Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

I finally managed to get a 3080 FE (at MSRP no less) and put the EK waterblock on it because the memory was getting too hot for my liking (would top at 100+ C playing games and 110C doing any memory intensive workload).

It's a substantial improvement over my 1080 Ti, feels more than 2x in many cases even without factoring DLSS and RT. Under water it's not too bad for efficiency and stays relatively cool (around 44C playing cyberpunk at 4K with RT).

gqov6onozmh61.jpg

^ This @ 887mv vcore at 1965-1980 core and +1500 on the memory (22 Gbps).

Last edited:
I finally managed to get a 3080 FE (at MSRP no less) and put the EK waterblock on it because the memory was getting too hot for my liking (would top at 100+ C playing games and 110C doing any memory intensive workload).

It's a substantial improvement over my 1080 Ti, feels more than 2x in many cases even without factoring DLSS and RT. Under water it's not too bad for efficiency and stays relatively cool (around 44C playing cyberpunk at 4K with RT).

From Pascal its a beastly upgrade shift indeed, and thats just factoring in normal rendering. Even going from say a 2080 to 3080 is going to be a rather good performance increase in rasterization alone. That said, RT and DLSS cant be dismissed (in special not the former). Theres also new meaningfull features to Ampere that certainly are worth considering.

Im on a ancient 2080Ti (2018 gpu....), and due to bad availability which at the same time results in bad pricing, will keep this thing for a good while to come. Perhaps a RTX4000 will replace it (seems very likely for now). IF availability is better by then lol.

From Pascal its a beastly upgrade shift indeed, and thats just factoring in normal rendering. Even going from say a 2080 to 3080 is going to be a rather good performance increase in rasterization alone. That said, RT and DLSS cant be dismissed (in special not the former). Theres also new meaningfull features to Ampere that certainly are worth considering.

Im on a ancient 2080Ti (2018 gpu....), and due to bad availability which at the same time results in bad pricing, will keep this thing for a good while to come. Perhaps a RTX4000 will replace it (seems very likely for now). IF availability is better by then lol.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to buy the GPUs at the scalped up prices, I frequently saw 3080s go for 900+ quid here and gone in seconds, ridiculous. The best bet is to keep an eye out for founders edition GPUs and when they restock, here in the UK it's scan and I was lucky enough to order one when they restocked.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to buy the GPUs at the scalped up prices, I frequently saw 3080s go for 900+ quid here and gone in seconds, ridiculous. The best bet is to keep an eye out for founders edition GPUs and when they restock, here in the UK it's scan and I was lucky enough to order one when they restocked.

Indeed im avoiding all the crazyness. I feel its the best to await better times, it makes little sense to put resources and energy going from a 2080ti to say a 3080 for now.
I did get ahold of a PS5 DE (thats now more worth then what i gave for it), its probably the only 'next-gen' hardware il get ahold of for a while. Its just crazy whats going on, in special the scalpers and other criminal activity going on regarding new hardware.

Il probably get a whole new system by mid/late 2022, sell the old and call it a day.

Congrats, I went from a 1080 to a 3090 and it’s a nice upgrade.

Why are people going crazy for the new consoles though? There aren’t any games yet.

They're loving the BC functionality that some said didn't matter at all.

I'm one of those who didn't originally care for BC. I have changed my mind. The "free" ps4 game bundle coming with psn+ was the game changer in my mind. It's very cheap way to get to play those ps4 classics one didn't already play. Also the improved versions of ps4 games like god of war influenced my decision to like "bc" more.

It's a shame I haven't still managed to buy ps5. Might be that I will game with pc only this year and look into ps5 onces things have normalized.

I was hoping for a 3080 20gb version by now, but... Seems nothing will be available until next gen (if 3080ti is 12gb, I'm no interested). Love you Vega FE under water, you'll have to struggle in 2021...

I'm one of those who didn't originally care for BC. I have changed my mind. The "free" ps4 game bundle coming with psn+ was the game changer in my mind. It's very cheap way to get to play those ps4 classics one didn't already play. Also the improved versions of ps4 games like god of war influenced my decision to like "bc" more.

It's a shame I haven't still managed to buy ps5. Might be that I will game with pc only this year and look into ps5 onces things have normalized.
It's tough for all sides this year. I wonder if Sony will push back some of their games since they apparently have a pretty stacked 2021 lineup in the pipeline. Unless stock issues get better by mid year, some of the bigger games could do better delaying a bit until a better supply of stock can be pushed through. They'd also benefit from the extended development time.

As for Nvidia, yea, I really had my heart set on a 3090.. but after several attempts around launch, and the subsequent price increases, I decided I'm good with my 2080ti for this year. Will either hold out for Ti/Super variants or possibly until the 4000 Series.. not that I'm expecting things to get better any time soon. :(

They're loving the BC functionality that some said didn't matter at all.

Good thing too, literally the only games to play on them for the most part. And hey, at least you cant mine coins on a PS5!

Unfortunately, the laws of economics dictate that even if the chip shortage gets better, we're only getting GPUs if it's no longer profitable to mine coins with them. The good news is after that hits there's going to be a shit ton of GPUs and laptops and whatnot on ebay.

A question would be should we assume that they're all Ampere GPUs?

Also I'd assume they're be listing very conservative figures with no tuning as they need to ensure hitting those figures even in worst case scenarios.

The smallest one is Turing: From GTX 1660 Super equivalents you can get basically the same MH/W as for larger cards. You only have to put up a little more effort with the setup. But you get decentralized hotspots in exchange and better fault tolerance.

What else can they be? They won't start selling a new product lineup based on Turing or anything older than that. It also makes little sense for it to not be Ampere considering product lineups synergy.

Older 14nm/12nm node capacities aren't as stressed currently. Remember that the word was also that Nvidia was bringing Turing back to the market, it was assumed it was to directly help relieve the retail market but maybe that wasn't it?

Older 14nm/12nm node capacities aren't as stressed currently. Remember that the word was also that Nvidia was bringing Turing back to the market, it was assumed it was to directly help relieve the retail market but maybe that wasn't it?
Hm you may be right:

Screenshot2021021819.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16493/nvidia-launches-cmp-dedicated-mining-hardware

This implies that only 90HX is Ampere - GA102 specifically.
50HX seem to be TU102 based.
40HX is TU104?
30HX is TU106 or even TU116.

Back