Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

When Zen 2 came out the 256FPU was very obvious and easy to see on the dieshots. It looked like the Zen 1 FPU was mirrored.
Found this Renoir dieshot with annotations. Fritz image is hard to see, but we can see enough to noticed that the FPU looks "thinner"?

fxRNWcM.jpeg
hmm.. interesting. Well I can't see shit. So I'll wait for the internet sleuths to put something together.

edit: oh ^^ what a beast -- frankly scary amount of breakdown here from this. I feel like a child looking adult channels where the cable box is fuzzing me out.

SSE is probably just fine consider games mostly deal with vector of length 4, and workload with heavy FP operations will be offloaded to GPU instead. But AVX is always handy if your workload is smaller and requires low latency.

SSE is probably just fine consider games mostly deal with vector of length 4, and workload with heavy FP operations will be offloaded to GPU instead. But AVX is always handy if your workload is smaller and requires low latency.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, If you have gone to the effort to vectorize your code across 128bits, using AVX2 just gets double the perf for very minimal effort.
AVX2 is pretty common in PC / general code, so it's makes the PS5 as the "odd one out" in terms of what is supported.
Of course I'm just a lowly software engineer, and i'm sure that Sony have made a smart decision when looking at the balance of heat/performance/ease of use.
Odd that AMD would go to the effort to remove it though.

Perhaps the game industry has settled on AVX, and just not moved beyond that instruction set?
They added AVX to the jaguar cores for last gen, so it must have been of use there.

can't wait for more detailed analysis of the shots.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, If you have gone to the effort to vectorize your code across 128bits, using AVX2 just gets double the perf for very minimal effort.
AVX2 is pretty common in PC / general code, so it's makes the PS5 as the "odd one out" in terms of what is supported.
Of course I'm just a lowly software engineer, and i'm sure that Sony have made a smart decision when looking at the balance of heat/performance/ease of use.
Odd that AMD would go to the effort to remove it though.

Perhaps the game industry has settled on AVX, and just not moved beyond that instruction set?
They added AVX to the jaguar cores for last gen, so it must have been of use there.

can't wait for more detailed analysis of the shots.

It seems they cut FADD unit

Two peoples seems to confirm it.

So for the

10 Print "Hello World!"
20 Goto 10

Crowd, what does it mean that they cut the FADD unit, for practical purposes?

I googled FADD, so its a floating point add instruction, which I then assume is a accelerator thingy, since the FPU is "basically" an accelerator for Real numbers math.
Now the question, why does or does it not impact game development? I assume since MS added INT4 and INT8 for ML it does not have a big direct impact on ML algorithms that use INTs.
Is a 3D engine based mostly on INT math?

I am technically illiterate regarding these things. So what does all this mean in practice?
Is the PS5 bottle necked somewhere because they removed something?
What is this they removed and how does it fair next to competition?

So FADD removed as it would not really be used by games. But it is something that might be used in encoding e.g. compression and decompression. So it was redundant anyway due to the kraken block?

So FADD removed as it would not really be used by games. But it is something that might be used in encoding e.g. compression and decompression. So it was redundant anyway due to the kraken block?
Probably. It seems they removed the parts are only needed for general computing and created custom implementation of what was not ready earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a comparison thread, so please keep performance comparisons out of it to remain on topic.

Back