Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

So currently the PS5 is significantly under performing? How does XSX do in this test? Is this test even worth anything?

This is a math and font rendering test. This is not a game engine test.

EDIT:

Slug renders shapes on the GPU directly from outline data composed of quadratic Bézier curves to produce crisp text at any scale or from any perspective. There are no precomputed texture images or signed distance fields. Slug uses a breakthrough mathematical algorithm, illustrated below, that we invented to achieve perfect robustness with high performance, and it is the only existing GPU method that renders properly antialiased glyphs with no artifacts under both magnification and minification.

https://sluglibrary.com/

Last edited:
Other notable references: Legend of the Dragoon, Omega Boost (I d LOVE a proper next gen sequel), Arc the Lad, Xtreme, Twisted Metal, Jumping Flash, Motor Toon, Colony Wars, G-Police, Vib Ribbon, Medievil, Syphon Filter, The Getaway, Primal, Siren, Ghosthunter, Mark of Kri.....there are so many games that came from Sony's owned studios, that were abandoned

Yes Klonoa was amazing. The gameplay is very refreshing and super fun. I wish we saw more of that franchise. But it was produced by Namco I think.

I want to check that out. Does anyone remember the name?

Ah man, Omega Boost is legit. One of the smoothest games of that gen, hands down. I get mad sometimes that Polyphony's never revisited the IP; granted Gran Turismo's a big deal but I'd of hoped by now they could've expanded to having a team dedicated to GT and another to try different IP like an Omega Boost sequel.

I think a new Syphon Filter might be in the works, probably as some multiplayer-focused game. It's been hinted at a few times at least in terms of IP that could come back. And yeah, Klonoa's a Namco game, but they've done absolutely nothing with the brand since the Wii remake. Maybe Sony or someone could work out a deal to do something new with the IP or at the very least, he should be a guest character in Smash.

As for the Sega game, wish I could think of the name but no dice. There's an article about it on Arcade Heroes and they have a link to the YT video, otherwise I'd have to search all over my bookmarks. But it's a very neat looking game and quite forward-thinking, I just wish Sega found ways to bring that type of stuff to Saturn and Dreamcast more frequently when they were still making consoles :S

So, the first die shots of the PS5 APU are available
Fritzchens Fritz auf Twitter: "A first quick and dirty die-shot of the PS5 APU (better SWIR image will follow). It looks like some Zen 2 FPU parts are missing. https://t.co/PefXCxc3G1" / Twitter

EuM4_ZeXUAcjVuy

EuM4-XEWYAYKnMk
Maybe someone can point out, what is which part of the GPU, CPU, ...

Edit:
seems like caches are still split, so no infinity-cache (never really expected that).

Dream is over...

What exactly he mean with "parts missing" in the FPU?
Different may also mean that it was altered for the better, right? Because makes no sense to get a Zen 2 CPU and make it worse.

Dream is over...

Different may also mean that it was altered for the better, right? Because makes no sense to get a Zen 2 CPU and make it worse.
Well, I guess they might have just cut some instruction sets, Sony thinks that are not needed for games. E.g AVX is really energy hungry. Might be something sony get rid of, so the CPU does not draw all the power away from the GPU. This is just an example, why they might have cut some things.

Fritzchens Fritz auf Twitter: "A first quick and dirty die-shot of the PS5 APU (better SWIR image will follow). It looks like some Zen 2 FPU parts are missing. https://t.co/PefXCxc3G1" / Twitter

EuM4_ZeXUAcjVuy

EuM4-XEWYAYKnMk

Edit:
seems like caches are still split, so no infinity-cache (never really expected that).

Eyeballing it, looks like 2 X 4MB L3 for the CPU so same size as XSX / Renior.

Surprise to no-one, I'm sure.

Also lmao Red Gaming Tech.

EuM4_ZeXUAcjVuy

EuM4-XEWYAYKnMk

Edit:
Surprised to see it is designed exactly as most expected really and there is IC/Zen3 cache missing. RGT and that Moore guy has some explaining to do.

Looks like same Zen2 CPU cluster as XSX attached to Navi 10 GPU layout.

EOsQzSfW4AEGzKT.jpg

Well, I guess they might have just cut some instruction sets, Sony thinks that are not needed for games. E.g AVX is really energy hungry. Might be something sony get rid of, so the CPU does not draw all the power away from the GPU. This is just an example, why they might have cut some things.

Maybe they've cut the AVX unit back to 128-bit? Should save some die and ensure significantly lower peak power draw...?

Dream is over...

the only thing that comes to mind is AVX. Not sure what else is included in the Floating Point Unit for Zen.

From Anandtech: @Ian Cutress
The key highlight improvement for floating point performance is full AVX2 support. AMD has increased the execution unit width from 128-bit to 256-bit, allowing for single-cycle AVX2 calculations, rather than cracking the calculation into two instructions and two cycles. This is enhanced by giving 256-bit loads and stores, so the FMA units can be continuously fed. AMD states that due to its energy aware scheduling, there is no predefined frequency drop when using AVX2 instructions (however frequency may be reduced dependent on temperature and voltage requirements, but that’s automatic regardless of instructions used)

Maybe they've cut the AVX unit back to 128-bit? Should save some die and ensure significantly lower peak power draw...?

I get what you're saying but isn't this idea totally little insane? Makes no sense, AVX is useful and I don't believe the work to remove instructions from the transistors in the FPU isn't worthy.
Also, Zen 2's energy consumption on 7nm shouldn't be a problem on a high performing hardware.

Surprised to see it is designed exactly as most expected really and there is IC/Zen3 cache missing. RGT and that Moore guy has some explaining to do.

Or maybe Fritz was drunk and shot the wrong die?
Man... the fanboys conservationists will have a field day with this. I can already hear they claiming PS5 not only uses RDNA1 for it's CPU, now the CPU was confirmed to be Zen 1.
No idea how can they justify the thing performing almost the same and some times better than the SeriesX however...

This Zen 1 diagram.
AMD-Ryzen-Slide-4.jpg

I'll be honest in saying, using only your eyes, I think you'd likely only be able to notice the FPU was missing entirely, the likelihood someone could differentiate between 128 and 256 on this is pretty nuts from an x-ray; that's one hell of a call I should say. I'd be hesitant to even make it without verifying with others.

Need to wait for more info, people are definitely going to working on this for the next couple of days. Removal of the FPU unit entirely does seem slightly disappointing if true, but support for AVX1 still is useful, just not as good as AVX2 (if they somehow manage to make that call from teh Xray). Type of thing is very useful to have to handle complex worlds. Like managing 1000 doors if they are open and closed, or walking through automated door sensors etc. The more items to manage, you're going to need to vectorize to increase the speed of processing those loops.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying but isn't this idea totally little insane? Makes no sense, AVX is useful and I don't believe the work to remove instructions from the transistors in the FPU isn't worthy.
Also, Zen 2's energy consumption on 7nm shouldn't be a problem on a high performing hardware.

I'd have thought you'd be better off with it in as you say (and I'm just speculating on a possible reason for FPU changes that might not even exist!), but every mm^2 and every watt consumed will be carefully thought about. Cerny did talk about power consumption of certain CPU operations, so even on 7nm CPU power draw is a really big consideration.

This Zen 1 diagram.
AMD-Ryzen-Slide-4.jpg

I'll be honest in saying, using only your eyes, I think you'd likely only be able to notice the FPU was missing entirely, the likelihood someone could differentiate between 128 and 256 on this is pretty nuts from an x-ray; that's one hell of a call I should say. I'd be hesitant to even make it without verifying with others.

When Zen 2 came out the 256FPU was very obvious and easy to see on the dieshots. It looked like the Zen 1 FPU was mirrored.
Found this Renoir dieshot with annotations. Fritz image is hard to see, but we can see enough to noticed that the FPU looks "thinner"?

fxRNWcM.jpeg

locuza_ said:
My interpretation of the floor plan PS5 floor plan:
1. Bomba surprise that Sony likely cut down the 256-Bit FP pipes to just 128-Bit.
2. No Infinity Cache/L3$, also not on the Xbox Series.
3. Might have the old Render Backend design, need higher res to say for sure.
4. The WGPs are arranged as on RDNA1 GPUs with two sub-arrays.
Same goes for the Xbox Series.
Navi21/22/23, Van Gogh and Rembrandt only have one sub-array for all WGPs.
5. Higher res needed for a closer FPU look, GPU frontend analysis and details like the Tempest Audio engine.

I'm not aware what much of this means, but dropping it here

Back