Microsoft rumored to be buying...... [2020-04, 2020-07, 2020-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems there are some rumblings about microsoft possibly in talks to acquire techland

Shpeshal Ed on Twitter: "So the studio and game ACG was referring to...I did some digging and asked around. I’m fairly certain he’s talking about Techland and Dying Light 2" / Twitter

not much source wise but techland seems like a good acquisition, they are privately held and most recently released dying light. They are also rumoured to be releasing Dying Light 2 this year.

I think it would be a good pick up. I loved dying light. But i hear dying light 2 is in dev hell. Maybe that's just what Techland needs is a more stable financing hand like microsoft. I could see them being put together with the team behind state of decay and make a zombie dream team

MS is first-person powerhouse LMAO.

Considering that Perfect Dark supposed to be a first person game with Mirror's Edge like traversals, I wonder if they want to purchase Techland for some experience in that area. Not to mention maybe TES will finally have good animations lol

I suppose embracer could be next (but thats not happening lol)

I saw someone suggest that techland should make a shadowrun game, could be pretty awesome
I loved the shooter MS made based on Shadow run. It was 10 years to early or so but now so many fps games have classes like that game had.

I think it would be a good pick up. I loved dying light. But i hear dying light 2 is in dev hell. Maybe that's just what Techland needs is a more stable financing hand like microsoft.

Chris Avellone, DL2's second lead writer, was fired over numerous sexual misconduct claims so Techland are presumably on a third lead writer now. They are still avidly supporting the original game, I've seen 2 or 3 patches for the game since nextegn consoles launched but alas no nextgen performance boost patch.

Chris Avellone, DL2's second lead writer, was fired over numerous sexual misconduct claims so Techland are presumably on a third lead writer now. They are still avidly supporting the original game, I've seen 2 or 3 patches for the game since nextegn consoles launched but alas no nextgen performance boost patch.

I know this means nothing but I thought it was neat,
someone noticed that a lot of microsofts acquisitions mostly have something to do with Chris Avellone or private division.
fun fact Chris Avellone also worked on vampyre 2 with paradox before he got outed and his writing removed form the project, so maybe thats more fuel on the paradox fire? (not really)

fun fact Chris Avellone also worked on vampyre 2 with paradox before he got outed and his writing removed form the project, so maybe thats more fuel on the paradox fire? (not really)
Chris Avellone certainly seemed to have 'fun'. :runaway:

I know this means nothing but I thought it was neat,
someone noticed that a lot of microsofts acquisitions mostly have something to do with Chris Avellone or private division.
Sleeper agent lol

I'm going to speculate that you were boycotting NV products because they modified the output of benchmarks via drivers to give them better results when ATi was blowing them out of the water during the DirectX 9 transition.
AMD does this now. Their tessellation output is capped and not identical to nVidia's nor the level that the software requests.

MS buying Techland wouldn't really give them a lot of IP, but I do love dying light, and would be really sad if DL2 never comes out. Also, Microsoft would get the Chrome IP, so which they would never use because they already have a scifi shooter. A good Call of Juarez game could be interesting, though.

The servers aren't up anymore.

Now I remember why I never played it. PvP only. Knew there was a reason and just couldn't pull it out of the old memory box. Remember being rather unhappy at the time. Had been waiting for something that was Shadowrun themed but built like Cyberpunk 2077 was supposed to be. I think I banished it from my memory in disappointment. Nothing to do with the brain being full and old. Nope.

AMD does this now. Their tessellation output is capped and not identical to nVidia's nor the level that the software requests.

Yeah what NV was doing back then was way worse than that. They were rewriting shaders entirely and inserting clipping planes in a way that would have broken things if users had camera control.

An argument can be made that the tessellation levels are set unreasonably high in a way that isn't representative of actual use cases in actual games and to benefit NV, and that the capped levels are more representative of what AMD cards will do in actual games.

Even with that said it's still not great that AMD is doing that, but it's not anywhere near what NV was doing. The numbers NV was getting by messing with the benchmarks were far off from actual game performance. DX9 titles had awful performance on those cards.

I don't want to derail any further so that's the last I'll say on it, but everyone on here back in the day was livid when we found out they were doing that. And Silent Buddha was definitely around back then.

AMD's tessellation optimizations aren't just active for benchmarks. They active at the driver level and I haven't seen a website or video ever benchmark with them off unless they were specifically investigating the feature. In that I mean that basically any game that uses tessellation is being altered from what the original game code is calling for. I would put that on the same level of shiest as nVidia replacing shaders like they had done in the past. But, in that era ATi wasn't immune to those types of tactics either. Do a search for "ATi Quack" and you'll see what I mean, where they were rendering quake 3 at lower than user selected settings to win in benchmarks even though it had a negative impact to image quality.

I will say that I think AMD's tessellation optimization is useful in that it's a mostly unnoticeable in terms of image quality, but it makes almost every benchmark invalid as an apples to apples comparison because they are doing different amounts of work. In AMD's defense, it's a driver feature that can be turned off, unlike the shadiness of the past

I wonder if somebody will purchase Crytek eventually.

I doubt it would be Microsoft at this point in time. I think they would have a lot of trouble buying up a second engine.

I think sony is just investing in Epic vs buying an engine out right. If they invest enough they can have a larger say in what the engine evolves to.

I don't see nintendo buying one

Amazon already bought an older version of cryengine and forked it to lumber yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back