Formula 1 - 2021 Season

yeah the percentages of competitors is rising, not a good look imho

A little bit OT:
Magnussen enjoying Cadillac IMSA car after "easy to drive" F1 machinery,
https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/154776/magnussen-enjoying-not-easy-cadillac-imsa-car

"Formula 1 cars are fantastic, obviously the fastest cars in the world, and I'm very thankful I achieved my dream of racing in Formula 1. But the cars are actually easy to drive.

"If you put any good race driver in a Formula 1 car, they would say the same thing. The electronic systems control most of the car's performance.

"With the Cadillac there is much more that you control as the driver.

"And the sound! The Formula 1 engines sound kind of 'blah' these days. Hearing the engine behind you in the Cadillac, you know you're in a race car."
:mrgreen:

Hamilton signed for Mercedes finally. 1 year contract. Wolff denied rumors about veto right regarding teammate. Salary is rumored to be same as last year but not sure if that was confirmed anywhere.

They are looking into synthetic fuels. Hopefully that takes off. Personally I find that a much more interesting proposition anyway because while electric might work for something like a town car, unless there is a major revolution in battery tech they don't really make sense for anything that needs to travel far. For example I don't think something like an battery powered container ship or jumbo jet is very likely.

Also, I bought Newey's book, How to build a car. Good read with some interesting tidbits I didn't knew. Would recommend reading it.

There was a jet powered car in F1. I discovered this while playing a 1971 mod for f1 challenge i kept hearing a strange whistling noise, turned out to be the Lotus 56 driven by Emerson Fittipaldi
It had terrible throttle response you had to engage full throttle about 2 seconds before you needed it.

They are looking into synthetic fuels. Hopefully that takes off. Personally I find that a much more interesting proposition anyway because while electric might work for something like a town car, unless there is a major revolution in battery tech they don't really make sense for anything that needs to travel far. For example I don't think something like an battery powered container ship or jumbo jet is very likely.
Dont discount electric so quick for cars.
Theres been a few breakthroughs recently with super capacitors, WRT cars these allow electric cars to fully charge in seconds at a station. Soon Im guessing cars will come with both battery and super capacitor and perhaps in a decade or 2 fully SC powered.
The reason supercapacitors are not used at the moment is cost and energy storage, IIRC this breakthrough greatly increased its storage now I think its like 1/3rd of a battery.
Table_blog-1536x826.png

yeah saw that, not good. cant hide this as webbo did when he got hit by a car and raced with fractures

hope its not serious and that he can be ready for the season start

Tough break (sadly literally, it sounds like). I really wanted to see Alpine start off strong against McLaren, who might be slightly compromised by switching engines (even if it’s a better one).

Maybe he broke more than a tooth. Would his reflexes be good enough to sacrifice his face over his arms in a crash, or did the car just shoot out of an intersection and t-bone him, propelling him off his bike face first?

Besides that I doubt anyone can do that, probably just natural reaction to use your arms to break your fall, even if you could, who would sacrifice their face over their arms? All the important bits are in your head and your arms can take quite a beating, much more so than your head. I don't see the logic is preferring to get your head smashed.

I just think the cold calculation of a hyper-competitive person making a split-second decision to sacrifice their (not used for racing) teeth for their hands is an amusing (because it’s theoretical!) dilemma.

According to the latest Missed Apex podcast, his view was obscured by some parked cars (and presumably the road curvature?), so he didn’t see someone turning into a supermarket parking lot. Brutal.

Back