Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. The GP subscriber makes their home console the one they want to share on. So my son has chosen my console as his home console so everyone that plays on my console gets GamePass. He also gets it anywhere he is logged in, including his Xbox One.

I don't even get the point of physical distribution with the size of patches games require.

The point is actually having a factor of ownership over the art you bought, which you don't have with digital versions.
I trade my physical games with my friends all the time, and we choose the single player games we buy or gift each other accordingly. I do this among at least 3 friends, but sometimes among a larger group of 6-7.
I know there's an alt account mode on the PS4/5 but afaik that's only for sharing games among 2 accounts and we'd need to switch users.

And another interesting thing that happened just last week: someone gifted a PS4 to the local orphanage, so they were looking for games for the kids to play on.
I ended up gifting a bunch of great games that I'm not playing anymore or eventually came up on Plus.
I really like the idea of getting kids to play Uncharted and Final Fantasy XV instead of potentially going to the streets doing who knows what.
And none of it would be possible with digital-only consoles.

I think the console holders have done a terrible job of making sure off-line play is a viable alternative. In part, I know, it was on purpose in others for it simply not being a priority.

Regardless, I wish we could undo that mistake, but sadly don't see that happening in the near future. Its a tech-indurstry wide problem, not just consoles.

So, evidently the XBS-X can play some PS2 titles. Obviously this isn't official and it requires you to pay for a dev account (20 USD I believe) and it has the same or more limitations as PC PCSX2.

[Xbox Series X|S] Retroarch PS2 Emulation Setup Guide - YouTube

There's also a link in there to a video on how to remove the 2 GB file limit that I've seen mentioned in some articles.

More importantly, this means that in theory, Sony could roll out a PS2 emulator if it wanted to. And a PS1 emulator if it wanted to. If the PS5 could run PS1-4 games, I would be sorely tempted to buy one if they released a smaller version in the future.

Regards,
SB

I have the retail version of RetroArch on my XSX, and PCSX2 is an extreme hit-or-miss: it doesn't render the pause menu properly, it by default display games in a letter box, and for some games the stuttering is so severe they are unplayable.

Curiously I thought the PCSX2 only ever made it to run on 32-bit x86, but UWP apps that are deployable on Xbox are required to be 64-bit. Also on consoles Data Execution Prevention is usually enabled, but cores like Dolphin and PCSX2 require JIT, so I'm curious on how they dealt with that.

So, evidently the XBS-X can play some PS2 titles. Obviously this isn't official and it requires you to pay for a dev account (20 USD I believe) and it has the same or more limitations as PC PCSX2.

[Xbox Series X|S] Retroarch PS2 Emulation Setup Guide - YouTube

There's also a link in there to a video on how to remove the 2 GB file limit that I've seen mentioned in some articles.

More importantly, this means that in theory, Sony could roll out a PS2 emulator if it wanted to. And a PS1 emulator if it wanted to. If the PS5 could run PS1-4 games, I would be sorely tempted to buy one if they released a smaller version in the future.

Regards,
SB

Its expected , we are getting to the point where raspberry pie 4 can play ps2 games.

Gamecube on a pi 4 works really well with pie 4 being only a year old. Wii is to slow still. Hopefully they invest more time into the drivers

So the ps5/ xbox series should have no trouble with the ps2.

I think sony is holding emulation in its back pocket. I think they will try and add it as a streaming only feature when they revamp theirs .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back