Microsoft acquires ZeniMax Media (Bethesda, id Software, Arkane + 5 more) [2020-09-21, 2021-03-09]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shorter time between announcement and release the less time (if any) a reviewer has to play the game to get a true sense of the whole rather than the preferred first act slice.

Less chance of an early trailer resulting in "downgrades" hysteria on the interwebs, so swings and roundabouts. ;-)

The EU has found no issues with the merger yet and relevant third parties have been notified they have until the 15th to submit any complaints.

This is a prior notification of a decision, not a final decision. They've opened up input to third parties on the planned acquisition:

EULEX said:
3. On preliminary examination, the Commission finds that the notified transaction could fall within the scope of the Merger Regulation. However, the final decision on this point is reserved.

4. The Commission invites interested third parties to submit their possible observations on the proposed operation to the Commission.
I assume this is because Microsoft are eating an engine. Now I don't know any games using the id Tech engine other than id but if any there are any unannounced licensees, this gives them the opportunity to obtain reassurance that the proposed way forward allows their existing licensing commitments to continue. The fact that id Tech only supports Vulkan could have some weird anti-trust concerns but most known AAA/AA games in development are known to be using other engines. The Commission occasionally approve acquisitions with conditions and they sure do like fining Microsoft. :yep2:

I assume this is because Microsoft are eating an engine. Now I don't know any games using the id Tech engine other than id but if any there are any unannounced licensees, this gives them the opportunity to obtain reassurance that the proposed way forward allows their existing licensing commitments to continue. The fact that id Tech only supports Vulkan could have some weird anti-trust concerns but most known AAA/AA games in development are known to be using other engines. The Commission occasionally approve acquisitions with conditions and they sure do like fining Microsoft. :yep2:
Other than id, yes, but they're all owned by ZeniMax. Last id Tech engine licensed by outside studio was id Tech 4, licensed by Splash Damage, Raven Software, Humanhead Studios and Ritual Entertainment back when id was still independent. When id Tech 5 was released they were already under ZeniMax wings.

Other than id, yes, but they're all owned by ZeniMax. Last id Tech engine licensed by outside studio was id Tech 4, licensed by Splash Damage, Raven Software, Humanhead Studios and Ritual Entertainment back when id was still independent. When id Tech 5 was released they were already under ZeniMax wings.
Then the EU are considering something else. That's why I kicked off with "I assume.."

Kinda neat that Zenimax would be going into a new subsidiary called The Vault. Paying respects to Fallout I'm sure.

Tommy McClain

Kinda neat that Zenimax would be going into a new subsidiary called The Vault. Paying respects to Fallout I'm sure.
Does the higher-level entity that is Zenimax even need to exist? Individual studios have their marketing teams (Todd Howard is a one-man marketing machine) and Microsoft Game Studios are a publisher.

Microsoft acquires within the meaning of Article 3(1)(b) of the Merger Regulation sole control of the whole of ZeniMax. The concentration is accomplished by way of a merger pursuant to which a newly created Microsoft subsidiary (‘Vault’) will be merged with and into ZeniMax.

My assumption is that Zenimax name will not exist. It will instead be called The Vault & house all the developers from Zenimax. I doubt the name of the developers will change.

Tommy McClain

My assumption is that Zenimax name will not exist. It will instead be called The Vault & house all the developers from Zenimax. I doubt the name of the developers will change.
Sure, but do Microsoft Game Studios need two publishing arms? MSG and Zenimax/The Vault?

When EU runs out of money, it tries to get it from the american companies
The EU's case was against Microsoft's European HQ in Dublin which is also the international organisation Microsoft use to avoid taxes. Just like Amazon, Apple, Google, HP etc. You can't both avoid taxes using an EU tax haven and not be fined. :nope:

Also, Microsoft's Dublin campus? More impressive than their HQ in Seattle. Ask anybody who has been to both. I have been to both.

Sure, but do Microsoft Game Studios need two publishing arms? MSG and Zenimax/The Vault?

If you don't want to rock the boat, you may plan to let them continue their travels until such a time unification makes sense. I don't know how long a time would be required to minimize impacts. Is it 2 years, maybe 3, perhaps 5?

If you don't want to rock the boat, you may plan to let them continue their travels until such a time unification makes sense. I don't know how long a time would be required to minimize impacts. Is it 2 years, maybe 3, perhaps 5?
I'll be frank. I have no sodding idea what a publisher does apart from stump up money for development. :-| Hence my question..

I'll be frank. I have no sodding idea what a publisher does apart from stump up money for development. :-| Hence my question..

You forgot other things, although some companies are more into them than others.
  • Stick their noses in things and muck things up - MS, for example, starting from a few years after Molyneux becomes habitually late shipping anything until a bit after Phil takes over.
  • Run studios into the ground - here's looking at you EA
  • Probably some other things I'm not thinking of. :p
Regards,
SB

But do they really need unification? I mean MS' current approach will might take other companies more interested in acquisitions - like if you a studio you can go under publisher branch, if you are a publisher you can have your own branch.

Depends on how keen you are to remove perceived redundancies from payroll.
Surely people in Zenimax who have duplicate jobs to those in MGS will notice notice something has changed.

Bob, you are now in charge of counting the moon.
Steve, you need to ensure that 'Wednesday' is spelt correctly in all correspondence.
Kim, you need to double down on pretending we care about customers.
Kaley, you need to talk more like a pirate.​

Job done.

Tommy McClain

Who says the vault is only for zenimax ?

The Vault company won't exist after the merger. It's there only to facilitate limiting legal liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back