Sony PS6, Microsoft neXt Series - 10th gen console speculation [2020]

Yes and now what 2 years later they are doing another transition. Great for customers lol
Yeah, the amount of customers complaining that their M1 Macs a) start instantly, b) run faster, and c) last 4-6 hours longer is rampant. You do yourself no favours pretending to be non-partisan when you post nonsense like this.

ARM is a pretty easy to exploit quickly, ARM themselves supply reference designs and third parties take those, sometime implement improvements, and sell then. ARM should be really easy for AMD to implement if they see a market for it.

Yeah, the amount of customers complaining that their M1 Macs a) start instantly, b) run faster, and c) last 4-6 hours longer is rampant. You do yourself no favours pretending to be non-partisan when you post nonsense like this.

ARM is a pretty easy to exploit quickly, ARM themselves supply reference designs and third parties take those, sometime implement improvements, and sell then. ARM should be really easy for AMD to implement if they see a market for it.

Dsoup , I have never once said anything about any of the things you posted. I have only talked about software compatibility. Apple has made two transitions in 2 years rendering lots of software unusable. I know many people who have complained and many who wont buy m1's until their software gets updated to support it or frankly until they are no longer able to get other mac books that support the software they currently use and are forced to.

But don't worry your comment really powned me.

By ARM you Mean Nvidia right ? Since Nvidia is in the process of purchasing them. Which will mean that AMD will be at the mercy of one of their biggest competitors. AMD has been in that situation the whole time with Intel and it hasn't really be the greatest experience for them. Except with intel at least they have leverage by owning the x64 patents where as going with ARM they would own nothing to leverage and keep control of the tech.

Dsoup , I have never once said anything about any of the things you posted. I have only talked about software compatibility. Apple has made two transitions in 2 years rendering lots of software unusable. I know many people who have complained and many who wont buy m1's until their software gets updated to support it or frankly until they are no longer able to get other mac books that support the software they currently use and are forced to.
Apple M1 Macs run existing 80x86 (except Bootcamp/Windows) just fine. In many cases, the M1 Macs run 80x86 code faster than real 80x86. This is genuinely the first I am hearing about software not working or needing to be updated. :???:

And by ARM I mean ARM. Nvidia do not yet have approval to buy them and not only cannot I see that decision coming quickly, the only way Nvidia will get approval to buy ARM is they maintain the existing business model of advancing and licensing their tech to other companies because too many other industries rely on this and without it we're back to an Intel monopoly.

That whole Nvidia purchasing ARM thing is still very much in the air. In fact it might still be that the english government step in to either a) block the sale or b) put that many restrictions on what Nvidia can do with it they probably won't bother. ARM should always remain independent there are far too many other companies and services that rely on the open access to their designs for a company like Nvidia to be trusted with managing.

That whole Nvidia purchasing ARM thing is still very much in the air. In fact it might still be that the english government step in to either a) block the sale or b) put that many restrictions on what Nvidia can do with it they probably won't bother. ARM should always remain independent there are far too many other companies and services that rely on the open access to their designs for a company like Nvidia to be trusted with managing.
Exactly, NVIDIA's acquisition of ARM will have zero bearing on any other company's ability to license ARM otherwise regulators would step in. This is the sole reason Apple didn't need or want to buy ARM despite planning to license their ISA for the foreseeable future. AMD could license ARM's ISA without any hiccups at all.

Apple M1 Macs run existing 80x86 (except Bootcamp/Windows) just fine. In many cases, the M1 Macs run 80x86 code faster than real 80x86. This is genuinely the first I am hearing about software not working or needing to be updated. :???:

And by ARM I mean ARM. Nvidia do not yet have approval to buy them and not only cannot I see that decision coming quickly, the only way Nvidia will get approval to buy ARM is they maintain the existing business model of advancing and licensing their tech to other companies because too many other industries rely on this and without it we're back to an Intel monopoly.

okay https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/macOS-Big-Sur-Support

I'll wait to compare amd and intels 5nm offerings to the m1 since that is a 5nm design

Maybe , maybe not. Why would you go all in on something that is up in the air like that ?

"I know many people" - what are they waiting for? Even if their software is not made native atm, they will likely see a performance boost under Rosetta. About half of my apps are not native on my M1 Mini but I would neve know it outside of waiting a bit for it to launch after an update and it's compiling.

The 32->64 bit transition? Yes, for games (uh, Mac games) it was rough. But what about this transition to M1 is making 'lots of software unusable'? It may not be flawless with every app but by and large, it's been extremely successful.

I have parallels beta running linux on mine and can install windows as well. Any serious professional who needs software to work won't have issues. In the event that its a serious hiccup they only have to wait a few months until their software is supported on the new hardware. In the mean time they can use their old hardware. not a big deal. On consoles this wouldn't be an issue especially with emulation software. Especially for a company like MSFT.

I'm sure you are aware that this is a different scenario from what you described, this is Avid not yet supporting macOS 11 Big Sur's new I/O model (on intel or ARM). Simple: don't upgrade. For folks who need to upgrade for other reasons and/or still want to run 32-bit apps (you're original complaint) the solution is very simple and solvable without spending a penny. :yes:

Yes very different than me saying that Apple's transitions in the past have been problematic for users. I guess its not a problem for these users.

Yes very different than me saying that Apple's transitions in the past have been problematic for users. I guess its not a problem for these users.
If by "the past" you mean 2001 when OS X (macOS 10) was realised, sure. "Big Sur" is macOS 11 and the first substantial change to the OS in twenty years. The deprecation of 32-bit code in 2019's Catalina wasn't that big a deal because 1) you could chose to not update or b) run macOS Mojave in VirtualBox and run 32-bit from there for few odds and sods of software that was not updated - without spending a penny. MacOS is virtualisation-friendly so is real light on resources in a virtual machine.

If by "the past" you mean 2001 when OS X (macOS 10) was realised, sure. "Big Sur" is macOS 11 and the first substantial change to the OS in twenty years. The deprecation of 32-bit code in 2019's Catalina wasn't that big a deal because 1) you could chose to not update or b) run macOS Mojave in VirtualBox and run 32-bit from there for few odds and sods of software that was not updated - without spending a penny. MacOS is virtualisation-friendly so is real light on resources in a virtual machine.

I think Apple has always been touted as a good example of a company that executes such transitions efficiently. MSFT did the same with their transition from x86 to Power PC back to x86. I see no reason why they wouldn't move to RISC again with ARM ISA. It would be huge for their next gen xbox and also to bring down their server costs for their cloud gaming. I think even HPC is moving to ARM. The Fugaku uses ARM chips.

For us end-users, it doesnt really matter what kind of hardware is in the PS6, Xbox, or gaming PCs and phones. If its faster and more efficient, im ok with that, aslong prices dont rise alot.

Looks like the ARM Nvidia deal is already dead anyway.
Such articles are heavilly misguided when they make distinctions between markets and governments. Governments serve economic interests.
They are part of the market. Governments want to gain ground over other governments for economic reasons. They are competing. The US didnt ban Huawei because they are immorally doing espionage. It is because both countries are fighting to gain the bigger pie of the wireless market. The information they collect and will collect, and the aspects of our societies that will be connected to the wireless network and cloud services are massive. They will have access to everything. From traffic circulation to what's in your fridge. Everything. The US knows what China does because thats what they do too and they are after the same thing as well.
It is the reason why US fought Huawei and China prevented the merger between NVIDA and ARM. The espionage and each government's efforts to expand their local businesses happen on behalf of interests.

A merger between NVIDIA and ARM would have excluded a massive economy in China from having access to the technology too. There is nothing innovative or good about that. Its an economic war.

In addition NVIDIA would have had access to a lot more information and technology than any of it's competitors that will want to get there like AMD and we are already having a strong oligopoly in that market.

If the market was really honest, open source and free or aiming towards innovation to help societies, companies would have been sharing information and technologies without hesitation, without owning patents or having exclusive access, without requiring mergers. But this is a profit driven economy. This is why China and the US government respond the way they do, this is why companies try to eliminate competition, and this is why regulators become necessary when in a truly honest and free market that strived towards the betterment of society they wouldnt have existed.

Looks like the ARM Nvidia deal is already dead anyway.

I particularly liked the headphone segment "it's a classic example of geopolitics killing innovation" because ARM sure seems to be lacking innovation. It's blind luck that ARM is owns 95% of the mobile device market. :yep2: Poor ARM are screwed without Nvidia telling them what to do.

Back