Control [XO, PS4]

I've been playing this lately and am almost at the end. I've been playing it on and off for over a year though lol. I mostly enjoy the weird sci-fi, but the combat, storytelling and characters are almost superficial to it all. And there are so many text documents yikes.

I set most effects on Low in order to be able to run it at 2560x1440. Textures on Ultra however. I think it looks better with more resolution than more of the effects.

I have a screenshot of their SSAO casting a funky volumetric darkness in the air, off a radio antenna. Will post later heh.

Last edited:
@Rootax I played Control at basically 720p medium-ish (so I could get high frame rates) and no RT on my 1060 at the time, and I'd probably say it was my game of the year. The visuals are pretty noisy. A lot of the screen space effects have this weird dithering. I believe it's a combination of the GI and screen space reflections being massively low resolution. It can look pretty ugly at times. Not to mention even on PCs with lots of VRAM textures will stream in late (there are mods to address this issue), and their AA takes a number of frames to converge.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, but I have never had these issues on my PC. Could some of these streaming issues be related to storage type, configuration, and speed?

Texture streaming delays aren't exactly unusual with games made in the last 15 years so eh whatever. I see it happen occasionally with Control. I only really notice it on things I want to read.

Something else just came to mind. DX12 is supposed to be avoided if you aren't using the RT stuff. I've found it has load times much shorter than DX11. Overall performance doesn't seem to be noticeably different with my 1080.

SSAO curiosity on antenna. I'm not a big fan of SSAO, but the character models need it to look good.
Control 1_27_2021 10_20_00 PM.jpg Control 1_27_2021 10_20_32 PM.jpg

Last edited:
No, even with a fast nvme you can see high res textures swap in from the low res ones late. It tends to happen with things like paintings, posters and signs.

Yeah, I haven't really noticed those particular issues and the vast majority of my games are on NVMe raid configured drives. But still, I'll be on the lookout for these particular issues with Control.

Yeah, I haven't really noticed those particular issues and the vast majority of my games are on NVMe raid configured drives. But still, I'll be on the lookout for these particular issues with Control.

Some people seem to say it's a dx12 issue and the problem is much less prominent in dx11. People are working on mods to fix it: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/2035-control-blurry-textures-fix/

I've definitely seen it. I have a samsung 970 evo plus nvme drive.

I don't think the texture pop-in is storage related. Maybe a hard drive would be slow enough to make it worse, but I was running around watching portrait textures load in and there wasn't much disk activity happening.

Just finished the game. Pretty cool, mind bender ending. And I realized Director Trench is played by James McCaffrey.

Back