Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

Stadia as service makes sense. I hope stadia isn't dying, choice is good thing to have. Nvidia is doing similar thing with their hw+sw if I have understood correctly. Though it makes more sense for nvidia as they can sell hw in addition to sw.

The initial partners – including Softbank Corp., of Japan, and LG U+, of Korea – will begin deploying the optimized RTX Servers with NVIDIA-managed GeForce NOW software, expanding GeForce NOW into new markets that complement the current beta availability in North America and Europe.
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/03/19/geforce-now-alliance/

Jade went from Ubi to EA to Google.
Where does she go next?

Amazon? :)

As much as you can tell from looking at someone's career history, looks like she could have a wealth of options.

From the outside looks like a bummer few years though. Left EA as Amy Henning's Star Wars project was canned and the studio she set up (Motive) hasn't delivered much.* And then Stadia, where they pull the plug on first party development after 2 yrs. You can see why she'd leave.

*Not saying Squadrons isn't nice. It's not a mega blockbuster though.

Last edited:
Stadia as service makes sense. I hope stadia isn't dying, choice is good thing to have.
Their original model was kinda stupid, but the platform itself might fare just nice. It worked nicely and it seems - even looking at recent Fifa annoucement - Vulkan API is not a limitation per se. White label service is a way to go for it with some third parties on the service.

Considering that MS partnered with SpaceX, I wonder if we will have GamePass with Starlink somewhere on the road.

Amazon? :)

As much as you can tell from looking at someone's career history, looks like she could have a wealth of options.

From the outside looks like a bummer few years though. Left EA as Amy Henning's Star Wars project was canned and the studio she set up (Motive) hasn't delivered much.* And then Stadia, where they pull the plug on first party development after 2 yrs. You can see why she'd leave.

*Not saying Squadrons isn't nice. It's not a mega blockbuster though.
nah, Amazon is suffering under teh weight of technological choices.
Squadrons was very well received and a return to form for Star Wars and EA. While you're right that it didn't set the world on fire, many people were happy with it.

She's done good work honestly. If she can bank 1 more win, she'd be worthwhile to have in any studio. I would say that she had issues getting games launched from Ubisoft Toronto; not much happened there under her tenure.

They're also making odd decisions in hardware. Their newest hardware platform, the Google Chromecast with Google TV, is a solid piece of kit for streaming but they do not support Stadia on it.

Why would Google release a new Chromecast device and not support their very own Game Streaming platform on it? Google is promoting the hell out of it with bundles of Netflix making the cost $12 or YouTubeTV making it free, or even give them out free to YTTV subscribers before November 2019. It's not about performance, because it has plenty, and it's not about streaming codecs because it supports plenty. Conspiracy theorists might say it's because they know it's a dead product.

I remember chromecasts heating up and freezing and stuff when using stadia.

I think they should have made a fire tv like box that was moved away from the back of the tv and included a larger heatsink for the chip

https://www.pcmag.com/news/stadia-overheating-chromecast-ultra-units-causing-shutdowns

I remember chromecasts heating up and freezing and stuff when using stadia.

I think they should have made a fire tv like box that was moved away from the back of the tv and included a larger heatsink for the chip

https://www.pcmag.com/news/stadia-overheating-chromecast-ultra-units-causing-shutdowns

Yup. I have quite the monstrosity cable connection with the new CCwGTV, first up is the HDMI extension cable so its not sitting right on top of the AVR but at a place more convenient to plug it in. Then I hooked it up to a USB hub with wired Ethernet connection so its more stable connection.

Its a great piece of kit that I think would easily be able to handle the Stadia client but they don't officially support it for mysterious reasons.

I wish I had a 3D Printer and Skills to make a nice docking port like structure to better organize the device and hub and the hdmi, power, and ethernet connections. Its a bit like an Octopus now.

Yup. I have quite the monstrosity cable connection with the new CCwGTV, first up is the HDMI extension cable so its not sitting right on top of the AVR but at a place more convenient to plug it in. Then I hooked it up to a USB hub with wired Ethernet connection so its more stable connection.

Its a great piece of kit that I think would easily be able to handle the Stadia client but they don't officially support it for mysterious reasons.

I wish I had a 3D Printer and Skills to make a nice docking port like structure to better organize the device and hub and the hdmi, power, and ethernet connections. Its a bit like an Octopus now.
Yea , I just don't get the need to make everything as small as possible and remove active cooling

Like i get that people don't want a vcr sized box under their tv anymore but i don't need the thing as small as possible. Fire sticks are also god awful with over heating so I have to have a hdmi extender that then dangles in the back anyway and it still can over heat. I have never had an issue fire cube.

135333-tv-review-amazon-fire-tv-4k-review-image1-SgnrkaH109.jpg

This thing was still small but never had over heating problems also. But now they made it into a 4k stick .

But everyone does this. I love my surface products but why do they remove the active cooling from the i3 and i5 units. It just makes them get hotter than they need to get and what to save a few ounces or remove noise ?

I dunno maybe I'm just odd and would rather have function over form.

But everyone does this. I love my surface products but why do they remove the active cooling from the i3 and i5 units. It just makes them get hotter than they need to get and what to save a few ounces or remove noise ?

I dunno maybe I'm just odd and would rather have function over form.

Noiseless is quite an important function for a lot of people.

Noiseless is quite an important function for a lot of people.
it could be but in a portable device I would also argue being able to handle the device without burning your hand is also important. Or being able to use your work programs without the computer throttling while working on it.

Also I have access to both the surface pro 7 + i5 and i7 . The i7 has a fan and I can't ever notice the noise from the fan. However I can certainly feel a difference in the devices temp while holding it

it could be but in a portable device I would also argue being able to handle the device without burning your hand is also important. Or being able to use your work programs without the computer throttling while working on it.

I'd say your first point is hyperbole. As for your second point, I would value silence more than consistent performance in a laptop.

I'd say your first point is hyperbole. As for your second point, I would value silence more than consistent performance in a laptop.

In my home I have 6 surface products. Yesterday my surface book downloaded and installed the latest windows os update and the screen portion was to hot to touch. My surface pro will also heat up greatly while running more demanding applications. Its not really hyperbole.

It seems Terraria won't be coming to Stadia after bad experiences with Google in other aspects:

my account has now been disabled for over 3 weeks. I still have no idea why, and after using every resource I have to get this resolved you have done nothing but given me the runaround.

My phone has lost access to thousands of dollars of apps on @GooglePlay. I had just bought LOTR 4K and can't finish it. My @googledrive data is completely gone. I can't access my @YouTube channel. The worst of all is losing access to my @gmail address of over 15 years.

I absolutely have not done anything to violate your terms of service, so I can take this no other way than you deciding to burn this bridge. Consider it burned. #Terraria for @GoogleStadia is canceled. My company will no longer support any of your platforms moving forward.

I will not be involved with a corporation that values their customers and partners so little. Doing business with you is a liability.

Strange the situation, because they can't say why the account was disabled.
Unprofessional by Spinks because of their investments in Stadia, and the other developers at relogic that thrown in the bin their time on Stadia because the boss had a problem with his email.

wtf? Is this typical that google bans accounts? I haven't heard people complain about this before. I would hate to loose all my mails and backed up photos if google decided to ban me.

Back