Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

A 36-year old Venezuelan woman tests positive for covid in mid-December.

She tells her family that she has the flu. Husband is 33, a 17-year old daughter, and 4-year old twins.

By end of January, every member of the family has died.

https://www.newsweek.com/family-dies-woman-hides-positive-covid-test-1566735

So much for children can't get sick from covid.

She must have been shedding a lot of virus in December.
Do we have a large enough sample that proves it with statistical significance?

They will need to rethink their health care system. Relying on vaccines wont suffice for a lot of reasons. One is the mutation of the virus.
Secondly, another virus may appear in the future.
In the UK they run simulations of a supposed epidemic years ago and they saw that their health care system wouldnt be able to keep up.
They shelved the results instead of doing something for a possible future thread.
Now they are paying the price.

All mutations are protected by the current vaccines FYI.

It is unlikely that it will mutate enough to evade the vaccines in the short term. Here's a really interesting study showing how one of the human coronaviruses gradually evolved to evade earlier antibodies:

This will obviously occur with Covid-19 and, perhaps more quickly initially as it is such a novel virus which people's immune systems have no experience of dealing with. However, we know that immune memory for SARS is long-lasting (obviously SARS hasn't been mutating in millions of folk, however), so, once exposed, the majority of people will have better protection against the virus in the future.

I'd personally guess that, once everyone is vaccinated, those in wealthy nations will end up having booster shots every year or two for a while until it eventually becomes just another addition to the human coronavirus stable which doesn't cause much more than coughs and colds. And, of course, the research into potential treatments will continue apace and we will undoubtedly be paying a lot more attention to other potentially lethal viruses and working to produce treatments for them (there are some other really nasty viruses in bats as well).

You'd hope that the governments will be more prepared in the future for instant lockdowns if it appears a new virus is in circulation. I'd advocate a UBI even if at just a peppercorn level running in the background. If you then need to shut down the economy for a week or two, it is easy to just pump money into people's pockets (so to speak). But that's a political thing so probably not for this thread.

And since we FINALLY (after some 50 years of research) have mRNA vaccines, we are much better prepared for the next pandemic.
Historically there has been ~2 pandemics per century...but since the last one was 1918-1920 we have had some 100 years...which mean peole have forgotten how deadly these can be...and anti-vaxxer retards do not help either...but you cannot fix stupid:

A 36-year old Venezuelan woman tests positive for covid in mid-December.

She tells her family that she has the flu. Husband is 33, a 17-year old daughter, and 4-year old twins.

By end of January, every member of the family has died.

https://www.newsweek.com/family-dies-woman-hides-positive-covid-test-1566735

So much for children can't get sick from covid.

She must have been shedding a lot of virus in December.
Venezuelan people are having serious nutrition problems too.
This may aggravate the problem.

MAP: Covid-19 vaccination tracker across the U.S.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/map-covid-19-vaccination-tracker-across-u-s-n1252085

---------------

The wife and I got our first dose of the two-dose vaccine January 23, 2021 at the Fair Park Mega Center in Dallas. The second shot is scheduled for February 19, 2021.

So we are two of the 2,181,310 that have had at least the first shot in Texas and will add to the 2.1% that are Fully vaccinated on February 19th.

My sister got her first shot January 5th and second shot was Wednesday, February 3rd. It should have been done on the 2nd but scheduling made it rougher, so it slipped by 1 day. She had no symptoms or reactions to the first shot. One day after her second shot she had a raging fever (yesterday). It went over 103 but then broke later in the day and seemed to drop to 101. I haven't checked yet to see how she's doing today.

So it's progress to know that nurses working at hospitals are receiving their vaccine doses.

Venezuelan people are having serious nutrition problems too.
This may aggravate the problem.

And probably poor care. They're having economic and political problems so nobody in that family may have had any access to health care.

For instance, the kids might not have died if they got to hospital and they knew how to try to alleviate the symptoms or use some drugs which have some effect on covid, such as dexamethasone.

My sister got her first shot January 5th and second shot was Wednesday, February 3rd. It should have been done on the 2nd but scheduling made it rougher, so it slipped by 1 day. She had no symptoms or reactions to the first shot. One day after her second shot she had a raging fever (yesterday). It went over 103 but then broke later in the day and seemed to drop to 101. I haven't checked yet to see how she's doing today.

So it's progress to know that nurses working at hospitals are receiving their vaccine doses.

The immune response to the second shot is much stronger, also what gives the high efficacy.

Holy cow: 10% of the village of Corzano has the #B117 variant—10% of all residents! 60% of cases are kids from kindergarten and primary school, other 40% are their parents, says the mayor. Schools in the village now closed.

Another data point about the susceptibility of young kids to getting infected and infecting others.

Maybe the B117 variant will change the calculus on how vulnerable kids under 10 are.

I think the theory is that this variant leads to higher viral load so more obvious infections amongst children. It's probable that a lot of young children have been infected with the earlier variants, but just haven't had enough of a viral load to spread it much or show symptoms. If this is actually the case, it would be good in the longer term as young children will have begun to develop their immunity to this virus which will be with us all the time from now onwards.

I'm assuming that the vast majority (if not all) of these cases among the children in this town will be mild and their parents will most likely be OK due to their age. It is important to watch out for the inflammatory syndrome which a very small proportion of infected children will go on to develop.

Last edited:
They will need to rethink their health care system. Relying on vaccines wont suffice for a lot of reasons. One is the mutation of the virus.
Secondly, another virus may appear in the future.
In the UK they run simulations of a supposed epidemic years ago and they saw that their health care system wouldnt be able to keep up.
They shelved the results instead of doing something for a possible future thread.
Now they are paying the price.
My understanding is that the main problem was/is a too small number of specialized units. And there's little you can do about that: you can't oversize too much or costs will skyrocket. That doesn't mean the health care systems can't get better, it just means that there's only so much that can be done without costing too much and when facing brand new diseases.

I'm convinced no preparation could have prevented the various levels of resitrictions we've had; how do you prevent a contagion? By preventing people from getting close to each others until there's a vaccine, there's no way around that; letting a deadly virus spread hoping we'll be able to cure people in hospitals is silly.

Considering how the US embraced Nazis in it's own homeland after the WW2 and how they are excusing exploitation with the argument that the rich are there because they are smarter and better, I wouldnt have been surprised.
Eugenics runs through the mentality of the right wing American. Just like the Nazis.
I guess you know I was ironic :)

You need to read more than headlines.
Try looking at the data from South Africa.

Of those infected with COVID-19 that had the Astra-Vaccine:

- How many died?
- How many needed respirator?
- How many need hospitalization?

The devil is the details once again.

I think you link is wrong, so I cannot see your "source" btw
Holy cow, the link was wrong. Apologies!

I read the article, and it makes sense IMHO.

It's bad news that the AZ vaccine doesn't appear to offer much protection against mild disease in this variant, though perhaps not a surprise. If the variant is able to reinfect people who contracted earlier variants (which would be more like the protein spike used in the vaccine), then the same would tend to go for those vaccinated.

It's why we really need to know just how likely severe disease is after reinfection or vaccination. You can understand the SA authorities pausing their vaccination programme until this is known but it is going to take another trial to be sure one way or the other! Not good news.

I had hoped that we would be able to greatly get a grip on the course of the pandemic during 2021, but I'm now thinking that it's likely to take another year.

I heard the South Africa decision was made on a small scale study.

It may be that they have access to other vaccines so they decided to skip the AZ, which is cheaper.

Israel has has several reports indicating reductions in infection rates among those already vaccinated.

The latest is data from a lab showing much lower viral load among the over 60 cohort:

Israel’s largest COVID-19 testing lab says it has found evidence indicating that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine significantly reduces the transmissibility of the coronavirus, offering a tentative answer to one of the world’s most burning questions.

A paper published online Monday claims that positive test results of patients age 60 and over had up to 60 percent smaller viral loads on the test swab than the 40-59 age group, starting in mid-January, when most of Israel’s population age 60-plus had already been vaccinated with at least one dose.

The results were published by the MyHeritage lab, which handles more than 10,000 tests a day, in a study co-authored by several prominent scholars, including leading COVID-19 statistician Eran Segal of the Weizmann Institute of Science.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/vacci...-transmit-coronavirus-israeli-study-suggests/

The overall new case rate of Israel is still very high, much higher than for instance last summer and into the fall.

But they're gradually pushing out vaccinations to younger groups.

The question, of course, is what happens when (or perhaps if?) the SA variant hits Israel in the future. Will infections rise quickly once again for another wave, or will the Pfizer vaccine and pre-existing immunity from infection with other variants keep it in check? It has occurred to me that it would be very helpful if infection with the 'UK variant' provided convalescents with good protection against the SA variant. They share some of the same mutations so it would be very nice to see if the spread was slowed when it came across people with antibodies for the UK variant.

Back