AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

If AMD's Radeon division employee gives you crystal clear answer, you need to either accept it or prove to him he is wrong with facts and not guesses ;)
I'm saying that in case you didn't know who 3dcgi is.
I have no miracle view where i can see whats behind anonym names. But i have checked his webpage, so i think he is right :) Sorry but for me this is a little bit confusing.

@OlegSH
In the twitter post i wrote that also the "polygon" thrououtput went up 80% but the front end look simmilar like navi10 with 4 Rasterizer. Also it is confirmed by @3dcgi that it is 4 rasterizer ;)
So how will convert 80% more polygons into pixels when the rasterizer count keeps the same?

Last edited:
In the twitter post i wrote that also the "polygon" thrououtput went up 80% but the front end look simmilar like navi10 with 4 Rasterizer
It can have more HW triangle cull units per rasterizer or it can simply cull more primitives in Primitive Shaders due to more CUs in navi21

@OlegSH the cull units are the same like Navi10 when you belive in the slides of AMD with 8 poly/clock. So it should be realy have to do with primitive shaders.

It will be nice if @CarstenS can give use some Beyond3d Suite values about the polygon output. Will be intresting to see how id compared to ampere with its 7 GPC / Rasterizer

32 rasterized pixels per Rasterizer look like overkill to me because average triangle size these days seem to be way below 32 pixels in 1080 and 1440p, so such wide rasterizers won't be utilized to full extend on triangles with less than 32 pixels area.
Did we ever really understand this?

PARALLEL MICROPOLYGON RASTERIZERS - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (freepatentsonline.com)

Can anyone find a tessellation benchmark comparison of RDNA 1 and 2? Preferably with the driver's "balanced tessellation" setting disabled so that there's no restriction on tessellation factor?

I ran some tests comparing a 3090 to a 6900 for a tesselated height map landscape with ~30 million triangles on screen.
When viewed from above looking down, with all triangles front facing: 10 GTris/s versus 8 GTris/s for 3090 versus 6900
Wen viewed from ground level, with about half triangles front facing: 12 GTris/s versus 17 GTris/s

This is strange for Nvidia. They have Culling in Polymorp Engine which is 0.5 triangsl/clock. I think 3090 have a lot more polymorh engines?

Nvidia does have a higher culling rate than rasterization so there must be something about the workload that drops the 3090 from its peak rate.
I think NV varies the rate of geometry processing per SM over different SKUs, both for TDP reasons as well as product segmentation. For example, GM204 rate is 2 clocks per triangle, while its bigger sibling GM200 is slowed down to 3 cycles. These rates could be different for the professional models even further.

Radeon RX 6700 XT would have a starting price of 479 USD and see better availability (guru3d.com)
You can expect AMD to announce the Radeon RX 6700 XT on March 3 with a starting price between 479 and 499 dollars for the reference models.

Expect AIB cards to get more expensive though, in the 500 USD range. YT channel Moore's Law is Dead claims that there will be larger availability of the Radeon RX 6700 XT. However, where the channels is basing that on, is unknown. You also need to weigh in the current state of the cryptocurrency mining business. Radeon RX 6700 XT would be based on a NAVI 22 XT GPU, very likely 40 CUs/2560 SP. The memory should total 12 GB at 192 bits.

The base model is thought to outperform GeForce RTX 2080 Super, and would be roughly comparable to the RTX 3060 Ti which costs $399 (well, at least it should cost that). The OC variant of the 6700 XT would offer higher clock speeds and performance closing in on the RTX 3070 range, that card would however get a higher 230W TGP. AMD will formally present the card at 5:00 PM Western European Time upcoming Wednesday.

AMD is bringing Smart Access Memory’s frame rate boosts to Ryzen 3000 processors

++

EvkTufQWQAcAiOu

Last edited:
I think this was the first time AMD talked about ray tracing in more than a passing comment inside a slide. They seem pretty confident of their Resident Evil 8 implementation.

I think this was the first time AMD talked about ray tracing in more than a passing comment inside a slide. They seem pretty confident of their Resident Evil 8 implementation.

My guess is "4K" (Dynamic resolution) with RT shadows and very low setting RT Global Illumination...the hardware is not "magical" and we kinda already know it's clear limitations.

Back