Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGTech covers Division 2. PS5 typical resolution much lower.

PS5 - 2400x1350 - 1920x1080 typical range
XSX - 3840x2160 - 3200x1800 typical range

The versions tested were 1.30 on PS5 and 1.0.308.9856 on Xbox Series X|S. Note that the time of day and weather conditions aren't identical between platforms here. This version of the game is running via backwards compatibility on all three consoles.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Xbox Series X
05:43 - PS5
11:25 - Xbox Series S

PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 3072x1728 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. On PS5 native resolution pixel counts seem to often be between approximately 2400x1350 and 1920x1080. On PS5 there is a form of temporal reconstruction used that can increase the resolution up to 3840x2160.

Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2816x1584. On Xbox Series X native resolution pixel counts seem to often be between approximately 3840x2160 and 3200x1800. On Xbox Series X there is a form of temporal reconstruction used to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160 when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1600x900. On Xbox Series S native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be common. On Xbox Series S there is a form of temporal reconstruction used to increase the resolution up to 1920x1080 when rendering natively below this resolution.

The PS5 is missing screen space reflections which are present on both Xbox consoles. Edit: The PS5 is also missing fog that is present on both Xbox consoles.

The frame rate can be inconsistent on both Xbox consoles with the frame rate sometimes dropping into the forties or fifties during scenes that previously ran at 60fps http://bit.ly/2YPi44Q

This issue wasn't encountered on PS5.

It seems XBSX has a higher resolution and SSR and PS5 is locked at 60FPS. In my opinion, both are terrible patched backwards compatibility games.

Last edited:
Or the time is actually cpu related or something and not a measure of the SSD?
Not just the loading, it’s a poor BC title, why is the resolution capped at pro level? Etc

As stated, this is just running in BC mode - ie nothing was done

Not just the loading, it’s a poor BC title, why is the resolution capped at pro level? Etc

Well the gpu is at least not downclocked to ps4 pro level. And it seems the max resolution is normally not reached, so uncapping res just does not make sense.
The other thing I still assume is, that the bc mode is still limited to ps4 pros amount of memory. This would also explain why the res is not really higher than on the pro.

Well the gpu is at least not downclocked to ps4 pro level. And it seems the max resolution is normally not reached, so uncapping res just does not make sense.
The other thing I still assume is, that the bc mode is still limited to ps4 pros amount of memory. This would also explain why the res is not really higher than on the pro.
When it's running via BC the CPU and GPU can be downclocked compared to PS5 clocks. We have already seen this with AC Unity where the GPU (but not the CPU) was most likely running at Pro clocks. They can do that if they (Sony) think it's the only way to make it run correctly.

Last edited:
When it's running via BC the CPU and GPU can be downclocked compared to PS5 clocks. We have already seen this with AC Unity where the GPU (but not the CPU) was most likely running at Pro clocks. They can do that if they (Sony) think it's the only way to make it run correctly.
It is still running at 60 so no ps4 pro clocks there. The gpu has at least twice the work here because of 30 vs 60 fps. If the gpu would use pro clocks, it just couldn't run at 60.

Last edited:

Who knows what logic the game has to execute whilst loading, possible single thread stuff that's not ideal but originally with the slow HDD this was never going to be an issue. Thus the slow load is not an IO delay but a CPU one. As all the systems basically have the same CPU it would explain the times more than IO.

Microsoft advertise Control ultimate edition as Series optimised. Would BC games have access to the raytracing hardware given its in emulated GCN?

Have I some how got confused on the game in question?

It is still running at 60 so no ps4 pro clocks there. The gpu has at least twice the work here because of 30 vs 60 fps. If the gpu would use pro clocks, it just couldn't run at 60.
But at a much lower resolution and the game could run at 60fps on Pro if the game had a Zen 2 CPU (like XSS running at 60fps in most next gen games with a 4tf GPU). AC Unity is also usually running at 60fps on PS5, because the game is mostly CPU limited. Also from the github data we know the GPU clocks in BC mode can actually have specific values between the min and max.

Who knows what logic the game has to execute whilst loading, possible single thread stuff that's not ideal but originally with the slow HDD this was never going to be an issue. Thus the slow load is not an IO delay but a CPU one. As all the systems basically have the same CPU it would explain the times more than IO.

Microsoft advertise Control ultimate edition as Series optimised. Would BC games have access to the raytracing hardware given its in emulated GCN?

Yes, I was talking about Division 2

But at a much lower resolution and the game could run at 60fps on Pro if the game had a Zen 2 CPU (like XSS running at 60fps in most next gen games with a 4tf GPU). AC Unity is also usually running at 60fps on PS5, because the game is mostly CPU limited. Also from the github data we know the GPU clocks in BC mode can actually have specific values between the min and max.
???
Why do you think the ps4 pro could run the game at 60 with up to 4k res? That is just not possible with those settings. 60 fps means double calculation performance needed for cpu and gpu. Ps5 has around 2.x times the power of ps4 pro. So there is not really much that can be done for the res. I really don't know what wonders you expect from the hardware. The ps4 pro could do 60fps with a zen2 cpu if the res would be lowered, yes but not at the dynamic res it uses now.

Also, the patch was made for the ps5 so they will just use as much as possible.

???
Why do you think the ps4 pro could run the game at 60 with up to 4k res? That is just not possible with those settings. 60 fps means double calculation performance needed for cpu and gpu. Ps5 has around 2.x times the power of ps4 pro. So there is not really much that can be done for the res. I really don't know what wonders you expect from the hardware. The ps4 pro could do 60fps with a zen2 cpu if the res would be lowered, yes but not at the dynamic res it uses now.

Also, the patch was made for the ps5 so they will just use as much as possible.
I said at a much lower res in my post.
But at a much lower resolution and the game could run at 60fps on Pro if the game had a Zen 2 CPU

BC games can only at most access the full hardware and make some changes to the settings.
At the base of it, BC titles all still run the traditional GCN 2.0 ish ISA. So it will get access to all the CUs and get access to 8 cores and 16 threads if I recall correctly when using Gen9Aware patches but it won't be using optimal instructions. Hmm, it's possible it may get access to those without Gen9Aware actually, just without it no option to change the settings.

No access to FL12_1+ feature sets if I remember right, so no ray tracing support on BC titles.

Has the stuttering in Control been fixed?
Well I tried control yesterday on my pc and the stuttering also occurs there. E.g. before something happens like first time appearing enemies in a room. I'm using the windows store version on my ssd. So it might be something packaging related.
Like I stated before, the playstation version has always the advantage that the game code must be partially rewritten for the api. So some bugs might even disappear because of this extra step. And some might just appear because of bugs in DirectX.

Well I tried control yesterday on my pc and the stuttering also occurs there. E.g. before something happens like first time appearing enemies in a room. I'm using the windows store version on my ssd. So it might be something packaging related.
Like I stated before, the playstation version has always the advantage that the game code must be partially rewritten for the api. So some bugs might even disappear because of this extra step. And some might just appear because of bugs in DirectX.

I haven't witnessed any stuttering on the PC edition. But then again, Control is sitting on my NVMe raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back