Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea in the middle of combat you can shut your xbox down. And return when you're less frustrated. Some bosses are extremely frustrating, complete the first phase, and shut down. It's easier to break things down into chunks so your mind can process. Return when you're mentally prepped for phase 2 etc. Typically to get this effect you would need to pause, but you can't shut your console off.
haha ok btw there are few options to make game more easy at least in definitive edition

You don't leave your Xbox in sleep mode? I've yet to turn off my PS5.
i'll shut it off to save power. And usually I'll switch between titles often because I'm called on to play MP etc.
So if I'm in the of something and QR works, I'll shut down w/e I need. The next time I flip on my xbox, I'm usually playing something else. And then I'll return to where I was.
Without QR, you'd booted out and need to reload everything aka. The Medium. And it sucks, when you get used to the way QR works.

haha ok btw there are few options to make game more easy at least in definitive edition
so many times I wanted this feature for Demon's Souls ;) I was begging for it for certain areas I was just having major issues with in the level. Having the right mentality to play Demon's Souls is the difference between putting it down for a long time and actually making progression to completing the game.

Reactions: snc
The problem here is my bad english. I fully agree XSX has both GPU issues and (lets call it) bug FPS issues. I think i misunderstood you. The "XBSX is GPU limited in certain areas where's PS5 isn't" i interpreted wrong

No problem. :smile2:

i'll shut it off to save power. And usually I'll switch between titles often because I'm called on to play MP etc.
If you play a lot you might want look at the power draw for start-up and shut-down verses sleep power draw. With some devices you draw more powering a device up and down than just leaving it. YMMV!

If you play a lot you might want look at the power draw for start-up and shut-down verses sleep power draw. With some devices you draw more powering a device up and down than just leaving it. YMMV!

How much power draw from Optical Drive being spun up periodically?

How much power draw from Optical Drive being spun up periodically?

If you have a disc in the drive, that will happen regardless and does not happen in sleep mode. It's about whether the actioned intended to save electricity actually saves electricity.

If you have a disc in the drive, that will happen regardless and does not happen in sleep mode. It's about whether the actioned intended to save electricity actually saves electricity.

Right, it was just one of those things hit me when reading your post about power, not related to your point about saving power.

Right, it was just one of those things hit me when reading your post about power, not related to your point about saving power.
We're solar, on balance we put more energy into the grid than we draw from it. Of course that was before we had a PS5 spinning the drive every hour. :runaway:

We're solar

Ah, to dream about living in a part of the world with enough sun to make that feasible. Even on the sunny days there's still chance of overcast 10-15 minutes later. Stupid North East Ohio... https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/city/ohio/cleveland

Cleveland, Ohio gets 38 inches of rain, on average, per year. The US average is 38 inches of rain per year.
Cleveland averages 54 inches of snow per year. The US average is 28 inches of snow per year.
On average, there are 166 sunny days per year in Cleveland. The US average is 205 sunny days.

Cleveland gets some kind of precipitation, on average, 149 days per year. Precipitation is rain, snow, sleet, or hail that falls to the ground. In order for precipitation to be counted you have to get at least .01 inches on the ground to measure.

Ah, to dream about living in a part of the world with enough sun to make that feasible. Even on the sunny days there's still chance of overcast 10-15 minutes later. Stupid North East Ohio...
We live in London! Modern solar cells are really good but much depends on your property, orientation and whether anything around you can block day light. Because it never gets really cold or really hot we're never using vast amounts of power on heating or cooling.

I've often wondered how far I'd get with an all solar setup here in the Grim North of England. Probably not very. I could cover a tennis court with solar panels and after a year I'd amass enough energy to make an LED flicker a bit.

How's the raytracing between PS5 and XBSX?. I didn't catch if there was any mention in DF about RT differencies, guess they are exactly the same then?

You're not wrong. But we don't know how much codebase is shared if that makes sense.
All I'm saying is, yes it could be tools, or it could just be an issue on Remedy's side.
Or maybe the PS5 was just designed better? Control isn't the first game where the PS5 just seems to run better than the XBSX even if sometimes at a slightly lower resolution. Hitman and the flower scene comes to mind, AC Valhalla etc. and a few others.

Yeah, maybe it's the code and the tools etc. but maybe the console is designed just slightly better.

Or maybe the PS5 was just designed better? Control isn't the first game where the PS5 just seems to run better than the XBSX even if sometimes at a slightly lower resolution. Hitman and the flower scene comes to mind, AC Valhalla etc. and a few others.

Yeah, maybe it's the code and the tools etc. but maybe the console is designed just slightly better.
I haven't ruled that out, no, but hitching typically isn't correlated with a system that is struggling with workload demands. I'm sure that developers considered Xbox 360 was a better designed system than PS3, but over time that eventually was evened out over a long enough period of time. Developers will eventually move to maximize the hardware that is available, it just may take more time. With these 2 being this similar, I have doubts we're going to see that type of extremity. Hitching is an issue that will likely persist for a while during this transition phase for either system really, but Series X|S right now seems much more prone to it.

I haven't ruled that out, no, but hitching typically isn't correlated with a system that is struggling with workload demands. I'm sure that developers considered Xbox 360 was a better designed system than PS3, but over time that eventually was evened out over a long enough period of time. Developers will eventually move to maximize the hardware that is available, it just may take more time. With these 2 being this similar, I have doubts we're going to see that type of extremity. Hitching is an issue that will likely persist for a while during this transition phase for either system really, but Series X|S right now seems much more prone to it.
From memory the XB1 had this issue in some games. Like Fallout 4. AFAIK in that game no amount of patches completely fixed the issue, there was always (much) more I/O related stuttering on XB1 than on PS4 (even if the XB1 has a faster CPU), in that case it was also happening in similar circumstances than with Control. The only thing that basically solved it was to use a SSD instead of a HDD.

Often both XSX and PC games suffer from this. Maybe it's the way the DirectX I/O API is done. I am not sure this could be solved in a patch by the developers themselves.

AFAIK, the first DirectX I/O is DirectStorage. Before that it was whatever the developers wanted to code up, just like PC programming. The earlier I/O was only DirectInput and used for game controllers and perhaps keyboards/mice.

That also aligns with devs saying one of the first things they needed to do with UE was rewrite the I/O stack and also how Epic had to entirely revamp the system for next-gen system.

There's also multiple developer tweets going over how to improve file loading in PC space which possibly applies to Xbox One systems too. Most of it is to optimize the IO and minimize Kernel layers.

Series consoles are an outlier in the age of dynamic clocks to better utilize thermals and power usage for specific workloads. The ability for the series x to utilize its theoretical performance is going to be far tougher, especially for titles not built from the ground up with that particular SKU. PS5s dynamic clock setup makes it far more flexible for a broader range of game workloads so the discrepancies in head to heads will likely favor the PS5 more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back