Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I think it's partly because Blu-ray drives have variable spin-rates so it's not spinning at a constant rare, hence it ramps up and ramp-downs. When you look at it in the teardown, it looks like it should run utterly silent given all the damping around the housing but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The spin-up-spin-down is only about 10-15 seconds but it's astonishing how noticeable it is. I guess because the PS5 is almost silent otherwise it really stands out. Did the PS4/Pros fans just drown out the noise of its drive?!?!
Yep, mostly.

The funniest thing is that it’s SO LOUD. And during the tear down, the tiny Japanese man made a point of how sound insulated it is, then when we all got a PS5 a put a disc in, it was like someone had turned on a PS4 next to it.

I’ve never heard any disc drive being that loud! How is it even possible?
Easy solution, PS5 DE!

Does it make you feel any better that he has Marvel's Avengers on both system and you don't?
Actually, that makes me feel better! That is not a Marvel experience I wish to endure.

In fairness to the ODD, it's pretty much inaudible when playing UHD BR's.
True, I only own one UHD disc (Rogue One) and I was quite happy with the [lack of] noise from my PS5 when playing a movie. I assume those discs serve data at much lower speeds.

I don't want Sony first person studios to become like Nintendo where you get ten iterations of f***ing Mario Kart. Do something new you unimaginative bastards and I don't mean adding a new colour shell! :runaway:

Oh, I'll bite on this!

There are only 9 Mario Kart games. It's only 10 if you count Mario Kart 8 twice, since it got a rerelease on Switch. And this includes the mobile MK game for Android/IOS. There are 13 Ratchet and Clank games, with a 14th coming out this year. And this doesn't count rerelease of Size Matters. So 15 if we are counting rereleases. In 2007, the Mario Kart and Ratchet series were tied with 5 releases each. Mario Kart as a series started in 1992, Ratchet in 2002. Sony released 5 games in 5 years while Nintendo released 5 games in 10 with 2 of them being on handhelds. In total, Sony released have 40% more Ratchet games in 50% less time.

It's uncommon for Nintendo to release 3 games in a single series for any of their platforms now. They used to consistently hit 3 with Mario Party, but Kart has been basically a 1 title per platform release. Sony, though, 6 Ratchet games on PS3, 3 Resistance games on PS3. 3 Little Big Planet games on PS3. 3 Uncharted games on PS3. If we include remasters/rereleases we have 3 Killzones(2 new games 1 remaster), 4 God of Wars (2 new games, 4 games released in 2 collections, and then again in a larger collection for a total of 5 retail releases). Want to count international releases with radically different content? There are 20 Singstar releases on PS3 then.

Sony's already where you don't want them to be, and they have been for more than a generation.

There are only 9 Mario Kart games. It's only 10 if you count Mario Kart 8 twice, since it got a rerelease on Switch. And this includes the mobile MK game for Android/IOS. There are 13 Ratchet and Clank games, with a 14th coming out this year. And this doesn't count rerelease of Size Matters. So 15 if we are counting rereleases. In 2007, the Mario Kart and Ratchet series were tied with 5 releases each. Mario Kart as a series started in 1992, Ratchet in 2002. Sony released 5 games in 5 years while Nintendo released 5 games in 10 with 2 of them being on handhelds. In total, Sony released have 40% more Ratchet games in 50% less time.
This is all true. What separates the two gamesfor me is that Mario Kart has evolved very little and Ratchet & Clank has gone in all sorts of different directions. True, there is only so-much you can do with a kart-racer and there is obviously much more you can do with mechanics in a narrative-driven third-person action-shooter-platformer with castlevania-style levels and that's kind of the point. Some Ratchet & Clank games include a racing mini-game that is basically Mario Kart with hoverboards.

This is all true. What separates the two gamesfor me is that Mario Kart has evolved very little and Ratchet & Clank has gone in all sorts of different directions. True, there is only so-much you can do with a kart-racer and there is obviously much more you can do with mechanics in a narrative-driven third-person action-shooter-platformer with castlevania-style levels and that's kind of the point. Some Ratchet & Clank games include a racing mini-game that is basically Mario Kart with hoverboards.
Well, we could compare it with Metroid, then. It's got shooting, exploration, and progression that inspired the castlevania-style levels I think you are referring to, and has evolved quite a bit as a series. 13 games since 1986, including a remake of Metroid 2, and spin off games like Federation Force and Prime Pinball. There's a 14th coming out sometime, soon-ish. And it's 15 games if you include a rerelease trilogy with new controls for the Prime games. 16 if you count the teaser demo packed in with Nintendo DS's launch. The series started in 1986 and there were 5 games in the series by 2002. 5 games in 16 years! It took the Ratchet series 5 years to get 5 games. There are 6 Metroid games on NES, SNES, Gamecube and Wii, not counting trilogy since it's mostly a rerelease. That's all the home platforms the series have been released on. There are 6 Ratchet games on PS2. Another 6 on PS3. 7 if you count the remaster collection. 11 if you count the PS2 classics rereleases.

Oh, I thought you were talking about something truly new...I don't mind there's lot's of Mario Karts, it's nice to see the game evolving...what I do mind is the lack of new IP - they seem to have a knack of getting away with reinventing the wheel rather than bringing something new and fresh to the table.

Each to their own, but I prefer the thought of something new and different - it's why I like PlayStation, you get your staple main players along with a nice sprinkle of fresh and new ones.

Looks like the prefect example of why dynamic resolution should be used in games.

Honestly I fired this up and it’s so sharp looking that I immediately assumed this was a native 4K title, but after the DF video it clearly isn’t, in fact it’s quite far from it.

Which means two things.

I’m obviously blind while at the same time having 20/20 vision, and native 4K will never mean anything to me.

Honestly I fired this up and it’s so sharp looking that I immediately assumed this was a native 4K title, but after the DF video it clearly isn’t, in fact it’s quite far from it.

Which means two things.

I’m obviously blind while at the same time having 20/20 vision, and native 4K will never mean anything to me.

You've obviously been driven quality blind from Marvel's Avengers... :cool:

Since i have Plus i played it for abit. Its a typical launch game, designed to show off the PS5 in certain areas such as the DS5, and to some extend the graphics (although they are far from next gen, yet better then say a PS4 game at launch).

Is the game fun? Yes, just plain old 'plug and play', old style deathmatch type of fun game like we used to have twenty years ago. Further, its most likely not going to be a long-lived title. However, you cant complain, its free (if you have plus) and its another title making (great) use of the DS5 new features.
Its good they didnt charge 70 dollars for this.

The kids love it to hell and back though :)

Back