Xbox Live Gold not needed for Free-To-Play MP, No Price Changes [2021-01-22]

and then if GP prices start rising but you're locked in as if you unsubscribe you have no games because you spent all your cash on the rental system.
That is the fair point, that when when unsubscribed you lose games but at the same time if you really want something you can purchase it with some discount. Subscription service prices will never reach 70$ or full game price. At worst the hard limit is around 30$ I think but it will require something akin All Access deal where you get a console or something (similar to leasing in real life). And buying a single 50$ game will cost you several months of subscription service. It is a choice.

Personally I haven't touched physical since the release of GTA 5 on consoles and on PC...I don't even remember. And it never bothered me because for 80% (maybe even higher level) of time you don't replay old games (Skyrim is the exception for me :p). Even if you unsubscribe you are highly like to buy either a new game - full price or wait, or some other game on the sale.

We are moving away from the physical. It is inevitable.

P.s. I like subscriptions, torrents and God's Gabe Holy Sales.

Last edited:
My math shows that over the last 12 months for $120 I got to play and finish Ori 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Battletoads, Wasteland 3, Call of the Sea, The Medium, Tetris Effect, Gears Tactics and most of The Witcher 3, while enjoying time in other games like Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and Halo MCC, among others. It's incredible value and will only be more incredible when 36+ dev teams are pumping out games. I'll likely need to supplement a few things along the line like Cyberpunk 2077 and Mass Effect Remaster, but for the cost of two games per year I'm more or less satisfied as a gamer. It's like buy 2 games get 8 free for me right now.

My math shows that over the last 12 months for $120 I got to play and finish Ori 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Battletoads, Wasteland 3, Call of the Sea, The Medium, Tetris Effect, Gears Tactics and most of The Witcher 3, while enjoying time in other games like Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and Halo MCC, among others. It's incredible value and will only be more incredible when 36+ dev teams are pumping out games. I'll likely need to supplement a few things along the line like Cyberpunk 2077 and Mass Effect Remaster, but for the cost of two games per year I'm more or less satisfied as a gamer. It's like buy 2 games get 8 free for me right now.
Yes, it works well for some - just not me.

For example, for the RRP of £120 per year to subscribe I could probably live in a physical world quite comfortably...and in doing that I play the exact games I want and have no worries about the rug being pulled when I’m not ready, I would also have something to show for my money.

But as I said, that’s just me. These days I’m also enjoying playing through my backlog, having GP just distracts me, life was so much simpler before I subbed lol

Sounds like GP is doing its job. Just think of the devs you're propping up you wouldn't otherwise, had you just bought 2 $60 games. ;)

You call it a distraction. I call it putting food on the table for smaller developers.

Tommy McClain

Sounds like GP is doing its job. Just think of the devs you're propping up you wouldn't otherwise, had you just bought 2 $60 games. ;)

You call it a distraction. I call it putting food on the table for smaller developers.

Tommy McClain

Not sure I said I'd just buy 2 games...the glory with physical is you can get it cheaper and sell it on...and then pick up the odd game in a sale (be it physical or digital) and at least the devs that deserve my money get it. In your example with GP, I'm funding 100s of games I have no interest in and never play!

This is why I would prefer a system where I have access to every game available but can only 'check out' a few games at a time.

Not sure I said I'd just buy 2 games...the glory with physical is you can get it cheaper and sell it on...and then pick up the odd game in a sale (be it physical or digital) and at least the devs that deserve my money get it. In your example with GP, I'm funding 100s of games I have no interest in and never play!

This is why I would prefer a system where I have access to every game available but can only 'check out' a few games at a time.

Eventually the house always wins. the value to me on ultimate is there because I play a ton of games and a lot of them are singular experiences that i don't know if i want to go back to. I'm enjoying the medium but i don't think i need to play it ever again. At the same time there are several smaller games that I've enjoyed a lot and will go back to at one point. But that could be years and the cost of games is always going down. So maybe i will buy it in 2 years or 5 years or on a steam sale when its 75% off. Or maybe i love it so much that the game pass discount makes me purchase it before it goes away.

I think the library if your area supports it, would fit this description best then. Some libraries do have a large catalogue of games, DSoup has extensive knowledge of the UK library system, where they will buy if they don't have a copy of the game, the game you're looking for and loan it to you.

At a rate of only a couple games a year without costs or ownership and no MP commitment, I think the library system works provided there is availability of the title you're looking for. And then you combine that with the odd game on sale you want to buy, or have to because there is some sort of permanence/career.

Game Pass is not the perfect system, but it fits the bill for consuming as much as possible, like you're at a buffet, and not so much being at a restaurant. There aren't too many buffet's out there, and a lot of restaurants. So yea, the model doesn't work for everyone, but the model really works well for some situations. In particular if you are a social eater/gamer that likes to play/eat in large groups greater than 20, you can't beat the buffet.

I think the library if your area supports it, would fit this description best then. Some libraries do have a large catalogue of games, DSoup has extensive knowledge of the UK library system, where they will buy if they don't have a copy of the game, the game you're looking for and loan it to you.

At a rate of only a couple games a year without costs or ownership and no MP commitment, I think the library system works provided there is availability of the title you're looking for. And then you combine that with the odd game on sale you want to buy, or have to because there is some sort of permanence/career.

Game Pass is not the perfect system, but it fits the bill for consuming as much as possible, like you're at a buffet, and not so much being at a restaurant. There aren't too many buffet's out there, and a lot of restaurants. So yea, the model doesn't work for everyone, but the model really works well for some situations. In particular if you are a social eater/gamer that likes to play/eat in large groups greater than 20, you can't beat the buffet.

Yes, I think people take my personal negativity towards GP as saying the system is rubbish, it's clearly not, it's just not for me (as a fully paid subscriber). And it's a shame but I guess that's just the place I'm sitting as a casual gamer who might play a game over a period of years or because I have limited time so I won't stray too far from what I know.

GP has been pretty good to me, I just wouldn't pay the asking price as things stand - not least because MS allow me to get it for 'free'...which is a good thing...and I do have a genuine concern about where things will be (say) 5 years form now regarding cost vs quality. Will we see games leave the service more frequently to off-set the costs or the price increase or the quality of games lower? But we've talked that to death...I just like to have a library I own, I guess I'm just too old school but this old dog has learnt new tricks so who knows how I'll feel in a couple of years!

I'm sitting as a casual gamer who might play a game over a period of years
Well, in my case I tend to play a little bit of various games but rarely complete them.

Will we see games leave the service more frequently
The games leave simply because they are not owned by Microsoft. By purchasing studios that what they are trying to prevent - the games just won't leave if they are produced by the Microsoft.

My main annoyance is the games like Forza Horizon leaves due to music licenses and other stuff. Very annoying.

The games leave simply because they are not owned by Microsoft. By purchasing studios that what they are trying to prevent - the games just won't leave if they are produced by the Microsoft.

My main annoyance is the games like Forza Horizon leaves due to music licenses and other stuff. Very annoying.
Well I guess they will leave once sequels come out? Either way it sounds good if the games will end up staying, that way I can at least focus where to put my money.

Well I guess they will leave once sequels come out? Either way it sounds good if the games will end up staying, that way I can at least focus where to put my money.
Hard to say. At least we have all Gears of Wars for example in GamePass or Halos, so I presume first party stuff will remain at least. Maybe other games.
I wish FF did not leave though, but well...

My main annoyance is the games like Forza Horizon leaves due to music licenses and other stuff. Very annoying
Situations like that I think they should give them away as a game with gold, or sell it for $2 to gold subscribers prior to it leaving.
Then you get to keep the game.

How do they handle digital games if they are delisted from the store?

Delisted only happens when the publisher no longer has the rights to sell the game. People who bought the game can re-download it any time they want.

The reasons to lose the right to sell the game is usually from license runs out. In racing games it was from one of two reasons: Car Licenses and Music.

Ever since Microsoft started pushing their Xbox BC they have restructured their licensing with Game music, so that should never be the cause of one of their games being delisted. That leaves the car licenses for the Forzas. Hopefully they keep those around log enough to have a couple years overlap between last version Forza and new version of Forza, like FH4 and FH5 and FM8 and FM7.

For sports games its usually League Licenses or the devs/publisher shut down that game's server. This is what EA does. So it makes no sense for them to have Madden 15 listed in the store when it wont work because they turned off its servers.

Reactions: Jay
Yes, I think people take my personal negativity towards GP as saying the system is rubbish, it's clearly not, it's just not for me (as a fully paid subscriber). And it's a shame but I guess that's just the place I'm sitting as a casual gamer who might play a game over a period of years or because I have limited time so I won't stray too far from what I know.

GP has been pretty good to me, I just wouldn't pay the asking price as things stand - not least because MS allow me to get it for 'free'...which is a good thing...and I do have a genuine concern about where things will be (say) 5 years form now regarding cost vs quality. Will we see games leave the service more frequently to off-set the costs or the price increase or the quality of games lower? But we've talked that to death...I just like to have a library I own, I guess I'm just too old school but this old dog has learnt new tricks so who knows how I'll feel in a couple of years!
The quality of the service is just the quality of the service at the time. Like all things, it can get better or worse. It really depends on what you're looking for. With the increased subscribers comes increased revenues, the expenses may still continue to be held (as they limit the number of titles on the service), so they may expand the service into branching into more smaller titles, or what not, broadening the library. And some folks may only be looking at AAA titles. That doesn't make the service worse in my eyes, big budget games haven't been providing the best gaming experience the last couple years: where AA and indie seem to be thriving in bringing actually GOOD gameplay recently, my eyes are focused there; while others may just be waiting for those blockbuster titles.

I appreciate the ability to try a lot fo the small titles and zip back and forth. There is freedom in gaming in that sense, I don't feel compelled in the need to complete anything. There's no pressure to play, and you can just enjoy gameplay and game design. Not to say you can't just sit down and enjoy a solid 1-3 hours of gaming, but it's clear that games are being divided up into smaller checkpoint/sessions now, that you can jump in do something and jump out. I do believe that gaming fatigue is real, especially in open world games, so having options to switch up quick is high on my list.

The quality of the service is just the quality of the service at the time. Like all things, it can get better or worse. It really depends on what you're looking for. With the increased subscribers comes increased revenues, the expenses may still continue to be held (as they limit the number of titles on the service), so they may expand the service into branching into more smaller titles, or what not, broadening the library. And some folks may only be looking at AAA titles. That doesn't make the service worse in my eyes, big budget games haven't been providing the best gaming experience the last couple years: where AA and indie seem to be thriving in bringing actually GOOD gameplay recently, my eyes are focused there; while others may just be waiting for those blockbuster titles.

I appreciate the ability to try a lot fo the small titles and zip back and forth. There is freedom in gaming in that sense, I don't feel compelled in the need to complete anything. There's no pressure to play, and you can just enjoy gameplay and game design. Not to say you can't just sit down and enjoy a solid 1-3 hours of gaming, but it's clear that games are being divided up into smaller checkpoint/sessions now, that you can jump in do something and jump out. I do believe that gaming fatigue is real, especially in open world games, so having options to switch up quick is high on my list.
Something I hadn't thought about is regarding those with 'unlimited game time' - they are currently getting the best VFM - but what when they exhaust the line up and a couple new games a month is not what interests them? I guess that's where the new studios and ongoing/online hook kicks in...keeps them ticking over.

Something I hadn't thought about is regarding those with 'unlimited game time' - they are currently getting the best VFM - but what when they exhaust the line up and a couple new games a month is not what interests them? I guess that's where the new studios and ongoing/online hook kicks in...keeps them ticking over.
games are designed to be time sinks as of late, people with unlimited game time tend to get sucked into games that never end. destiny 2, MMOs, MP titles, battle royales etc. It's generally a non issue for these players. When something comes out that month you don't really care for, they go back to their staples. Game Pass is about injecting variety into a very homogenous gaming lifestyle. Most games, like Destiny 2 for instance is capable of covering a lot of different itches. ie just ask @London Geezer what he's been playing on his PS5 once Demon's Souls was over; game pass or no game pass, everyone just sort returns to their staples. The question is whether or not you want to pay that month or you're too lazy to leave it.

Idea: Get rid of Xbox Live Gold & replace it with the original 2013 Digital Family Sharing Plan with up to 10 family members. This way I can share all my games(even Game Pass) with my wife & kids on all of my systems.

Nintendo has an Online plan that's similar. It's called a Family Membership & it's $35/year for up to 8 people. Would anybody pay $35/year for an Xbox Family plan? How about the original Live Gold price of $60/year? Multiplayer would still be free after getting rid of Live Gold.

You could also make Game Pass Family a middle tier for $15/month & then include it with the Ultimate top tier for $20/month. You could also include in Game Pass Family all the original Xbox games for free(42 of them) & a select list of Xbox 360 games(577 of them). Nintendo does something similar with NES & SNES games(90+).

I think making it separate from Game Pass would negate their plans of Game Pass being the de-facto subscription, but I could see some people wanting the Family plan but not Game Pass. Not as good of a value as Game Pass Ultimate, but currently Live Gold-only members don't seem to care.

Tommy McClain

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/04...ocid=Platform_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_4.21.1

Today, we are sharing more details on our plans to make online multiplayer in free-to-play games available on Xbox without an Xbox Live Gold membership. As part of listening to your feedback, this change will take place starting today, and all Xbox players will be able to access online multiplayer at no charge for a library of over 50 free-to-play games that support online multiplayer.

The full list of more than 50 free-to-play games is available on Xbox.com and below; the Xbox.com list will be updated as more free-to-play games launch. For more information about these changes and your Xbox membership options, please visit our FAQ.

Back