Microsoft rumored to be buying...... [2020-04, 2020-07, 2020-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEGA is apparently splitting into two companies both wholly owned by SEGA SAMMY, one for the pachinko machines and one for the gaming part of the company.
Sega is splitting its console/PC and pachinko businesses into 2 different companies owned by Sega Sammy | ResetEra

I bet SEGA is the next purchase, could be wrong of course.

More circumstantial evidence (admittedly this is 2+2=5)

From SEGA SAMMY's latest finance report

Seems awfully closely aligned with microsofts ambitions doesnt it?

Also Tosihiro Nagoshi is stepping down as SEGA Sammy CCO and is becoming a creative director at SEGA as part of a management restructure, I assume he would lead the SEGA division under microsoft.

Toshihiro Nagoshi stepping down as Sega CCO; now a Creative Director [up: part of management restructure] | ResetEra

Yea a few of us talked about Sega and we mentioned that it would be smart for MS to just purchase the video game side . Get any devs and ip from that and leave the rest with sammy. To make costs even lower they could have a joint ip license with Sammy so they can use it in their entertainment stuff

With EA is better to have a partnership that gives games to GamePass, while EA continue selling games everywhere.

Yea , EA only becomes a problem is someone else comes knocking .

I've seen around a screenshot of Sega's games on gamepass.
I know that's impossible, but i'd really like a dreamcast emulator for series to play power stone and berserk.

I've seen around a screenshot of Sega's games on gamepass.
I know that's impossible, but i'd really like a dreamcast emulator for series to play power stone and berserk.
There were a bunch of games like shenmue and panzer dragoon released on the original xbox. So they should all be emulated.

I wonder if MS just said screw it and offered Sega deal where previous sega system games would come to game pass emulated ?

Not completely related but something that will affect what Microsoft will be doing on the acquisition front

Incoming Amazon CEO reaffirms commitment to amazon game studios
Andy Jassy, Next Amazon CEO, Says He's Committed to Making Video Games - Bloomberg

I thought that Andy might reevaluate what they are doing with gaming at amazon and decide to stop producing games in house, seeing as that's not likely the case it could be that he wants to make a splash to really show that re commitment.

With google throwing in the towel with stadia (despite what they say about still bringing new games to the platform), and amazons internal game efforts not looking too good I thought Microsoft might feel comfortable letting up a bit on the acquisition front

it will be very interesting to see if the guy who has been in charge of Amazon game studios since 2012 will remain in charge after Andy takes over, I cant imagine he will become competent overnight.

Amazon is very persistent in everything in comparison to google.So they would not give that easily, in comparison to Google who always like a child.

Also that Andy guy is something akin Nadella in MS.

Amazon is very persistent in everything in comparison to google.So they would not give that easily, in comparison to Google who always like a child.

Also that Andy guy is something akin Nadella in MS.

I would have thought they would have given up after 8+ years, they aren't like Google who have only been in the game for just over a year.

I wonder if Andy will buy a publisher to get started on gaming again? I know money is money but if i owned a game studio I wouldn't sell to amazon after Jason scheiere's article on how they manage things. Especially with so many people looking to acquire at the moment

I would have thought they would have given up after 8+ years, they aren't like Google who have only been in the game for just over a year.

I wonder if Andy will buy a publisher to get started on gaming again? I know money is money but if i owned a game studio I wouldn't sell to amazon after Jason scheiere's article on how they manage things. Especially with so many people looking to acquire at the moment
We'll see. Unlike old MS, who treated Xbox as a hobby, it seems Amazon throws more money at gaming division, but the management there is atrocious. I bet a lot of developers will turn to MS' side due to the newly established culture and "healthier" working environment.

MS never gave the impression that they took gaming seriously. Granted they were aiming to be a media box and it backfired in Xbox One era.
The original Xbox, i.e. two generations before the Xbox One. 2001-era Xbox. You remember? Bill Gates and the Rock were there at CES for the launch. :yep2:

The original Xbox, i.e. two generations before the Xbox One. 2001-era Xbox. You remember? Bill Gates and the Rock were there at CES for the launch. :yep2:
I remember. Xbox built a very good foundation, Xbox 360 started great but then they pivoted towards Kinect (I liked kinect though) and double downed on Xbox One, creating a lost generation basically.

At the end of Xbox 360 and in Xbox One era beginning they never tried hard, never MS took Xbox division seriously - they were fighting over damn browser in 90s - yet such lackluster attitude for Xbox?

@ChuckeRearmed I'm referring to your assertion that Xbox was "a hobby" for Microsoft. I've never had this impression. What did they say that ever suggested this to you?

@ChuckeRearmed I'm referring to your assertion that Xbox was "a hobby" for Microsoft. I've never had this impression. What did they say that ever suggested this to you?
I am looking at their Xbox output. They started fine, but then they almost googled it.
Now MS started to make moves so at least it is not a random division anymore.

I am looking at their Xbox output. They started fine, but then they almost googled it.
Now MS started to make moves so at least it is not a random division anymore.

Every company in gaming now have had big miss steps.

Nintendo had the nes to snes which was great but then the n64 was late and went cart instead allowing sony to slip in and take the market. Gamecube went with smaller discs and couldn't store the same amount of data as dvds and was late and lost to ps2. Wii was great but wii u was a mess.

Sony had the ps1 then 2 which were great and fumbled with the ps3 that allowed MS to virtually sell the same amount of units as them.

So I dunno , i think MS has been trying hard to make it in this industry

this is going to sound a bit weird but during the OG xbox, 360 and lead up to the xbox one launch microsoft imo didnt want to make a console, they wanted to make a device that was the centre of your living room. Of course in the OG xbox days and the first half of the 360 that was just a console that played games, but then they got distracted (imo) by the success of the wii, and thought that it potentially threatened the xboxs position as the centre of your living room, enter, kinect.

Then for xbox one they saw in their usage data that the most used apps were netflix and things like that, and wanting to stay the centre of everyones living room added every type of media to the box.

imo in the beginning xbox being a console was just incidental, it is only recently, (like since 2017 recent) that microsoft has actually decided that actually they do want to release a console because its a console, and not just a ploy to get into your living room (and by extension other devices out of it)

This explains a lot of their behavior in the beginning imo, especially around not investing in first party during the 360 gen, what if gaming is just a fad and something else becomes the next 'it' thing? no point investing in more first party teams if gaming might fall out of favor

Balmer, and a few of the other people who started xbox have even partially confirmed this, with the xbox only getting approved because sony advertised the ps2 as a pc

There are articles and interviews out there that reveal MS concern that Sony might have become a thread to their computer market, PC gaming/Direct X support and their place in the living room entertainment.
It wasn't just a hobby. If it was they would have stopped after the original XBOX was generating billions of losses, and predicted that it would have continued to do so until the end.
Instead they went with a next gen version.
They had to enter the market that threatened theirs and take over. You dont waste billions just for a hobby

On the xbox era podcast they said that microsoft and paradox are in talks about something.

Acquiring paradox would make a lot of sense imo, you get a bunch of PC focused developers for ~3.3 B, they have 9 development studios, 4 of which have either been acquired or set up in the past 2 years. The nice things is that if they were to acquire them it wouldn't (legitimately) annoy anyone, all their games would still be coming to pc were they have always been, with the chance of a few of them coming to xbox consoles in the future.

This does kind of line up with some things that the xbox two podcast have said recently, that microsoft will be focusing on bolstering its pc presence through acquisitions/deals, and that they wouldn't necessarily affect any of the console only players. Paradox is the only? PC only game publisher that I know of (could be wrong on that of course)

link to podcast where they talk about Microsoft and paradox being in talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back