Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's Sony other secret sauce. Nano font rendering!!

So there are proper enemies in this game. I can't recall why but I thought this was more of a supernatural/corporeal/ghost enemy game, something akin to Alan Wake. I downloaded it over night so I may check it out. It doesn't look my thing but I'll give it a shot once I've finished my xth playthrough of Skyrim.

This isn't a particularly informed opinion, but...
Renderer chokes when something trivial changes on screen is definitely my stereotypical expectation for "something is horribly wrong with tools".

This isn't a particularly informed opinion, but...
Renderer chokes when something trivial changes on screen is definitely my stereotypical expectation for "something is horribly wrong with tools".
Or it could just be a bug code side and because they share the same code base we're seeing it affect both platforms.

Or it could just be a bug code side and because they share the same code base we're seeing it affect both platforms.
It seemed like the video said that it was happening on both series consoles, but not ps5, did I misunderstand?

It seemed like the video said that it was happening on both series consoles, but not ps5, did I misunderstand?
You're not wrong. But we don't know how much codebase is shared if that makes sense.
All I'm saying is, yes it could be tools, or it could just be an issue on Remedy's side.

You're not wrong. But we don't know how much codebase is shared if that makes sense.

Oh yeah for sure, I added that it was uninformed for that reason -- my thinking is just...

Scene switches to something equal cost that you easily have enough headroom for but your framerate dips, the same way on two platforms with very different specs. Either it's a should be super obvious bug you didn't catch (because the developer tools are bad for profiling) or it was 'on remedy's side' but difficult to fix in time (because whatever's causing the stall is introduced by the sdk in an unexpected way, or you can't do it the same way you do on other platforms because of some api design quirk so it has a duct tape solution.)

Those hypotheticals both point to tools -- but computers and game engines are super complex and I'm not an engineer, so I guess it's just as likely to be one of 1000 other things that i can't think.

Oh yeah for sure, I added that it was uninformed for that reason -- my thinking is just...

Scene switches to something equal cost that you easily have enough headroom for but your framerate dips, the same way on two platforms with very different specs. Either it's a should be super obvious bug you didn't catch (because the developer tools are bad for profiling) or it was 'on remedy's side' but difficult to fix in time (because whatever's causing the stall is introduced by the sdk in an unexpected way, or you can't do it the same way you do on other platforms because of some api design quirk so it has a duct tape solution.)

Those hypotheticals both point to tools -- but computers and game engines are super complex and I'm not an engineer, so I guess it's just as likely to be one of 1000 other things that i can't think.
Yea, stuttering in this manner is usually not a GPU performance related issue which makes it tougher for us to figure out why it's happening. It could be with loading and memory management etc. All sorts of different issues could be causing it.

Wonder if the reason for the lack of RT mode on XSS was memory limitations.
All systems looks decent though.

XS seems to be having these framerate lurches again, which is why I've always thought it was a software stack issue.
Tools may help identify where and why, and it could be that devs have to work around it until MS fixes it.

Or could be lowest effort exerted to meet contractual obligations to 505 Games, the Publisher of Control, while Remedy looks forward to moving onto their EA Publisher contracts?

*shrug*

Wonder if the reason for the lack of RT mode on XSS was memory limitations.
All systems looks decent though.

XS seems to be having these framerate lurches again, which is why I've always thought it was a software stack issue.
Tools may help identify where and why, and it could be that devs have to work around it until MS fixes it.
I have very little confidence it will be addressed. Quite a few launch titles on Series consoles exhibited lurching IIRC, and very few went back to resolve some of those problems.
Considering how little impact it has on the game overall, I don't see Remedy going back to fix it for an 'Ultimate Edition', which is more or less on Game Pass Ultimate without the patches.
I would say, if you love Quick resume go Xbox, because it works well with Control, otherwise get the PS5 edition if this is what you want to play. I wouldn't buy it expecting a patch to resolve these issues. We're not sure what those issues are related to and the cost to resolve them may be too large.

Has anyone made comparison of loading times between Control Ultimate Edition and backward compatible version yet? I doubt the game is utilizing any next-gen I/O API.

Has anyone made comparison of loading times between Control Ultimate Edition and backward compatible version yet? I doubt the game is utilizing any next-gen I/O API.
Just the normal hdd -> ssd improvements so far. And around 10s of loading time is good enough but it is the same on pc. Like often mentioned, not every loading second is IO related. Sata ssd get it more or less far enough, after that the ssd speed is really no limit in most situations. At least up until they change their complete rendering and loading pipeline. Than sata might not be sufficient. But it is a long way to that point. Even longer because of compression tech used to decrease the data.

The PS5 has the advantage here, that pc code couldn't be used 1:1. It had to be customized to run on ps5. Maybe a bug was fixed while reimplementing the necessary parts for the ps5 APIs. AC valhalla also had a bug in common with the pc version, the PS version didn't have (which DF found while examining that game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back