Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It's been refreshing to see it be so stable out the box.

Not just stable but fully-featured. PS4 was solid for me as well but it lacked some of the key features Sony trumpeted at their February 2013 reveal like suspend/resume which didn't appear until firmware 2.50 in March 2015, fifteen month after launch. Some media apps were also MIA at PS4's launch.

I wonder if Sony would have bothered remastering Spider-Man if they weren't already building new (but very similar) tech for Miles Morales. Similarly The Last of Us Remastered was in part a result of the work Naughty Dog did to get their tech working on PS4. In both cases it feels like a case of confluence of timing and re-monetising work.

I will honestly be really disappointed of Naughty Dog spend any more time remaking existing games. They released four new games on PS3 and just two (and a half) on PS4. I want them to make new stuff given their output has halved in one generation. I want them to throw out a cheap and cheerful higher-res 60fps patch for TLoU Part II running on PS5 and move on to something new.
I think it's a bit obvious that the entity "Sony" does not have one rule, since it does not ultimately control what their own studios may want to release. Case in point:

- Ghost of Tsushima, not only had a completely free multiplayer DLC a few months after release, but also a wonderful and completely free PS5 update.
- God of War, free PS5 upgrade.
- Spiderman wasn't free as it was a 'remaster' which actually was quite a lot of work and not the usual uprez+60fps kind of jobby. And it released with a new game, so who knows what happened here.
- ND are silent so far.
- Days Gone, free PS5 upgrade.
- Guerilla games, silent so far, they seem to be quite busy with the new Horizon.
- Japan studios (they made Bloodborne, right?) annoyingly silent. BB needs an update but we all know it's just not going to happen, it didn't even get a refresh for Pro.

There is no pattern, but if anything it looks like there are more 'free upgrades' than paid ones - actually, so far it's just one (Spiderman).

I don't think that looking at what happened in the last generation is any indication of what might happen in this generation - this applies to Naughty Dog, at least.

I think it's a bit obvious that the entity "Sony" does not have one rule, since it does not ultimately control what their own studios may want to release. Case in point:

You've set out a clear pattern: Remasters - you pay for them. Patches to unlock frame-rate and resolution - free.

There were were plenty of PS3 remasters for PS4 because PS4 couldn't run PS3 games. As I said ealier, I think Sony only bothered to remaster Spider-Man for PS5 because they had spent time building that same tech for PS5 Spider Man Miles Morales. Other than that, we've not seen any PS5 remasters of Sony PS4 but I think we may with HZD.

I don't think that looking at what happened in the last generation is any indication of what might happen in this generation - this applies to Naughty Dog, at least.
No, things are completely different. PS4 games work on PS5 and some games provide benefits with no changes at to their original code but fundamentally you don't need to remaster PS4 games for PS5 to get nice visual improvements.

PS3 wasn't nearly as popular as PS2 or PS4 so there was also a commercial reason to remaster key franchises like Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of US before the sequels appeared only on PS4.

You've set out a clear pattern: Remasters - you pay for them. Patches to unlock frame-rate and resolution - free.

There were were plenty of PS3 remasters for PS4 because PS4 couldn't run PS3 games. As I said ealier, I think Sony only bothered to remaster Spider-Man for PS5 because they had spent time building that same tech for PS5 Spider Man Miles Morales. Other than that, we've not seen any PS5 remasters of Sony PS4 but I think we may with HZD.

No, things are completely different. PS4 games work on PS5 and some games provide benefits with no changes at to their original code but fundamentally you don't need to remaster PS4 games for PS5 to get nice visual improvements.

PS3 wasn't nearly as popular as PS2 or PS4 so there was also a commercial reason to remaster key franchises like Uncharted 1-3 and The Last of US before the sequels appeared only on PS4.
Totes agree.

It remains to be seen if ND and Guerilla go down the 'remaster' route, that's the main outstanding point I guess.

Totes agree.

It remains to be seen if ND and Guerilla go down the 'remaster' route, that's the main outstanding point I guess.

Yup and I really hope Naughty Dog don't spend significant time remastering the game they just released. I want them to do something new. They used to bang out a new IP every generation but we had just two (Uncharted and The Last of Us) between 2007 and 2020! :runaway:

I'm less against a HZD remaster because a) it's a fresh IP, b) it's a much older PS4 game to start with and c) Guerrilla have obviously been building new PS5 tech for the sequel so if it's not a mammoth undertaking to leverage a lot of that work to re-release HZD with the PS5 tech-upgrades from the sequel, that's more compelling. :yes:

I don't want Sony first person studios to become like Nintendo where you get ten iterations of f***ing Mario Kart. Do something new you unimaginative bastards and I don't mean adding a new colour shell! :runaway:

I want all the Killzones (apart from Shadowfall) to be re-mastered and for Insomniac to re-master the Resistance series. That would make me a happy bunny :D
I would also welcome a remaster of Resistance :yes: And G-Police from the original PlayStation.

I want all the Killzones (apart from Shadowfall) to be re-mastered and for Insomniac to re-master the Resistance series. That would make me a happy bunny :D
Seeing how Guerilla recently shut down their Killzone website (and with it, any hope for a future title, one could assume), sadly I don't see this happening.

The one thing I can't get over is how freakin quiet the PS5 is. I mean it's silent. I've had Control (with RT) running since ~10 this morning and there is zero fan noise. The PS4 would have been doing it's best leaf blower impersonations by now. And it's the same with all the games I've played so far. Superb bit of engineering in the cooling systems!

The one thing I can't get over is how freakin quiet the PS5 is. I mean it's silent. I've had Control (with RT) running since ~10 this morning and there is zero fan noise. The PS4 would have been doing it's best leaf blower impersonations by now. And it's the same with all the games I've played so far. Superb bit of engineering in the cooling systems!

Providing you don't have a disc in the drive, it's silent. For whatever reason my PS5 reads from the disc every 30mins or so. For no apparent reason. It does this when I'm playing fully digital games and a completely different game is in the drive.

Pretty annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Providing you don't have a disc in the drive, it's silent. For whatever reason my PS5 reads from the disc every 30mins or so. For no apparent reason. It does this when I'm playing fully digital games and a completely different disc is in the drive.

This is really stupid. It's not possible for the user to swap discs without the PS5 knowing a disc has been ejected so once it's checked it, it really doesn't need to check again unless the PS5 Blu-ray drive sends an eject signal to the PS5.

I keep discs in heir cases except when I'm using them. I don't recall PS4 doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Providing you don't have a disc in the drive, it's silent. For whatever reason my PS5 reads from the disc every 30mins or so. For no apparent reason. It does this when I'm playing fully digital games and a completely different disc is in the drive.

This is really stupid. It's not possible for the user to swap discs without the PS5 knowing a disc has been ejected so once it's checked it, it really doesn't need to check again unless the PS5 Blu-ray drive sends an eject signal to the PS5.

I keep discs in their cases except when I'm using them. I don't recall PS4 doing.

I keep discs in heir cases except when I'm using them. I don't recall PS4 doing this.

The funniest thing is that it’s SO LOUD. And during the tear down, the tiny Japanese man made a point of how sound insulated it is, then when we all got a PS5 a put a disc in, it was like someone had turned on a PS4 next to it.

I’ve never heard any disc drive being that loud! How is it even possible?

I’ve never heard any disc drive being that loud! How is it even possible?

I think it's partly because Blu-ray drives have variable spin-rates so it's not spinning at a constant rare, hence it ramps up and ramp-downs. When you look at it in the teardown, it looks like it should run utterly silent given all the damping around the housing but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The spin-up-spin-down is only about 10-15 seconds but it's astonishing how noticeable it is. I guess because the PS5 is almost silent otherwise it really stands out. Did the PS4/Pros fans just drown out the noise of its drive?!?!

Back