PC talk in the Console forums

tuna

Veteran
A lot of the threads (like the Digital Foundry thread) have a lot of PC HW discussion talk. Am I the only one bothered by that? Would it be ok for those people to open a Digital Foundry thread in the PC games forum?

it's a tough one because DF touches so many different facets now. But having all DF talk isolated into a single thread makes sense. I get the annoyance though, there is more cross talk between PC and Console than ever, perhaps it makes sense to start removing some of those barriers between the 2 as the technology is well shared.

I'd be in favour of removing the barrier on games talk. I play on console and PC (and streaming to mobile). There's not that much platform unique discussion on AAA titles. Even something like Cyberpunk, with a wide gap in graphics features and performance, is essentially same game across console and PC. That's how big budget games are made.

Have a separate section to cover PC only things? eg how many neon lights in a box is too many and crowdfunded projects that will never come out.

A lot of the threads (like the Digital Foundry thread) have a lot of PC HW discussion talk. Am I the only one bothered by that? Would it be ok for those people to open a Digital Foundry thread in the PC games forum?
Nope. I have to say that the console Cyberpunk thread is monkey fuck ridiculous, there are pages and pages of posts talking about hex edits for the PC build and people posting screen shots of their CPU/GPU graphs, graphics guides etc.

Nope. I have to say that the console Cyberpunk thread is monkey fuck ridiculous, there are pages and pages of posts talking about hex edits for the PC build and people posting screen shots of their CPU/GPU graphs, graphics guides etc.

The thread you linked to is called:
CYBERPUNK 2077 [XO, PC, XBSX|S] [Delisted from Playstation Store]

"PC" is part of the title /shrugs

If it's a cross platform game why not discuss it in one thread? Or should we also split xbox on playstation discussion of the same game to different thread? I don't think we have enough people discussing these games to keep good discussion ongoing if platforms are segregated to different threads. It's basically half a dozen more active people and they each have their own thread to discuss alone.

The versus discussions should probably be split out/moderated out. It's possible to discuss cp2077 without ending up in a platform war.

One way to fix it is to make one Gaming Forum, no separate Console or PC Gaming forums. Create separate threads for console games & another thread for PC games. I would welcome that. The experience is different between the 2. I couldn't care less about PC optimizations(drivers, hex editing), hardware configs or different game stores, etc. I just want to talk about the game. Tech discussions go in the Game Technology forum.

Tommy McClain

I think part of the problem is the thread titles for example
Hitman 3: Death Awaits (IO Interactive) [XBSX|S, PS5, PC, XO, PS4]
it says pc if it was called
Hitman 3: Death Awaits (IO Interactive) [XBSX|S, PS5, XO, PS4]
i'd think this is not for p.c related discussion

Even when we didn't include PC in thread title we still had some PC discussion since the PC Game thread was likely never created while PC Gamers still want to talk about the game.

The only major real downside has been with CyberPunk 2077. Though I don't mind it as much since it maybe gives some indication as to what the PS5/SeriesX proper patches could bring or more importantly what they won't bring when even monster PC systems are still faltering.

One way to fix it is to make one Gaming Forum, no separate Console or PC Gaming forums.

Wasn't this basically already the case? :p

If all versions where equal in performance, graphics etc, this discussion wouldnt even have happened. Thank god for PS5/XSX not being far from each other, otherwise, there would be complaints there aswell.

Not the same. There is a PC Games forum but nobody really uses it. If you made the Console forum a Games(PC or Console) forum then make the PC games threads exist in the Game Forum with console games then people can choose from the same pool whether they want to talk about the PC version or the console version. Just need to make sure you always have separate threads for PC & console versions.

Tommy McClain

There are people who play the games and like to talk to other people playing same games. For thes people platform doesn't matter much, it's the enjoyment of the game. Then there are people who just like to compare games on different platforms and potentially never even try the games. And some people do both. Same as some people are in discussion forum and some are probably in debating forum. It's subtle but big difference.

One way to fix it is to make one Gaming Forum, no separate Console or PC Gaming forums. Create separate threads for console games & another thread for PC games. I would welcome that. The experience is different between the 2. I couldn't care less about PC optimizations(drivers, hex editing), hardware configs or different game stores, etc. I just want to talk about the game. Tech discussions go in the Game Technology forum.

Tommy McClain

You guys should have

All games
Pc exclusive
Playstation exclusive
Nintendo Exclusive
Microsoft exclusive

A place for everything and everything in its place.

But even with that, since CyberPunk 2077 is on every platform (ignoring delisting for now) it would still run into the same issues we're trying to resolve.

Also, what happens when a game is no longer an exclusive, does it move into All Games or is the discussion forever fragmented?

I wish posts could have meta-tags / sub-threads so PC-Specific settings stuff can be optionally masked by individual users, yet nicely contained in one spot if so desired.

But even with that, since CyberPunk 2077 is on every platform (ignoring delisting for now) it would still run into the same issues we're trying to resolve.

Also, what happens when a game is no longer an exclusive, does it move into All Games or is the discussion forever fragmented?

I wish posts could have meta-tags / sub-threads so PC-Specific settings stuff can be optionally masked by individual users, yet nicely contained in one spot if so desired.

Sorry my first one should be all platforms not games. Cyberpunk would go in there since its not in all games.

Back