Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that he considers this the best RT on consoles. Better than Watch Dogs? Or Spiderman? I've not played control, or for that matter any RT game so I can't comment too much.
It does have the lowest roughness cutoff so far on consoles. It also has no geometric simplifications in the reflection like in SpiderMan. In terms of resolution:
DMC V/RE 8 (looks like 1/8th res of 4K) > SpiderMan Performance Mode RT (essentially 540p-720p reflections) > Control Quality Mode (Checkerboard 1440p) = Spider Man Quality Mode RT (1080p reflections) = Watchdogs Legion (1080p Reflections)

Interesting that he considers this the best RT on consoles. Better than Watch Dogs? Or Spiderman? I've not played control, or for that matter any RT game so I can't comment too much.
I really don't know why. Control has a really, really bad denoiser, that creates artifacts all over the place. Even the shadow and light sources, without RT are dancing around and are constantly changing. IMHO Control is a really ugly game (because of all the artifacts) in motion with some cool effects (like their physic system).
And Control shouldn't have that much problems with RT at all. It is more or less a corridor game. If you send out your rays, they don't travel that far. There are also not so many moving objects in the scenes that could make problems. But still while moving the pixels begin to shimmer, artifacts are clearly visible (especially in this console version). In this game, RT does really not improve the graphics (IMHO).

I figure most consoles versions games will try to only go for RT shadows as the hardware is really lacking in RT-performance...no "sercret sauce" will make up for the hardware lacking "Ompfh" in that regard.
Will be interesting to see how big the gap will have grown in 3-4 years time comapred to the PC.

Ray tracing shadows vs. reflections taxes the RT hardware just as much. The difference is reflections then also have to run extra compute to shade the reflected image, but that is independent of the actual RT perf.
On the other hand, it's easier to use simpler LOD for the reflections than for shadows (shadowing high poly models with low poly impostors can create very ugly shadow acne and other artifacts)
I expect reflections to be the most common use case as they are the most obviously transformative and hard to aproximate with other tricks.

Probably because of Kraken compression or oodle textures used on PS5, or both.

I'm sure they used bcpack on Xbox. While I am willing to accept the possibility that Kraken may have the edge, that install size delta is ridiculous.

interesting that the game is 25GB on PS5 and 42GB on XsS/X and still loads as fast.
xbox version contains all versions. PS5 Version just the PS5 version. Control does not use the "package manager" of microsoft to only load what is needed for the console.

Currently only one game I am sure of really uses this. Gears 5 size was decreased to around 50GB with the last update (only gets removed if you let you xbox clean up the storage), while on PC it is still ~100GB.

interesting that the game is 25GB on PS5 and 42GB on XsS/X and still loads as fast.
Because IO speed isn't the only bottleneck in loading. It it was, all games this gen would load in 2 seconds or less. So far from what I've seen PS5 loads 1-2 seconds faster on a typical ~10 second load, so it has a 10-20% advantage despite it's IO being twice as fast.

So far from what I've seen PS5 loads 1-2 seconds faster on a typical ~10 second load, so it has a 10-20% advantage despite it's IO being twice as fast.
Spider-Man holds the current record I think, it loads cold from the PS5 menu to in game swinging around in around six seconds. That's a dense open world metropolitan city superhero game and this is the future! :runaway:

Spider-Man holds the current record I think, it loads cold from the PS5 menu to in game swinging around in around six seconds. That's a dense open world metropolitan city superhero game and this is the future! :runaway:

It also randomly has the user swinging around as garbage bins or mail bins too. Maybe it loaded too fast? :p

Because IO speed isn't the only bottleneck in loading. It it was, all games this gen would load in 2 seconds or less. So far from what I've seen PS5 loads 1-2 seconds faster on a typical ~10 second load, so it has a 10-20% advantage despite it's IO being twice as fast.

Between the PC and PS5 version its about 1 to 2 seconds faster on PS5. Thats with a 3.5gb/s drive then.

Ray tracing shadows vs. reflections taxes the RT hardware just as much. The difference is reflections then also have to run extra compute to shade the reflected image, but that is independent of the actual RT perf.

Is that actually true in practice? I know with classic ray-tracing algorithms that shadows only need to utilize an 'any hit' check, whereas reflections need a 'nearest hit' (not to mention the further recursion thereafter).

Anyone tested the map loading times of COD Cold War? Those also load extremely quickly. Most of the time is spent waiting for other players (presumably on last gen / PC) to load their games.

The video assessments I've seen do not take into consideration the need to wait for the other players to load. If I load directly into a pre-existing game (i.e., no waiting for others) it's done incredibly quickly.

It also randomly has the user swinging around as garbage bins or mail bins too. Maybe it loaded too fast? :p
Everything loads faster, the game, the bugs, the whole caboodle!

xbox version contains all versions. PS5 Version just the PS5 version. Control does not use the "package manager" of microsoft to only load what is needed for the console.

Currently only one game I am sure of really uses this. Gears 5 size was decreased to around 50GB with the last update (only gets removed if you let you xbox clean up the storage), while on PC it is still ~100GB.
At first I thought you were right, but no. PS4 size is 39GB (PS5 25GB, XSX 42GB). PS5 must use a much better compression than PS4.

At first I thought you were right, but no. PS4 size is 39GB (PS5 25GB, XSX 42GB). PS5 must use a much better compression than PS4.
Ok, again
PS4 Version -> old version (+Pro), with many big packets.
PS5 Version -> just the PS5 Version. Textures and other assets etc are just in the package that are used for that version. This only runs on PS5 and not PS4 Systems. Maybe it even uses the compression hardware of the PS5 as native PS5 game it can do such things.
Xbox Version -> Contains the xbox one, X and Series X Version. Packet as a normal xbox one would use it, just other code-paths implemented to distinguish between the versions. A real next-gen only version would have been broken up into smaller parts, that just contain what is needed. They could have gone the way to put out different versions for each console, but they went the way to pack everything into one version.
Btw, the PC Version of control, which also includes everything is about 50GB in size.

Kraken texture compression might be a bit better, but it is not that much better. At best maybe 10% on large data. This can be much, but it is not 50%.
And before you begin with oddle textures, that works in all current-/last-gen systems.

So apparently Control: Ultimate Edition's install size on PS5 is 25 GB, and around 40-50 GB on other platforms. That's extremely impressive on all fronts but particularly on PS5's, and hopefully smaller file sizes stays the norm at least for a while into the gen. Wondering if the install size can be made smaller on Series and Steam versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back