Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't miss out on this one if you haven't played it.
Control was a memorable and enjoyable title for me. I don't love it so much to get an ultimate edition and play it at 60fps or with RT. But if you've never played it before and these features are available (60fps being a big one) I think the game would be even more enjoyable to play.

I still wished they just released this as a patch for original control owners, but it's a great upgrade here for PS5.
really happy its in ps plus this month, 100% will check

Control was a memorable and enjoyable title for me. I don't love it so much to get an ultimate edition and play it at 60fps or with RT. But if you've never played it before and these features are available (60fps being a big one) I think the game would be even more enjoyable to play.

I still wished they just released this as a patch for original control owners, but it's a great upgrade here for PS5.

100% agree. During my breaks from CP2077, I've recently restarted playing Control because now I have a GPU capable of running the game with RT. And yes, Control with RT @4K/60fps is downright gorgeous.

I played it during a week long trial of PSNow, and had a great time. I bought the Ultimate Edition for £15 during a sale. A bit annoying that it's included with PS+ this month, but at least it'll be there when my subscription lapses.

Really looking forward to trying out both modes, as my Pro both really struggled to perform brilliantly and sounded like a lawnmower in a washing machine being kicked down a spiral staircase.

Quick overview for settings.

XCD1yWn.png
I would say...damn.

Really good work from Remedy with performance adjustment for ps5 as this game is very demanding even on strong pc and settings they chose still looks really good during gameplay and zooming is necessary to catch the differences (also 1.8x pixel difference and 2x fps vs ps4 pro is impressive)
Well, the résumé of the video was unnecessary. "never looked so good on consoles" ... well, more or less something I would expect at least from a next-gen patch.
I really don't understand why the game has so low settings. Yes, the RT settings are low, I can understand that. But the other settings. Texture resolution just medium, filtering just low, ....
Seems a bit underwhelming for such "big" GPUs like in the next-gen consoles, when the mid-gen consoles already had something similar (expect the RT settings). I didn't expect an SSD optimized engine, but this more or less seems to be a really, really low effort next-gen patch. Just to get the game somehow running with RT.

If I take my RTX3070 (yes I know it is a bit higher performance card than in consoles) and activate RT @1440p I almost never get stable 60fps (actually around 45fps) even if I lower all other non-RT settings. Those other settings don't even change a bit (even going from 4x MSAA to 2XMSAA or turn it off). So RT is limiting the performance here. With RT on @1080p I finally get stable 60fps. The game targets 1440p/30 in RT mode. I really don't see, why they shouldn't reach 30fps with every other setting on high when they even lowered the RT resolution.

Last edited:
I would say...damn.
in the end thats just naming settings and whats important its what we see on screen and I think remedy settings are quite clever cause they look good and performance is really good for example 5700xt with high settings without rt is avarage 42fps on 1440p and 2060super with high settings rt 1440p avarage 23 fps according to techpowerup

Well, that video was unnecessary. "never looked so good on consoles" ... well, more or less something I would expect at least from a next-gen patch.
I really don't understand why the game has so low settings. Yes, the RT settings are low, I can understand that. But the other settings. Texture resolution just medium, filtering just low, ....
Seems a bit underwhelming for such "big" GPUs like in the next-gen consoles, when the mid-gen consoles already had something similar (expect the RT settings). I didn't expect an SSD optimized engine, but this more or less seems to be a really, really low effort next-gen patch. Just to get the game somehow running with RT.

If I take my RTX3070 (yes I know it is a bit higher performance card than in consoles) and activate RT @1440p I almost never get stable 60fps (actually around 45fps) even if I lower all other non-RT settings. Those other settings don't even change a bit (even going from 4x MSAA to 2XMSAA or turn it off). So RT is limiting the performance here. With RT on @1080p I finally get stable 60fps. The game targets 1440p/30 in RT mode. I really don't see, why they shouldn't reach 30fps with every other setting on high when they even lowered the RT resolution.
agree that settings texture resolution to medium is quite strange but from what I saw from video game doesn't different much from high pc settings so are still good

Its around RTX2070 performance somewhere, if you'd want to exactly match it hardware wise and go for these settings, before DLSS comes into play.

5700xt with high settings without rt is avarage 42fps on 1440p and 2060super with high settings rt 1440p avarage 23 fps according to techpowerup

With high settings, yes.

Its around RTX2070 performance somewhere, if you'd want to exactly match it hardware wise and go for these settings, before DLSS comes into play.

With high settings, yes.
yep, thats why remedy didn't use high settings as they don't target 40ish fps in performance mode and 20ish in quality mode ;) (but texture quality could be high I think)

Well, the résumé of the video was unnecessary. "never looked so good on consoles" ... well, more or less something I would expect at least from a next-gen patch.

This largely depends on the bottlenecks that cause the settings to stay low. Are they trying to keep settings low to ensure there is sufficient room for the explosions and fluid effects. This game is very dynamic right, it's not a simple corridor walker, everything is subject to explosions and debris.

In case anyone is wondering what it takes to run the corridor of death at PS5 rasterised settings - a 2060S does the job there. Ray Tracing? IDK as it was not easy getting sub 30 to test.
yep, thats why remedy didn't use high settings as they don't target 40ish fps in performance mode and 20ish in quality mode ;) (but texture quality could be high I think)
Texture quality in this game controls the streaming cache more or less. It is not affecting close up quality really.

In case anyone is wondering what it takes to run the corridor of death at PS5 rasterised settings - a 2060S does the job there. Ray Tracing? IDK as it was not easy getting sub 30 to test.
Texture quality in this game controls the streaming cache more or less. It is not affecting close up quality really.
thats why the difference isn't as noticable, thx for answer

so texture quality is just affecting the amount of space used in VRAM essentially?
If so this is unsurprising: you would take advantage of the PS5 ssd speeds to manage your VRAM allocation for virtual texturing.

Last edited:

It's supernatural isn't it? I'm not a fan. I like my scary things more visceral, teeth and claws stuff. If I have it wrong let me know and I'll give it a go.:yep2:

It's supernatural isn't it? I'm not a fan. I like my scary things more visceral, teeth and claws stuff. If I have it wrong let me know and I'll give it a go.:yep2:
I would agree it would fall under the category of supernatural indeed.
It's pretty creepy I guess, in a paranormal way. There's always sort of people creeping up on you, and you hear people talking all over the place when no one is around that sort of really is creepy I guess.

might be, but texture filtering is also low.
Those settings are just much lower than expected. After all it already ran on the last gen ^^, so at least @30 fps I expected much, much more. E.g. in this section
Raytracing is really buggy here. All those artifacts on the walls. But especially Control has a really bad denoiser. Even shimmering and floating pixels are all over the place, even on a high-end pc. This is why I deactivated RT on my card (3070), when playing control.

With what kind of CPU this comparison has being done?

Reactions: snc
Never found Control good looking for the performances (on high end pc).
But the performance mode is a a very welcome addition for consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back