The Medium [XBSX|S, PC, PS5]

PC is setup like the consoles - to my TV and amp etc...have an Xbox controller for gaming too (just playing Max Payne 3 actually which is quite good) - I think the performance of the PC will likely make it the place to play...
indeed give it a go and see what the results are for you.
Not all ports are perfect, or I would have left XSX. I had so many crashing problems with F7, I just knew it wasn't ready for prime time. So to XSX I still have. Hopefully next generation I can finally leave behind consoles, but this quick resume thing is pretty gnarly.

I thought it was gonna be framelocked at 30, but it has a 60fps option so I gave it a try...

For some reason it chose "high" presets for my Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB, 8BG RX580 which ran 'tween 45-60 pretty well; but my card usually doesn't even do high 70s and it was hitting 83c!

I didn't play the game really, just wanted to see how it would run.

I love this game. I'm 8 hours in and it's an 8.7 at this point for me. The graphics are fantastic and the voice acting is really good, but the audio is amazing. Playing on a 75" set in the dark with headphones and really loving the experience.

They found the right pacing and the balance between real world/spirit world/split world. The fixed camera angles allow the devs to present the game in a way that maximizes tension.

Holy shit, that's the scariest game I've ever played. The kind that could only be made by a master of their craft. Every time I was settling into the flow of things, the game would switch it up and I'd be straight back to pressing on against my better judgment.
I didnt get scared much with Evil Within. Especially near the ending.
It is as if the game didnt know whether to be a Resident Evil 6 action packed game or a Silent Hill. The pacing was a mess.

I didnt get scared much with Evil Within. Especially near the ending.
It is as if the game didnt know whether to be a Resident Evil 6 action packed game or a Silent Hill. The pacing was a mess.

I think the weird pacing is what worked the most for me. Normally with horror games, the facade of horror eventually slips away and I end up playing quite mechanically.

But I could never settle into any kind of a groove with The Evil Within. Only the first one though. The second, although I enjoyed it, ceased to be scary quite quickly. It was consistently tense, but nothing really kept me uncertain.

That said, The Evil Within was very pulpy a lot of the time, like Clive Barker's work, which seemed to be a heavy inspiration. It lacked the sophistication of Silent Hill 2. And especially PT, which had the deathly uncertainty of The Evil Within but the sophistication of Silent Hill.

It's difficult to achieve both, and I'm not convinced the horror of PT could've been sustained for the length of a full game. I think you either have to go the direction of a haunted house roller coaster (The Evil Within) or a mature story (Silent Hill 2.)

The Medium appears to be the latter, which excites me, as Silent Hill has been dead in the water for a long time now.

I had a chance to play an hour or so. Not played this style game for ages so quite enjoyed it. The density of environment detail is really nice. The character animation is medium.

Performance was alright on my blazing 1060/combo. Defininately doing more than 10fps. Helps that ultra steady frame rate doesn't matter that much for it's plodding nature. There's a few frames of texture popping on zoomed objects. Same for a couple of spirit world transitions. No all of them though.

My GPU usage griddles along merrily at 100%. My HDD sounds like someone dragging something heavy along tiles. My i5-6500 is underutilised!

I had a chance to play an hour or so. Not played this style game for ages so quite enjoyed it. The density of environment detail is really nice. The character animation is medium.

Performance was alright on my blazing 1060/combo. Defininately doing more than 10fps. Helps that ultra steady frame rate doesn't matter that much for it's plodding nature. There's a few frames of texture popping on zoomed objects. Same for a couple of spirit world transitions. No all of them though.

My GPU usage griddles along merrily at 100%. My HDD sounds like someone dragging something heavy along tiles. My i5-6500 is underutilised!

I imagine RT which you're obviously not using greatly adds to the CPU load on consoles.

I've also begun playing this, via Gamepass, and enjoy it so far, good atmosphere.
I've never been a fan of the game design where you're almost guaranteed game over when discovered though.

Its a real nice looking game imo from a small studio on a small budget, some taken with RT from NV's fb page.

147810023_3915941461802426_6069609799997387347_o.jpg
147743516_3915941505135755_5047945592039287581_o.jpg
147783649_3915941625135743_4401848845956695958_o.jpg
147946356_3915941451802427_2247645642053294778_o.jpg
147359732_3915941548469084_6139935587571024907_o.jpg

I watched a LP of this and it might be pretty but it sure was an unfocused, boring game. The story is a bit questionable too.

Has anyone here played Dishonored 2?

Back