Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing that game on Xbox when it launched was such a fantastic experience. But I am not sure how it would play today...

That and Splinter Cell, can't remember which one, but there was a game where it was played multiplayer. One team as a standard FPS and the other sneaking around in the shadows. Amazing game.

Another nice video DF. Loved to see some Turrican again :)

I don't pay attention to these videos they do, but I noticed that there's another coming with Tim Rogers about Wild Arms 5. I can't remember how that game looks, and talking about Wild Ars, Red Dead Redemption ruined the genre. Would be good to see some western game that was more light and fun.

What is the MiSTer FPGA? Well, an FPGA is a special kind of processor that can be programmed to emulate other processors at the most fundamental level, meaning stunningly accurate retro emulation... provided that talented developers provide the necessary emulation cores. In this video, John shows off his MiSTer, some of his favourite games and his bespoke set-up.

@Dictator just out of curiosity has DF ever did or will do an in depth analysis of the Poly Mega? Especially on the Saturn side of things?

Does anyone make atari style joysticks anymore? All I find with google are arcade sticks which are not the greatest for retro use outside cabinets.

The best Atari style joystick I ever used was the WICO Command Control joystick.

It uses seemingly heavy duty mechanical metal switches so I never had an issue with it. Though I did find this video on repairing them, the buttons use the same mechanism as movement, so repair is likely identical all around.

Also found this online article with pics and directions: https://www.dreamcast.nu/en/wico-command-control-bat-handle-repair

Does anyone make atari style joysticks anymore? All I find with google are arcade sticks which are not the greatest for retro use outside cabinets.
Hyperkin does. They used to sell a combo that had a dpad and a knob for paddle games but that appears to be missing from their site now, but they still have the more traditional style stick. You could also use a genesis controller.

I don't pay attention to these videos they do, but I noticed that there's another coming with Tim Rogers about Wild Arms 5.
Whaaaaat? We may have reached peak retro for those of a certain age. Loved seeing those two try to get a word in edgewise with Tim. Apparently Tim and John were at the same game event in Japan 15-odd years ago. That’s wild. At 5hrs this may be better as a listen rather than a background watch, despite the slew of old games being held up to webcams.

I would consider the actual new Atari Wireless Classic Joystick. PowerA helped with the design.
Product-VCS-Joystick-02__96091.1596209578.png

https://atarivcs.com/classic-joystick/

https://www.gamestop.com/video-game...wireless-joystick/10178679.html?condition=New

Tommy McClain

Here's a picture of newer Atari 2600 CX40 joystick internal I snagged off eBay. The outter white ring-like sections at the bottom is very similiar to what would break from flex during use on the original controllers. That would prevent it from putting enough pressure on the directional buttons to register movement.

s-l500.jpg

Here is eBay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Repair...ri-2600-CX40-Joystick-Controller/383169610515

Wasnt already the new Doom (eternal?) running over 500/600fps on ampere hardware in one of their videos? They'd probably be hitting the limits of what fps can be shown7achieved.
I play R6 at 240+ fps..... Anyway, would be intresting yes, just for the heck of it.
Maybe a stupid question, but is there any point in doing that on a 60/120/144hz monitor? What does 500fps even look like on those monitors?

Here's a picture of newer Atari 2600 CX40 joystick internal I snagged off eBay. The outter white ring-like sections at the bottom is very similiar to what would break from flex during use on the original controllers. That would prevent it from putting enough pressure on the directional buttons to register movement.

View attachment 5249

Here is eBay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Repair...ri-2600-CX40-Joystick-Controller/383169610515
Weirdly sexual.

I'll see myself out.

Maybe a stupid question, but is there any point in doing that on a 60/120/144hz monitor? What does 500fps even look like on those monitors?

Well, its going to be smoother, atleast for mouse/control input movement etc. Its like playing at 120fps on a 60hz display. No idea about 500fps since i usually dont game at such framerates (never). I play/played MP games at 200fps and above (locked) on a 144hz screen and it does make a difference.

Obviously, the screen itself wont be refreshing at 500hz. No idea where the 'tipping point' is where you wont notice the difference anymore. I'd say around 200/250fps perhaps. Hard to test without a 250+hz display :p

Someone else might have a better, more accurate answer to this.

Without v-sync, multiple tearlines and in effect similar to rolling shutter on cameras.

With v-sync version which can change whole image multiple times internally and then displaying last one, there should be less lag from control to displayed image. (Which would be triple buffering of sorts.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back