Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Still nothing on the SSD/external HDD side. But to be honest, I have plenty of space on my SSD, and I have a few games installed that I really wanted to have in there but still have not had the mental energy to continue. So I just spend my days with Destiny 2, which has been by far my most played thing on my PS5. Anyone want to join, let me know!

I picked up a cheap external HDD for PS4 games. Works fine. You only need to wait for confirmation of the internal SSD for PS5 games.

There were lots of reports of external HDD causing issues, in fact I had such issues (locked up and had to rebuild the database) so unplugged and haven't used since...has that issue been resolved?

Still nothing on the SSD/external HDD side. But to be honest, I have plenty of space on my SSD, and I have a few games installed that I really wanted to have in there but still have not had the mental energy to continue. So I just spend my days with Destiny 2, which has been by far my most played thing on my PS5. Anyone want to join, let me know!

Problem for me is kids want their games too...

There were lots of reports of external HDD causing issues, in fact I had such issues (locked up and had to rebuild the database) so unplugged and haven't used since...has that issue been resolved?

I updated it before Xmas, then the kids opened it on Xmas day. We plugged the external drive in and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

... I may have had something when test when I first got it, but yeah, nothing since using it properly.

Problem for me is kids want their games too...

Ditto to that. My consoles are always just full of games that my boys play.

I bought a Crucial X8 2TB and had tons of problems to begin with.

1. Unable to format the X8 drive with the PS5
2. Formated the drive on my old PS4 Pro, but still not able to move files to the X8 ssd with the PS5. (PS4 games on internal SSD to external X8) This also caused my PS5 not to properly go into rest mode and I had to disconnect the power and then rebuild db on the PS5.
3. After formating again on the PS4 Pro and moving a couple of games from the PS4 Pro HDD to the X8, I could also move games from internal ssd to the X8 on the PS5. Now rest mode works fine also.

Go figure!

As for new firmwares it has been xmas, and probably not much work was done over the holidays and did they not release on just before? Without knowing how much work and qa time they use, I am guessing we will see one in februar.

//EDIT

Oh yeah, Crucial support was useless, one agent disconnected me from the chat after a couple minutes.
The second agent dangled me along for 20 minutes and sent me link to a PS4 guide even tough I explicitly wrote PS5 etc. After 20 minutes, where the agent probably managed to send me 5-6 messages. They refered me to something else and that I would be contacted within 24 hours. Its been 4 days or something. I was pissed about being disconnected the first time, so kept saving the log and nagged the support agent the whole time, took 20 min before they gave up (I was always nice and polite, its not the agents fault they have had sucky training)
So unless you confident that what you want to do and that it works for certain. I would give Crucial a wide berth.

Last edited:
I bought a WD Elements 5GB external drive and it's worked absolutely fine apart from when I first plugged it in. The PS5 didn't recognise it but a reboot fixed that and since then I've not had once issue, I've been playing PS4 games from it and putting the PS5 into rest mode, tabbing between games etc.

The only gripe I've had so far is that the transfer from PS4 to PS5 over the local network didn't work. I had to install from disc to get the games working.

I've used both Sabrent and UGREEN enclosures with no problems. My external drive is a 4Tb Samsung 870 QVO SSD also with no problems. I'd bet on most external drive issues with the enclosure or the cable connecting it.

I haven't been able to get into it. I keep trying, only I struggle to get past the first 5mins. I'm not a fan of the idea that you have to be X-level before you can beat X-enemy.

Really strong free PS Plus games:

Includes Control Ultimate Edition (with the PS5 ray tracing and performance modes) and Destruction All-Stars

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've got a 3080 or 3090 then that version'll likely still perform better than the PS5 one, though convenience is on PS5's side.
Have target framerates and resolutions been announced for Control on PS5? I seam to remember the vanilla 2060 being able to do 4k 30fps in that game with DLSS on and RT on the highest settings, but I know the DLSS implementation has changed in that title so who knows now.

Have target framerates and resolutions been announced for Control on PS5? I seam to remember the vanilla 2060 being able to do 4k 30fps in that game with DLSS on and RT on the highest settings, but I know the DLSS implementation has changed in that title so who knows now.

Can't say that I'm expecting either console to have any excellent RT implementation on par with Nvidia cards.

control rt edition ? great month (though not expecting great performance in rt mode)

Only performance mode at 900p upscale to 1080p on Xbox Series S at 60 fps, no raytracing.

Performance Mode – Targets 60fps performance with 1440p render resolution and 4K output
Graphics Mode– Targets 30fps performance with ray tracing (transparency and reflections) at 1220p render resolution and 4K output
NOTE: Only the Performance mode is available on Xbox Series S. It is targeting 60fps with no ray tracing, at 900p render resolution, and 1080p output. This is a limitation of the hardware, not the game.
PS5 DualSense Support – Support for vibrations and triggers.
PS5 Activities and Help – Cards and videos that help guide you through the game, and keep track of your progress.

https://support.505games.com/hc/en-...Edition-on-PlayStation-5-and-Xbox-Series-X-S-

Mmmm... Control was the biggest disappointment for me this last gen - everyone raved about it but I pretty much hated it.

I may give it another go... Maybe...

I assume my old save will carry over?

Back