Microsoft Financials 2021 Q2

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
Microsoft had its first $5billion quarter in their gaming business.

They keep growing at every level , revenue is up 17% to 43.1b

Bethesda will cost them a quarter and a half of their gaming business.

Microsoft direct release @ https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/FY-2021-Q2/press-release-webcast

Microsoft Cloud Strength Drives Second Quarter Results

REDMOND, Wash. — January 26, 2021 — Microsoft Corp. today announced the following results for the quarter ended December 31, 2020, as compared to the corresponding period of last fiscal year:

· Revenue was $43.1 billion and increased 17%
· Operating income was $17.9 billion and increased 29%
· Net income was $15.5 billion and increased 33%
· Diluted earnings per share was $2.03 and increased 34%

“What we have witnessed over the past year is the dawn of a second wave of digital transformation sweeping every company and every industry,” said Satya Nadella, chief executive officer of Microsoft. “Building their own digital capability is the new currency driving every organization’s resilience and growth. Microsoft is powering this shift with the world’s largest and most comprehensive cloud platform.”

“Accelerating demand for our differentiated offerings drove commercial cloud revenue to $16.7 billion, up 34% year over year,” said Amy Hood, executive vice president and chief financial officer of Microsoft. “We continue to benefit from our investments in strategic, high-growth areas.”​

Business Highlights

Revenue in Productivity and Business Processes was $13.4 billion and increased 13% (up 11% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:
· Office Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 11% (up 9% in constant currency) driven by Office 365 Commercial revenue growth of 21% (up 20% in constant currency)
· Office Consumer products and cloud services revenue increased 7% (up 6% in constant currency) and Microsoft 365 Consumer subscribers increased to 47.5 million
· LinkedIn revenue increased 23% (up 22% in constant currency)
· Dynamics products and cloud services revenue increased 21% (up 18% in constant currency) driven by Dynamics 365 revenue growth of 39% (up 37% in constant currency)

Revenue in Intelligent Cloud was $14.6 billion and increased 23% (up 22% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:
· Server products and cloud services revenue increased 26% (up 24% in constant currency) driven by Azure revenue growth of 50% (up 48% in constant currency)

Revenue in More Personal Computing was $15.1 billion and increased 14% (up 13% in constant currency), with the following business highlights:
· Windows OEM revenue increased 1%
· Windows Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 10% (up 8% in constant currency)
· Xbox content and services revenue increased 40% (up 38% in constant currency)
· Surface revenue increased 3% (up 1%in constant currency)
· Search advertising revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs increased 2% (up 1% in constant currency)

Microsoft returned $10 billion to shareholders in the form of share repurchases and dividends in the second quarter of fiscal year 2021, an increase of 18% compared to the second quarter of fiscal year 2020.​

---

ZhugeEX Tweets about it:

Some highlights from Microsoft Q2 FY21 (Oct - Dec 2020) earnings
- Xbox: Gaming Revenue up 51% YoY ($5bn)
- Xbox Content and Services up 40% YoY, driven by 1P/3P game sales + Game Pass subs
- Xbox hardware up 86% YoY, driven by Xbox Series X|S launch.

Couple of quick points.
- Xbox Content and Services revenue this quarter was higher than total Xbox Gaming revenue in the same quarter last year.
- Xbox Hardware almost doubled and now accounts for ~31% of Xbox's total Gaming revenue.

Content and Services growth [SkyRocket]

One thing that can be inferred from the figures, which isn't really surprising, is that Xbox didn't ship as many Series X|S consoles as they did Xbox One's in the same timeframe. This has been reflected in global sell through data too. Mainly due to production it seems.

xbox growth is outstanding, I am impressed with how well game pass growth is maintaining itself, even if the subscriber numbers are a little lower than I expected (I was thinking 20m, they announced 18m), and this is without the 1st party studios running at full steam!

xbox growth is outstanding, I am impressed with how well game pass growth is maintaining itself, even if the subscriber numbers are a little lower than I expected

Where did you see GamePass numbers? I didn't see them give any numbers in this report.

The last set of numbers I heard was they were "near 20 million" when they announced they passed 15 million months ago (around October 2020)

Where did you see GamePass numbers? I didn't see them give any numbers in this report.

The last set of numbers I heard was they were "near 20 million" when they announced they passed 15 million months ago (around October 2020)
Satya said it in the earning call

also 100m xbox live MAU

I've seen this for most of my lifetime yet I am still amazed by how insane MS numbers almost always are.

What really made me contextualize this was when Phil was happy to 'make the balance sheet' because for so long, the Xbox division just showed up as 'other' or was lumped into some other sublegder. He said spreadsheet but given that I'm a controller (accountant) my assumption is that he meant the balance sheet since he was quoting the cfo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...ng-attention-to-gaming-phil-spencer-says.html

Microsoft has been in the gaming business since the turn of the century. Finally it matters to the company from a financial standpoint.

"Amy Hood, our CFO, she likes to tell me I've made the spreadsheet now, and she says that can be a good thing, and I'm on the spreadsheet. So she's going to pay attention," Microsoft's executive vice president for gaming, Phil Spencer, said on stage at the Barclays Global Technology, Media and Telecommunications Conference in San Francisco on Wednesday

Basically, for over a decade, the Xbox division was a side project, a diversion, the stick some of the nerds in the corner and give them some crayons type move.

To Phil's credit, he has worked hard to make it all viable.

returned $10 billion to shareholders in the form of share repurchases
OT: Often this is portrayed as a positive thing because of how its worded, but in reality its a terrible thing but all companies love to do it cause those at the top management typically own a lot of shares, thus its like giving yourself some extra money

What makes these numbers fascinating is that this is before mass adoption of GamePass - there is no TV app, no mobile app for some platforms, not big are coverage...

Basically, for over a decade, the Xbox division was a side project, a diversion, the stick some of the nerds in the corner and give them some crayons type move.
It makes it fascinating in hindsight. Imagine having console division as a hobby:D

What makes these numbers fascinating is that this is before mass adoption of GamePass - there is no TV app, no mobile app for some platforms, not big are coverage...

It makes it fascinating in hindsight. Imagine having console division as a hobby:D
they almost had it with the 360 but the rrod and bad management at the end and into the next generation postponed it.

But yes that's what gaming is for every company that first enters. Nintendo entered as a hobby from their main products which were playing cards and later on toys. They didn't just wake up and decided to make a video game system , they actually licensed the magnovox for sale in japan.

Sony of course existed for a long time before the playstation and they didn't decided to wake up one day and make a console. They actually were brought in by Nintendo for a failed attempt at a nintendo cd console.

MS didn't just wake up and enter console market. Sega brought them in by having them provide one of the os's for the dreamcast

That misrepresents what happened there I think? Didn't MS pimp CE to Sega, rather than the other way round.

its hard to say because none of us were there. It was always my understanding that Sega wanted an easier os for developers after the saturn but they still wanted to let their teams get as close to the hardware as possible and that is where MS entered with windows ce.

OT: Often this is portrayed as a positive thing because of how its worded, but in reality its a terrible thing but all companies love to do it cause those at the top management typically own a lot of shares, thus its like giving yourself some extra money

Terrible thing?

Who would or should profit from a company's success if not the shareholders?

Back