How does one sauna?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I installed a 4-person IR sauna in my wife's bedroom last night and finished it all up this morning. It's toasting down its first cleaning and getting ready for first use.

Question, how does one sauna? What's the point? Is it a good or a waste? It's a definite "for the wifey" thing so I know nothing, should I try it?

I don't know, I think you can drink while you sauna. It came with cup holders, I just haven't installed them yet since I'm not sure where we want them.

I think they're meant for water tbh. You don't want to get dehydrated while in there ( for probably no more than 20 min).

Well yeah, but what is baking in a sauna about? How hot should I set it, how long should I stay in, and most importantly why? :|

Maybe start with 110F but you probably don't want to go past 120F. What does the manual say? :p

I installed a 4-person IR sauna in my wife's bedroom last night and finished it all up this morning. It's toasting down its first cleaning and getting ready for first use.

Question, how does one sauna? What's the point? Is it a good or a waste? It's a definite "for the wifey" thing so I know nothing, should I try it?

Remember to shower before going to sauna. Otherwise all the dirt from skin will make sauna dirty and smelly and you need to do a lot more cleaning than otherwise needed.

Sauna is super healthy for you. Heat shock proteins created by your body when being sauna promote health in various ways including potentially lowering blood pressure, improving sleep quality and helping to relax in general. Another bonus is that it's possible toxins from your body are removed as part of sweating process.

Sauna while having cold beer/beverage and then a swim to cool down is great. Then rinse and repeat :D

I would start from lower temperature and go upwards as your tolerance builds up. Stay hydrated! I like temperature around 180fahrenheit. I know some people like it a lot warmer, some cooler.

Last edited:
Careful
4LvuzJz.jpg

I wonder what that looks like to your dogs. The same sort of way that I wonder what doors look like to dogs. Do they at all grasp the concept of doors? Or does it appear to them the same way that a 4 dimensional creature tearing a hole in space-time would look to us?

Anyway, congratulations on the sauna. I've heard that it's supposed to be good for your health to masturbate with a finger up your bum when you're in a sauna. I'll try to find the link to the research.

Try Sauna for some time and then get out in the cold winter and even bath in cold water outside.
You will be amazed how the body takes the cold after sauna. It feels refreshing and awesome.
Feels like putting mint all over your body

Remember to shower before going to sauna. Otherwise all the dirt from skin will make sauna dirty and smelly and you need to do a lot more cleaning than otherwise needed.

Sauna is super healthy for you. Heat shock proteins created by your body when being sauna promote health in various ways including potentially lowering blood pressure, improving sleep quality and helping to relax in general. Another bonus is that it's possible toxins from your body are removed as part of sweating process.

Sauna while having cold beer/beverage and then a swim to cool down is great. Then rinse and repeat :D
You don't happen to be from Finland manux? :)
Anyway, drinking alcohol while in a sauna, in my limited experience, will hit you like a ton of bricks. But then, saunas around here are always over 200F and the Austrian (/German/..) custom of "aufguss" has gotten popular, where you create tons of scented steam which is then wafted over your body. Which is like being burned alive for a second or two. But you can't be subjected to that with IR. Just know that there are levels in hell, DW, once you are done in your present circle of it.
People from Finland are not satisfied with being cooked though, they actually whip themselves (or optionally, each other, but that's a bit kinky) as they practise the tradition.

Sauna in bedroom sounds pretty weird as a concept but OTOH quite convenient I guess.

As Entropy just hinted, there is about as wide spectrum in the way of the sauna as there is in methods of cooking meat. While a real smoke sauna is pretty much like charcoal grill and a typical northern european sauna with electric stove is like an oven, the IR sauna is sort of a modern kitchen tabletop appliance.

While writing this, wife actually just streaked past on her way to sauna as usual after coming home from work - I'll go later in the evening this time after picking older son back home from the gym. Our electric sauna stove is a container of close to 100kg of rocks which are always hot, and we use it every single day, every one of us. It's actually pretty signicant part of our way of life really, now that I think of it.

You don't happen to be from Finland manux? :)
Anyway, drinking alcohol while in a sauna, in my limited experience, will hit you like a ton of bricks. But then, saunas around here are always over 200F and the Austrian (/German/..) custom of "aufguss" has gotten popular, where you create tons of scented steam which is then wafted over your body. Which is like being burned alive for a second or two. But you can't be subjected to that with IR. Just know that there are levels in hell, DW, once you are done in your present circle of it.
People from Finland are not satisfied with being cooked though, they actually whip themselves (or optionally, each other, but that's a bit kinky) as they practise the tradition.

I am originally from finland. And it indeed will hit you like a ton of bricks. Dehydration and all of that.

If I ever get to buy a house I will put something like this in my backyard. Amazon sells pretty much anything one can imagine.

91SFOgHKPuL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I am originally from finland. And it indeed will hit you like a ton of bricks. Dehydration and all of that.

If I ever get to buy a house I will put something like this in my backyard. Amazon sells pretty much anything one can imagine.

91SFOgHKPuL._AC_UY218_.jpg
That actually looks quite nice! And one can immediately see where you’d stash emergency beer bottles. Someone has been thinking.
Put it by a lake...

Try Sauna for some time and then get out in the cold winter and even bath in cold water outside.
You will be amazed how the body takes the cold after sauna. It feels refreshing and awesome.
Feels like putting mint all over your body

Switching back and forth between freezing cold and really hot is indeed a recipe for amazing relaxation. You really need to try that if you have enough privacy at your backyard (or hell, even if you don't, it's worth it).

Back