Uncharted 4 discussion [PS4] (read first post) [2016]

yeah you could also do it in rainbow 6 on xbox 360 but not to this level. I mean with all those facial expressions etc...

Played the first few chapters this evening.

Really impressed with the level design, especially the platforming.

Now I hadn't played as many of these types of games recently so maybe UC4 isn't so atypical? I played the original UC and UC2 as well. Don't remember level design which is anything like this. The city where young Nathan climbs seemed pretty elaborate for a prologue. It reminded me of Oxford depicted early in His Dark Materials, the HBO/BBC adaption of the Philip Pullman, with the young kids running around on the roofs. I guess the backgrounds or the distant buildings are just flat texture maps rather than 3D objects but it looked good in the distance.

I liked the Panamanian prison tower that Nathan had to climb. All isolated and looming high over the coastline, the platforming felt a bit like Ico, though there were no elaborate switches to trip.

I thought the level design was much better than Rise of Tomb Raider, which I also recently played. I got stuck and the gameplay felt repetitive, with being told explicitly that I have to find the rope arrows or something to be able to access certain areas of the map.

Not so much into going to look for things, collect coins as it were.

In fact I didn't even try to collect all the coins in the Crash Bandicoot, game-within-the-game thing.

I'm usually not into the cut scenes but it's obvious they've hired professional actors to do the voice acting and probably some kind of facial motion capture being used as well?

UC game in "4K" (upscaled) with HDR should be something to behold. UC4 looks very good on my Panasonic plasma.

Played the first few chapters this evening.

Really impressed with the level design, especially the platforming.

They introduced a new traversal mechanic in the forth game so moving around the environments is much faster, consequently many of the areas have been designed to take advantage of this.

I'm still digging the level design and platforming in general though the caves under the Scottish cathedral kind of got monotonous at points. Great escape though at the end.

I like the puzzles you have to solve in order to advance, wish there were more. Again, like switches to activate some machinery or activate parts of the architecture to open or move. I couldn't believe they offered me an option to skip the puzzle where you line up the crosses and the water bucket to open the door.

I am not good with the guns, can't line them up and it doesn't help that you have to hit some of the Shoreline bad guys several times to kill them. I just charge ahead and take them out with hand to hand. Only gun I could be half-proficient at was the sniper rifle, which killed with one shot.

I watched a video of an IGN walkthrough for some levels. You can avoid shooting guns by sneaking up and pulling men over the cliff. You're still killing them but you don't have a big shootout.

But I found it easier to take out more men by charging and probably killing them hand to hand, though it takes me several tries to clear a section. Mainly I want to advance in the game, in the story.

However, the persona that they built up of Nate is kind of like this wise-cracking, unintense, kind of happy-go-lucky guy. Even when he kills a lot of bad guys, it's mostly "whew, that was tough" not some triumphant celebrating about dropping a lot of bodies. It's really jarring, that he's nonchalant about having to kill so many guys and still have this kind of chipper, goofy personality, especially in the scenes I've seen so far with Elena. He sucks at Crash Bandicoot when chilling with his wife but his day job is a ruthless treasure hunter who will eliminate anyone who gets in his way.

We had this discussion with the first Uncharted too, that Nate goes on a killing rampage. Sure he's killing bad guys but he is killing a lot of people.

How do you not at least have PTSD? You can rationalize that Rafe and the chick and Shoreline would do the same to him, that it's a fight for survival. But the rationale, that his brother owes the Panamanian gangster so in order to save his life, they have to chase this treasure and that means eliminating scores of Shoreline henchmen who get in their way. They're saying his brother's life is worth a lot more than the lives of those bad guys. Certainly to his family and friends, they value his life more than that of strangers. Doesn't mean they would necessarily support killing a lot of other men, who also have family and friends.

If they want to justify killing to save the brother's life, why not try to fight the Panamanian guy who's threatened his life? Even then it's problematic as it was in Breaking Bad, where Walter White had to escalate violence to eliminate threats to his business, then himself and his family but it meant raising the stakes as the show proceeded to the climax, committing more murders.

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones, who probably served as one of the models for Nathan Drake and the Uncharted series, Indy just takes out a lot of bad guys with his wits and the bull whip. But then some guy with swords confront him and Indy pulls out his revolver and shoots him. The audience roared in approval when I watched the movie. So maybe for most people, it's good enough that it's bad guys that the hero kills, without the slightest hesitation or with conscience afterwards.

The hero can't have qualms or PTSD and no matter how lethal and ruthlessly efficient he is, he's still got to have an upbeat personality?

u2df_pa.jpg

Now I got to the point that it turns out Sam doesn't owe the Panamanian gangster. He lied to Nate.

But Nate, after dropping dozens of Shoreline henchmen, won't let Sam kill Nadine? Now he's reticent about murdering?

Fun level design getting to New Devon, using both the jeep and then platforming to advance the jeep. Now could he have just run ahead without the jeep? I'm guessing not since they had to cross parts of the river which he probably wouldn't be able to climb.

Uncharted movie starring Tom Holland was suppose to come out this year but has been pushed out to Feb 2022 due to the pandemic.

OK, so it will future beautiful locales and will Nate be scaling a lot of walls and buildings?

While wisecracking and dropping a lot of bodies?

He'll be good with guns but his go-to move would be reaching up and tossing bad guys over cliffs?

120 fps support I didn't expect. I'm mostly just hoping its a good port so I can get it on PC. I love these games.

I bought, but don't think I ever got around to playing Lost Legacy so this is an excuse. If I understand the paid upgrade correctly, this is a weird one for PlayStation owners. If you own either Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy you can pay $10 and get the upgraded PS5 version of both games because they are bundled together.

I cannot recount how many times I have replayed Uncharted 2, it's such a good game, story and campaign but have never replayed Uncharted 4. I really liked the game a lot and the combat is great but the final act went on for too long - very much like The Last of Us 2.

I bought, but don't think I ever got around to playing Lost Legacy so this is an excuse. If I understand the paid upgrade correctly, this is a weird one for PlayStation owners. If you own either Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy you can pay $10 and get the upgraded PS5 version of both games because they are bundled together.

I cannot recount how many times I have replayed Uncharted 2, it's such a good game, story and campaign but have never replayed Uncharted 4. I really liked the game a lot and the combat is great but the final act went on for too long - very much like The Last of Us 2.

Looks like you need to have bought both?

The collection will cost you $49.99/€49.99 but if you already own the PS4 versions of Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy, you'll only have to pay $10/€10 to get the upgrade. Note that this offer only works if you originally purchased the to games, so the UC4 PS+ version won't do it.

https://www.gamersyde.com/news_uncharted_legacy_of_thieves_collection_due_on_january-22661_en.html

I never finished the The Lost Legacy, felt like I had my cup full with the type of game/gameplay at that time. Might go back and finish it when this drops. I probably should give The Last of Us 2 another change, I booted it once, but my PS4 Pro went into jet engine mode...

So you cant pay to upgrade if the version you have was a freebie? You have to pay full price?

From the PS blog: "Players who purchased Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, or Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End & Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Digital Bundle have the option to pay $10/€10 to upgrade to Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Digital Version. The upgrade will be available starting at launch on January 28, 2022."

I interpret this as any of the stated games can upgrade to the new game. I am looking forward to playing UC4 in 120 fps!

3D audio and adaptive trigger also.
I remember Uncharted 4 being gorgeous when I played it in 2016.It'll be interesting to see how it holds up visually, against modern games, with nothing more than a resolution and frame rate boost.

Back