Gaming Journalism *spin*

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
First crunch is part of the job. The problem is what is call march to the death basically when crunch is the normal way to go.

He calls out mostly the studios famous for the crunch culture like Rockstar or ND or CDProjekt not all studios/publisher are like this. EA is not like this, Insomniac games is not like this.

Made "famous" how? By Schreier's reporting? By what metric is it determined that other AAA studios' cultures are better or worse? Glass Door reviews?

Made "famous" how? By Schreier's reporting? By what metric is it determined that other AAA studios' cultures are better or worse? Glass Door reviews?

Because it is known in the industry. Funny Hermen Hulst/ex Guerrilla Games, now head of Sony first party studio) did a joke one day Neil Druckmann about ND legendary crunch for example.

I guess I don't know anyone personally that's worked for any of those studios, so I really can't presume to know what the day to day work culture is like. If you do, then you certainly have more perspective on this than I do. "It is known" means zilch to me, however.

Love him, or hate him, Jason always has receipts for his stories. I find it funny certain people always attack him over his news delivery style or personality, but never the actual crux of his articles (which are usually emails and firsthand accounts of crunch, harassment, mismanagement, deception, etc.). And there is a reason why many developers come to Jason first, because many of them have no voices against these powerhouses whom have terrible management. Heck, it was because of Jason's articles that CDPR management finally sat-down and got a mouth full from their development staff.

Anyhow, this is beating a dead horse now.

What % of the studio would you guess agrees with the overall crux of his articles, and what is your reasoning for choosing that percentage? I don't doubt the anecdotes are factual, but that can only go so far if you're trying to paint an objective picture of what the studio as a whole is actually like.

because many of them have no voices against these powerhouses whom have terrible management.

Well they do have their butts, which they can take to sit on the office of any other hiring studio, provided they actually put out the work to deserve it. That's the best tool employees have. Don't work on shitty places. Actively look for employment opportunities all the time. This is essential.

We'll see when their next major projects get closer to release. Saying things will change is not the same as following through with it.

Tommy McClain

It doesn't mean there will be no crunch but crunch is not the everyday job. There is crunch in every studios.

People who are sympathetic to his cause and have bad stories to tell will actively share them, and those who don't/aren't will naturally try to avoid adding fuel to the fire and opt not to speak to him.
We also don't know if Schreier isn't handpicking only the testimonies that follow his narrative.
Some outlets have been reporting completely different developer stories (such as Gameinformer on a podcast) and even a number CDPR employees on social media. Why wouldn't these people approach Jason Schreier to get their side of the story told by the same outlet, as it would send a much more powerful message?
One thing is certain, Schreier is only putting on his Bloomberg articles the management-is-bad stories that paint him as the savior of the poor abused developers, and the only thing he's been doing about contrasting reports is talking shit about them on social media.
He's certainly not the savior of the developers who don't agree with him.

Don't let my opinion on Jason cover up my disdain for the CDPR executives lies about the XB1 & PS4 versions either. They knew what they were doing with releasing that version prematurely. Their latest post is laughable. So they are assholes too. They have been rightly called out for their mismanagement, but what Jason is doing is not journalism. It's a witch hunt by an overzealous wanna-be journalist that thinks he's bigger than what he is. The only people involved that are not assholes are the actual developers working on the game & the gamers playing it. I think the sales & reviews are on point. I also feel CDPR may actually salvage the game. When they do I might actually try it out, provided it comes out on Game Pass. No way I'm spending money on the RPG genre that I don't like.

Tommy McClain
Fully agreed. The only difference for me is I'm never going to buy Cyberpunk.
It was gifted to me during Christmas.

I find it funny certain people always attack him over his news delivery style or personality, but never the actual crux of his articles
The way you communicate your findings determines whether you're doing objective reporting or harassing the object of the report, yes.
I.e. language and means are important! Is this new to anyone?

Posting an article reporting the situation is reporting.
What Schreier did was he posted an article reporting the situation on company X one day, then the next day posted a hitpiece saying how bad company X's practices are, then 2 months later posted another hitipiece reminding how bad company X is and one month later posted his 4th hitpiece saying he spoke to 5 more people who corroborated his original reporting just to remind everyone on how bad company X is. And in the meantime he posted tens of messages on social media shitting on company X. This isn't just reporting.

Posting an article reporting the situation is reporting.
What Schreier did was he posted an article reporting the situation on company X one day, then the next day posted a hitpiece saying how bad company X's practices are, then 2 months later posted another hitipiece reminding how bad company X is and one month later posted his 4th hitpiece saying he spoke to 5 more people who corroborated his original reporting just to remind everyone on how bad company X is. And in the meantime he posted tens of messages on social media shitting on company X. This isn't just reporting.

If you are a journalist you have to deliver articles. Schreier focuses on how games are being made and if he get sources with new information he will use that information to write new articles. This is similar to how Digital Foundry retest games when there are new patches (or new hardware).

If you are a journalist you have to deliver articles. Schreier focuses on how games are being made and if he get sources with new information he will use that information to write new articles. This is similar to how Digital Foundry retest games when there are new patches (or new hardware).

What new sources did he get between September 29th's "Evil CDPR is ordering crunch time which is bad" and September 30th's "CDPR's crunch is bad"?

What new sources did he get between September 29th's "Evil CDPR is ordering crunch time which is bad" and September 30th's "CDPR's crunch is bad"?

I assume you don't consume much news reporting because all except the most trivial stories have coverage for more than one day. If you're in the news business, because there is much news to cover each day you may consciously not release everything all in one go. In part this is a business decision, equally when a story gets coverage, it can draw out other people to contribute to the news story. This is how things have been for as long as there has been published news.

If you're looking for a more substantive explanation, this article which includes a study based on Google trends data, has you covered. TL;DR the average news story has a life of seven days.

So what you mean is he did not get any new sources between September 29th and September 30th, therefore not passing tuna's explanation for posting hitpieces in a row.
Therefore, the only response you could muster was throwing yet another baseless accusation (I don't "consume much news reporting").

So what you mean is he did not get any new sources between September 29th and September 30th, therefore not passing tuna's explanation for posting hitpieces in a row.
Therefore, the only response you could muster was throwing yet another baseless accusation (I don't "consume much news reporting").
He may have got new information, he may not. What I'm saying is that some news stories are deliberately released over the course of a few days because news outlets need content to released every day. If a news outlet has an interesting story, and they're in a "slow news" period, they may chose to do this. Equally possible is that somebody at CDPR read his article on 29th September and reached out to him, resulting in the article on the 30th.

Your presented narrative of Jason Schreier being negative towards CDPR for years is inconsistent with his coverage of Cyberpunk on 2019 which I quoted above.

Let me try and understand this. If a journalist writes several content pieces on the same subject matter in a short period, say a few months, then he's obsessed and specifically targeting them? Journalists must have a lot of different fixations. I wonder how they keep all that together at night.

I still remember when Schreier was mad when some CDPR workers said basically "yeah we crunch, and we're proud to work hard"... Anyway.

Do you know if CDPR has some kind of obligation about publishing the amount of refunds and how much it's costing them ?

And it's a little OT, but has they talk about the impact on the witcher remake ? I believed it was done by the "b" team and not the main force, who was working on CP2077...

No matter how much effort in pushing negativity towards this game, its a top seller (on pc/steam) atleast, and its the most impressive looking and sounding title out there, pushing bounderies on levels we couldnt have imagined a year or two ago. On top of that, its a fun game.

Back