Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 [XBSX|S, XGP]

I'll post this here. Latest NT diary which is about project Mara but the tech/approach applies to Hellblade too. They're using various techniques to replicate an environment (an apartment in this case) in as much detail as possible.

Fucking impressive.

Damn resolution craze. 4K TV gave me insights on skin details i don't wanna see, and now... individual hairs and dust particles on the floor... :O

You have problems with Grounded too? ;)
hehe, maybe... but because of its cartoon family artstyle, while i want spilling blood and realism. And portals. Jump pads. Babes, Space ships, and rocket launchers.
I hope those guys find some time to work on these essential features too, in between travelling around the globes to scan some rocks, studying the reflectance of leather patches, and focus on interesting hair and - styles. :D
but just joking... Hellblade wasn't bad...

Now if that kind of tech could be applied to something larger than just an apartment, that would be mind blowing. This reminds me of UE4 demo roll I saw some time ago. Obviously there is a bit more going on here but the core was the same.

In recent years, the 'Indie Appartment Horror Game' became even it's own sub genre, long before P.T. It all looks like making a game out of arch viz assets.
Related example is 'The Signifier', because they even seemingly use raw and unpolished scans, which works for them because it's a detective game about exploring memories of other people.
e3950d1b8ebcb6ffd90aac4c8c7d276c_1000.jpg

While i think photogrammetry is very interesting for games, it also causes a lack of identity. It can not compete a personal artstyle like shown in recent Amnesia Rebirth, for example:
maxresdefault.jpg

A single screenshot can not capture what i mean. When i saw the first alien ornament on some door i was blown away and i knew i'm back in the dark abyss only the guys at Frictional Games can create.
We surely need to watch out not loosing things like that...

In recent years, the 'Indie Appartment Horror Game' became even it's own sub genre, long before P.T. It all looks like making a game out of arch viz assets.
Related example is 'The Signifier', because they even seemingly use raw and unpolished scans, which works for them because it's a detective game about exploring memories of other people.
e3950d1b8ebcb6ffd90aac4c8c7d276c_1000.jpg

While i think photogrammetry is very interesting for games, it also causes a lack of identity. It can not compete a personal artstyle like shown in recent Amnesia Rebirth, for example:
maxresdefault.jpg

A single screenshot can not capture what i mean. When i saw the first alien ornament on some door i was blown away and i knew i'm back in the dark abyss only the guys at Frictional Games can create.
We surely need to watch out not loosing things like that...

3d scanning can do the too as long as the real life props are there

Yes, but the things i want to see in games do not exist in real life. I want photorealism, accurate physics, etc... only to make fantasy and fiction more believable.
And even without this subjective expectation, beside asset stores and AAA companies with too many cooks for the booth, photogrammetry is just one more potential source to loose some identity.
But i don't think that's a big problem ofc. - everything can be used to give an advantage. Just saying.

I like the frizzy/unkempt hair look that they managed to achieve. It's not perfect, but it looks really good, especially with that lighting.

Regards,
SB

Looks very nice but dont other games do similar stuff already? its just 4d animated noise (with a flowmap), I would of thought this would be quite standard for years

obviously hellblade 2 is higher quality but its the same
Curious....kind of irrelevant but not fully.... Ground Zeros on PS4 had some atmosphere simulation for the sky. I think it was absent on MGSV: Phantom Pain. I wonder what games had this if they exist and what these games are.
I dont remember any game mentioning atmosphere simulation as a feature (Except besides Drive Club maybe?)

Curious....kind of irrelevant but not fully.... Ground Zeros on PS4 had some atmosphere simulation for the sky. I think it was absent on MGSV: Phantom Pain. I wonder what games had this if they exist and what these games are.
I dont remember any game mentioning atmosphere simulation as a feature (Except besides Drive Club maybe?)

Gorilla did a talk on HZD's sky/cloud system. Which I'm too lazy to link.

Looks very nice but dont other games do similar stuff already? its just 4d animated noise (with a flowmap), I would of thought this would be quite standard for years

obviously hellblade 2 is higher quality but its the same

Crazy how far we come, RDR2 vid looks like real life... damn now i have to play it

Back