Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

I believe DLSS currently breaks most particle based effects like in death stranding. Maybe they can render those effects separately as a final layer at full resolution. as an ultra-ultra setting maybe (even though the costs should not be that much)

Particle effects in Control look fine from what I’ve played.

Particle effects in Control look fine from what I’ve played.

It's possible that they use something else then. It was in the digital foundry video for DS, I believe it was said there that those artefacts were inherent to DLSS type of upscaling, maybe control came out later

If you look at NVIDIA'S DLSS presentation it says that mip bias should be set to have the same resolution as native rendering.

Yah it gives a formula: mip bias = native bias + log2(render res/native res)

I guess you could just use native lod = 0

Edit:

upload_2020-12-20_13-32-20.png

Edit2:

in the case of each DLSS mode log2(render res/native res) =
DLSS quality = log2(1280/1920) = -0.584962500721
DLSS balanced = log2(1114/1920) = -0.785357078268
DLSS performance = log2(960/1920) = -1.0
DLSS ultra performance = log2(640/1920) = -1.58496250072

Still not sure how you'd know what the native bias is to make adjustment manually. I guess you can just set this as the LOD bias in nvidiaprofileinspector, assuming the game isn't making this adjustment already.

Last edited:
It's possible that they use something else then. It was in the digital foundry video for DS, I believe it was said there that those artefacts were inherent to DLSS type of upscaling, maybe control came out later
There's nothing inherent to DLSS in game engine not providing the DLSS with proper motion vectors for particles.

Most such bugs are due to corners being cut on the engine side during DLSS integration with the game. Maybe the engine doesn't do that at all or maybe it does it in a fashion which isn't easy to integrate.

https://wccftech.com/the-medium-interview-bloober-team-on-exclusivity-ray-tracing-support/amp/ said:
Which ray tracing features will be available in The Medium? Are there any technical differences between the various versions in this and other regards (resolution, frame rate, etc.?

We have two supported ray tracing modes for The Medium - Performance Mode that has enabled reflections and RTAO in all performant location (when only one word is rendered), and Quality Mode, which features reflections, RTAO, hybrid translucent, and some RT shadows enabled for the whole game world. The latter is paired with DLSS and some other Nvidia improvements but requires a lot of hardware power.

The latter is paired with DLSS and some other Nvidia improvements but requires a lot of hardware power.
I wonder if they will be using the new Triangle Position Interpolation unit for motion blur effects.
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-30-Tech-Session-00014_6D4C90C974B146AFB223108CC0A8D805.jpg

Crossplay?
Does that mean that the consoles will drop auto-aim features...or does the "cheat-mode" get disabled in multiplayer?

Auto-aim on a controller still doesn't come near the accuracy of a mouse though. Without aim assist console players will have no chance.

Auto-aim on a controller still doesn't come near the accuracy of a mouse though. Without aim assist console players will have no chance.

If one platform gets cheats...the other ones should get them too.
That a controller gives you far less control (pun intended) than keyboard+mouse is a personal choice in this day and age.
So I assume cheats are enabled on consoles and not on PC.

If one platform gets cheats...the other ones should get them too.
That a controller gives you far less control (pun intended) than keyboard+mouse is a personal choice in this day and age.
So I assume cheats are enabled on consoles and not on PC.
Many people use controllers on a PC as well. Modern competitive shooters behave differently whether you're playing on keyboard/mouse or controller.

Many people use controllers on a PC as well. Modern competitive shooters behave differently whether you're playing on keyboard/mouse or controller.

I can see when people do that in eg. Youtube videos and I close them right away....the "floaty" and unprecise movements annoys me and the lack of control is obvious to me.
But my point of contention is that auto-aim is cheating...and in multiplayer you need a level playing field.

Edit: Auto-aim is the "Skippy" of consoles...

He's right though. In Death Stranding, those sparks from the container on his back look hella muted or even gone with DLSS.

This is a known problem with TAA in general, and comes up worse with upscaling. Getting motion vectors for translucency and then somehow separating their scene contribution is tricky at best. Which is to say right now there's no good way to actually do that.

But all that being said it's nothing inherent in DLSS itself, at least nothing that's not in any other TAA implementation.

Marvel's Avengers seem to be the first game with DLSS which gets the new dynamic resolution scaling capability of DLSS 2.1 implemented:
  • NVIDIA DLSS in Marvel's Avengers now supports Dynamic Resolution Scaling (DRS). When DRS is enabled along with DLSS, DLSS dynamically adjusts render resolution to deliver maximum image quality while maintaining the target frame rate.
  • When determining settings on the initial run of the game, or when resetting settings to default, the game will now set defaults better tailored to your machine. The selected output resolution will take into account your GPU power, Dynamic Resolution Scaling will be set to 60fps on sufficiently capable hardware, and DLSS will be enabled by default on all hardware that supports it.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/997070/discussions/0/3105763714507091254/

Back