Star Wars by Ubisoft Massive with Lucasfilm Games

Maybe I'm weird but I kinda wish they had gone for something more interesting, like, say, Platinum, or whoever made Nier Automata. Or whoever made anything but Assassins Creed.
This studio was only made one Assassin's Creed game but having said that, it was the least popular Assassin's Creed. :runaway:

Since that, Massive have developed Far Cry 3, Just Dance Now (Jedi/Sith dance-off confirmed), and The Division and Division 2.

So they're been all over the genre map, which I think is good. If it had been one the Ubisoft's studios just cranking out Assassin's Creed games relentlessly, I would definitely agree with you. :yep2:

This studio was only made one Assassin's Creed game but having said that, it was the least popular Assassin's Creed. :runaway:

Since that, Massive have developed Far Cry 3, Just Dance Now (Jedi/Sith dance-off confirmed), and The Division and Division 2.

So they're been all over the genre map, which I think is good. If it had been one the Ubisoft's studios just cranking out Assassin's Creed games relentlessly, I would definitely agree with you. :yep2:
Far Cry 3 - loved. But The Division being their most recent output? Oh dear. Obviously this has nothing to do with quality, and everything to do with business decisions made by the people who do not make these games, but imagine thinking "OK this EA thing has been pretty shit, let's switch to the guys who made The Division!"

Their last good game was World In Conflict. 15 years ago. This will almost certainly be another Ubi open world slog fest with a Star Wars aesthetic. Only thing interesting will be how Snowdrop utilizes current hardware.

Far Cry 3 - loved. But The Division being their most recent output? Oh dear. Obviously this has nothing to do with quality, and everything to do with business decisions made by the people who do not make these games, but imagine thinking "OK this EA thing has been pretty shit, let's switch to the guys who made The Division!"
I think, as you probably know yourself, it's more complicated than this. I'm sure Disney shopped around various publishers to see who was willing and had capacity to take on such a project in the timeframe Disney were looking at. You may not like Ubisoft's core business decisions for many of their games but it's hard to argue that in terms of putting out generally decent quality open world games at pace, Ubisoft are probably the best there is.

I'm also sure that that game will be the result of heavy collaboration. There is the general principle that when you work with a Star Wars licence you are bound by all sorts of creative restrictions, but equally if - unlikely - Massive did suggest a Jedi-Sith dance-off game, it's probably not what Disney had in mind and they're guide and course-correct the creative process.

As long as there are lightsabers... I'm in.

I'm 50/50 on this. I think there could be a great story and game to be had with no or minor Jedi/Sith/Force focus.

Look at the Mandalorian!

Maybe I'm weird but I kinda wish they had gone for something more interesting, like, say, Platinum, or whoever made Nier Automata. Or whoever made anything but Assassins Creed.

Too risky for major IP from the summary I saw of Platinum last 5 years:
  • Scalebound - Cancelled
  • Granblue Fantasy - development taken away
  • World of Demons - taken off app stores after soft launch and nothing heard back from since
  • Lost Order - nowhere to be seen
  • No announcement of their 4th game in development last year like they said they would, now it’s pushed to this year
Both Bayonetta 3 and Babylon’s Fall AD are still in production.​

The Mandalorian was unique in that it had two major marketing draw cards to appeal to distinct consumers: Boba Fett fans and a cute gushing baby Yoda for everyone else.

Whether it had a good story or not is an aside, baby Yoda is enough. It's like a Star Wars equivalent of cat videos.

For a game that's probably not enough so you'll likely be stuck with Jedi.

Too risky for major IP from the summary I saw of Platinum last 5 years:
  • Scalebound - Cancelled
  • Granblue Fantasy - development taken away
  • World of Demons - taken off app stores after soft launch and nothing heard back from since
  • Lost Order - nowhere to be seen
  • No announcement of their 4th game in development last year like they said they would, now it’s pushed to this year
Both Bayonetta 3 and Babylon’s Fall AD are still in production.​
Wellthats pretty convincing, contrast that with a assassins creed game out each year. Sure the quality may end up lower but at least you’re likely to end up with something

They said the game is only in early development.
So if the game releases in 2023 then there was no interruption of EA's exclusivity deal. It simply ended its term, unlike all the suggested avenging glamour I'm seeing on the internet.

I don't think Lucasfilm games can make anything Star Wars anymore, can they? Or are they part of Disney mega-conglomerate now?
As mentioned above, LucasFilm Games is probably just a couple of lawyers in a desk answering to Kathleen Kennedy (or Fabreau+Filoni, whomever is actually in charge of SW at the moment) with the job of selling licensing deals to videogame publishers. There's no developer talent in LucasFilm Games AFAIK.

Massive is mostly known for The Division 1 and 2, and I think both seem like great open-world games, even if they are online-only like Destiny. The Division 2 got especially good feedback from both players and reviewers alike.

I'm 50/50 on this. I think there could be a great story and game to be had with no or minor Jedi/Sith/Force focus.
Fuck that! Star Wars without space wizards is just Star Trek!
(sorry, I tend to be a bit sentimental on this topic)

You may not like Ubisoft's core business decisions for many of their games but it's hard to argue that in terms of putting out generally decent quality open world games at pace, Ubisoft are probably the best there is.

Exactly. I don't think there is another huge publisher out there that's as reliable at launching AAA character-based/story-driven games. They do rely on working formulas to do it, but even a formulaic game is better than a broken one. Ubi sticks to what works, and churns out title after title. It's a good fit for what Disney probably wants.

Last edited:
The Mandalorian was unique in that it had two major marketing draw cards to appeal to distinct consumers: Boba Fett fans and a cute gushing baby Yoda for everyone else.
Boba Fett has a fanbase, Baby Yoda did not - the Mandalorian, a new IP, created that market draw.

Exactly. I don't think there is another huge publisher out there that's as reliable at launching AAA character based/story driven games. They do rely on working formulas to do it, but even a formulaic game is better than a broken one. Ubi sticks to what works, and churns out title after title. It's a good fit for what Disney probably wants.

And let's be honest, Ubisoft's formula can be found all over. Ghost of Tsushima is basically a modern Assassin's Creed game, with similar varying branch skill trees, resource collection, unlocking regions and missions. What Ghost did different is not have a map filled with 10,000 identical side quests and Valhalla dodged that by having a much smaller unique set of mini side-quests.

I loved Ghost because it was Assassin's Creed streamlined.

Will Ubisoft use the same template they use for each games? Will it be Far Cry style or AC style?
Imagine cleaning up block posts of rebels/empire to open the map...
I would say its more likely than not to be Division style. Ugh just imagining the damage numbers with light saber battles.

*Force choke*

74 damage.

Yes. It's the best Star Wars game.
Have you played Star Wars Squadrons? It's essentially a Rogue Squadron style Star Wars arcade shooter. And it's definitely worth a look if that's your favorite flavor.

Last edited:
Back