CYBERPUNK 2077 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, PS4, PS5]

Thanks for being overly cynical. It does run fine albeit slowly on some people's base consoles.

Not overly cynical, just not an apologist for poor performance and bad management.

Regardless of how you believe things to be, getting overly heated about it doesn't contribute to actually trying to determine why it runs fine on some people's base consoles but not others.

Regards,
SB

Not heated at all. Actually playing the PC edition now, which is great... but far from perfect.

Could it be the streaming issue was made worse by Sony's new firmware update that made some first party games have zero loadings?

I'm waiting to get a series x before buying cyberpunk, so I've avoided to spoil me the game but realized that until now the only things that I know are: it's set in a cyberpunk future, nice graphic, keanu reeves, unholy amount of bugs, dumb ai, bad driving experience.
I know nothing about the game, the story, the characters, because nobody talked about them.
There's a good game under the graphic or it's just something generic?

I have a dislike for RPG's and dialogue selections, and anything with "grinding" to level up, or side-missions. So I never play these type of games.

I wanted to give my new 3080 a RT workload and I ended up playing the game for an entire week. Finished 5 of the possible endings. I even did side-missions. I played entire sections over and over again to chose all dialogue possibilities.

I felt most of the time like I was playing a Johnny Mnemonic movie, and at times the soundtrack It felt like the movie Heat. The visuals, the amazing realistic main NPC's. Yeah, I was transported to that world. I'm 38 I never feel like that anymore with a videogame.

So, I'm waiting for a cheapish Oled <48" TV to replay the game in the two other modes (corporate and nomad).

CD Project RED made an update about the issues:
Cyberpunk 2077 — Our Commitment to Quality - Cyberpunk 2077 — from the creators of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

A very telling thing mentioned about the consoles often ignored or dismissed even in this thread:

Q: Why is there such a gap between PC versions of Cyberpunk 2077 and old-gen consoles?

A: Cyberpunk 2077 is huge in scope, it features a multitude of custom objects, interacting systems and mechanics. In the game, everything is not stretched out over flat terrain where we can make things less taxing hardware-wise, but condensed in one big city and in a relatively loading-free environment. We made it even more difficult for ourselves by first wanting to make the game look epic on PCs and then adjusting it to consoles — especially old-gens. That was our core assumption. And things did not look super difficult at first, while we knew the hardware gap, ultimately, time has proven that we've underestimated the task.

The game was made to shine on PC...and their efforts to shoe-horn acceptable settings on the consoles proved much harder to do that they anticipated.

The hardware gap is there, it is real and it will affect future games, depending on if the consoles sets the goals or games are made to shine and then be scaled down.

And this is already happening...right at the start of the "next-gen" console generation.

It will be interesting to see in 3 years time (after some DLC's) how CP2077 will compare in performance and visual fidelity across the different platforms.

Cyberpunk 2077 — Our Commitment to Quality - Cyberpunk 2077 — from the creators of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

A very telling thing mentioned about the consoles often ignored or dismissed even in this thread:

The game was made to shine on PC...and their efforts to shoe-horn acceptable settings on the consoles proved much harder to do that they anticipated.

The hardware gap is there, it is real and it will affect future games, depending on if the consoles sets the goals or games are made to shine and then be scaled down.

And this is already happening...right at the start of the "next-gen" console generation.

It will be interesting to see in 3 years time (after some DLC's) how CP2077 will compare in performance and visual fidelity across the different platforms.

Funny how the thing you're bragging about (PC-first) and predict to be a larger problem in the future is exactly what they claim to have done wrong and promise not to repeat in future projects.

Funny how the thing you're bragging about (PC-first) and predict to be a larger problem in the future is exactly what they claim to have done wrong and promise not to repeat in future projects.

What they (could) mean is that they will scale things better, or take more time to do so. They didnt state they won't design for consoles first. And even if they did, with scaling being as impressive as it is today, and probably more so in the future, its very in the realm of possibility that PC versions will look and play better then their console counterparts. All games essentially already have done so, basically through ever generation, but scaling has improved and will continue to do so, in special since MS/Xbox=pc. Bethesda's/ID tech is an example of this, all the way from high end pc down to the switch. Sony actually is the only one limiting theirselfs to one box.

CDPR made the misstake of trying to launch a next gen game on 2013 last generation hardware, without taking enough time to evaluate this.

While I don't think that the performance on last gen consoles is as game-breaking as some people do, there's NO WAY that CDPR didn't know about the problems before they shipped. Impossible. They definitely mislead consumers and their shareholders. They've lost their special place in the industry as the anti-crunch, pro-gamer publisher IMO. What they do from here will be important to reviving their reputation. I won't buy the game until the true next-gen versions release.

I'm waiting to get a series x before buying cyberpunk, so I've avoided to spoil me the game but realized that until now the only things that I know are: it's set in a cyberpunk future, nice graphic, keanu reeves, unholy amount of bugs, dumb ai, bad driving experience.
I know nothing about the game, the story, the characters, because nobody talked about them.
There's a good game under the graphic or it's just something generic?

It was talked quite a lot on this thread.

The audio are ridiculously good. The main story feels like a bunch was cut. The side missions are awesome, makes me remember witcher 3 and it's awesome side missions. The gameplay loop is really nice after you've unlocked customizations (if too bored with unlocked that takes too much time, on pc, you can use cheats)

You do realize that the part you bolded is in respect to the the end of the previous sentence? Taken out of context it would mean what you think it means, however, with context it does not mean what you think it means.

Here, I'll bold the extra bits that you should have bolded.

Q: Why is there such a gap between PC versions of Cyberpunk 2077 and old-gen consoles?

A: Cyberpunk 2077 is huge in scope, it features a multitude of custom objects, interacting systems and mechanics. In the game, everything is not stretched out over flat terrain where we can make things less taxing hardware-wise, but condensed in one big city and in a relatively loading-free environment. We made it even more difficult for ourselves by first wanting to make the game look epic on PCs and then adjusting it to consoles — especially old-gens. That was our core assumption. And things did not look super difficult at first, while we knew the hardware gap, ultimately, time has proven that we've underestimated the task.

They'll have absolutely zero problems or difficulties getting the game to run well on the current gen consoles which are more powerful than the majority of PCs that people are currently gaming on. It's in reference to the previous gen base consoles where they underestimated how much work would be needed.

Please stop trying to turn everything into a PC versus console war.

Regards,
SB

I just need to say that, despite regular immersion-breaking flaws (crashes, unnatural vehicle movements when riding, subtitles randomly turning on and not disappearing correctly, pedestrians sharing too few lines of dialogue and almost none of them moving their lips, people and cars vanishing behind your back, ...) and incredibly irritating UI decisions*, the pros outweigh the cons. The city is incredible, the voice acting is great, and the story so far is pretty good. Silverhand’s intro was cool and could be considered the real start of the game, in that you’ve probably figured out your build by then and can start specializing in approaching the world your way.

Pity they weren’t more honest about its flaws, especially on the previous gen consoles. If they needed to release in 2020, why not just blame covid and say it’s mostly playable now but will take a few months to fix? Head off some of the backlash and ride the feel-good Keanu wave as long as you can, bros. It can’t be worse than whatever EA is doing with FIFA.

* Don’t get me started:
no L2/R2 submenu scrolling
no table view to see stats at a glance vs having to “mouse” over every single one rrrrg
no easy visual ID or way to sort by damage type
no way to mark items to keep
no way to batch sell multiple items
when selling multiple of the same items (say, a particular shoe or gun) one by one their order changes after each sale?!?!
the stupid delay in the game resorting your inventory after every sale rather than just graying sold items out (which solves the last three issues in one shot and simplifies buying back)

If they needed to release in 2020, why not just blame covid and say it’s mostly playable now but will take a few months to fix?
Well on console you should be releasing a finished product that you're selling in a store on disc that is meant to be fully playable standalone.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...at-caused-the-video-game-s-disastrous-rollout

The task was too big.

In his message, Iwiński concedes that the company “underestimated the task.” He said that because the game’s city was “so packed and the disk bandwidth of old-gen consoles is what it is, it constantly challenged us." While the company extensively tested before the game’s release, Iwiński said it didn’t show many of the issues players experienced. Developers who worked on the game argued otherwise, saying that many common problems were discovered. The staff just didn’t have time to fix them.

berpunk 2077 was an ambitious project by any standard. CD Projekt’s previous success, The Witcher, was set in a medieval fantasy world full of swords and spells. But everything in Cyberpunk was a departure from that framework. Cyberpunk was sci-fi rather than fantasy. Instead of a third-person camera in which the player’s character appeared on screen, Cyberpunk used a first-person view. Making Cyberpunk would require CD Projekt to invest in new technology, new staff and new techniques they hadn’t explored before.

Another indication of how CD Projekt stretched things too far was that it tried to develop the engine technology behind Cyberpunk 2077, most of which was brand new, simultaneously with the game, which slowed down production. One member of the team compared the process to trying to drive a train while the tracks are being laid in front of you at the same time. It might have gone more smoothly if the track-layers had a few months head start.

EDIT: One ex employee gives his identity, very rare.

EDIT2: understaffed 3000 people in RDR2 credit
While The Witcher 3 was created by roughly 240 in-house staff, according to the company, Cyberpunk’s credits show that the game had well over 500 internal developers. But because CD Projekt wasn’t accustomed to such a size, people who worked on the game said their teams often felt siloed and unorganized.

At the same time, CD Projekt remained understaffed. Games like Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption II, often held up as examples of the quality the company wanted to uphold, were made by dozens of offices and thousands of people.

Arrogant
Some engineers realized that Cyberpunk was too complex of a game to run well on the seven-year-old consoles, with its city full of bustling crowds and hulking buildings. They said management dismissed their concerns, however, citing their success in pulling off The Witcher 3.

Last edited:
They might be lucky that they "targeted" next-gen consoles and mid-high PCs for this game as then at least some version of the game is impressive enough to justify it's existence. You can at least see a path where current gen console owners that buy the game might keep it in the hopes of running it on their next-gen systems when they eventually get one. I believe that with enough hard work (patches, next-gen updates, DLC) CP2077 will thrive a couple years down the road and CDPR will be able to put this mess behind them. The more XSX and PS5 that get sold, the better things will get for CDPR, because I doubt they will be able to realize their vision on the older machines, no matter how much optimizing they do.

Back