AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

They were so excessively friendly that at some point I expected Panay to enter the stage and take away Lisa Su in a top gun's reenactment, and then they just said life during the lockdown is different than usual. :/
What was the point?

RX6700 cards being announced, also with mobile GPUs.

Perhaps they'll also talk about the FidelityFX Super Resolution..?

They were so excessively friendly that at some point I expected Panay to enter the stage and take away Lisa Su in a top gun's reenactment, and then they just said life during the lockdown is different than usual. :/
What was the point?
No idea. It was completely pointless.. It sounded like some attempt at cross-promotion, but yesterday's Surface announcements had zero products with AMD.

Oh god it's just talks between CEOs congratulating each other about how well they did with COVID, with nearly zero announcements.
What the hell..

They announced the 5000 Series mobile and that we will see mobile GPUs in the first half (which does not really depend on AMD as these are OEM systems and performance is strictly limited by thermals and power limits of the notebook chassis...). It is clear that the rumors about 6700 cards coming in March were not wrong - these are probably mobile first parts.

And that's a wrap.

No GPU announcement, no word on FidelityFX Super Resolution, 15 seconds worth of Ryzen Mobile and 1 minute worth of Epyc Milan.
WTF AMD?

Sounds like they decided to pull the plug on almost all the major announcements they had planned for today and decided to fill in all the blanks with these self-serving totally forced scripted "chats" between CEOs.

Fillers. On a CES keytalk. Fuck, I thought 2020 was supposed to be the bad year.

And that's a wrap.

No GPU announcement, no word on FidelityFX Super Resolution, 15 seconds worth of Ryzen Mobile and 1 minute worth of Epyc Milan.
WTF AMD?

Sounds like they decided to pull the plug on almost all the major announcements they had planned for today and decided to fill in all the blanks with these self-serving totally forced scripted "chats" between CEOs.

Fillers. On a CES keytalk. Fuck, I thought 2020 was supposed to be the bad year.

2020-showing-2021.jpg

And that's a wrap.

WTF AMD?

It is a bit weird. CES is for consumer electronics, yet AMD decided to focus on a bunch of industrial tech for movies, cars, racing, data centers etc... Why...?

With AMD I can never tell if it's a strategic move or a stupid one.

It is a bit weird. CES is for consumer electronics, yet AMD decided to focus on a bunch of industrial tech for movies, cars, racing, data centers etc... Why...?

With AMD I can never tell if it's a strategic move or a stupid one.

CES has also been for corporate stuff for a while now. News sites just don't cover that much.

Both Nvidia and AMD had a shrug, but whatever. It's not like you'd be able to buy any GPUs they announced.

And that's a wrap.

WTF AMD?

Or maybe they have nothing to show...

And that's a wrap.

WTF AMD?

I don't think AMD's DLSS alternative is coming any time soon.

I am happy that I that is the case - all those things Stick out rather badly to me these days.

Because noticing these has gradually become an increasingly larger part of your job, since it's your personal and professional inclination to do so.
And it started with the fact that you studied and became equipped with the tools and knowledge to discern the methods just by looking at screenshots.

I hope you're able to acknowledge that you are in the far, far end of the gaming population that will notice "RT vs. rasterization-tricks" the most.
At least in what relates to these earlier implementations of RTRT.

I think there's no question to anyone here on whether or not RTRT will become crucial to almost all 3D games within the next 5 or so years.
But for almost all PC gamers, i.e. the ones without a high-end RTX card (that no one can buy anyways) that aren't playing one of the couple dozen games with RT+DLSS, real-time raytracing is, at the moment, essentially meaningless like swaaye mentioned.

I don't think AMD's DLSS alternative is coming any time soon.
This is such a shame...
Wasn't there an AMD official that promised to talk more about FidelityFX SuperRes back in October 28th?
Not only did they miss that, but it's been 2.5 months and they're completely silent on that subject.

Perhaps they just want to talk about it when they announce the Navi 22/23 cards, as it could be a key component to cards that propose to target 1080p-1440p resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe...
Wow... shiny. My old PC served me as a heater for the room in the winter. It worked. New PC saves power and is so cold all the time. I'm glad humanity found a better way to waste energy meanwhile: Disco lighting.I'm sooo sad i can't see that beautiful lights of my GPU and cooler... after closing the case.

Save the world and give us lighting-off switches! (Or just put taxes on such extra crap that no one wants.)

Because noticing these has gradually become an increasingly larger part of your job, since it's your personal and professional inclination to do so.
And it started with the fact that you studied and became equipped with the tools and knowledge to discern the methods just by looking at screenshots.

I hope you're able to acknowledge that you are in the far, far end of the gaming population that will notice "RT vs. rasterization-tricks" the most.
At least in what relates to these earlier implementations of RTRT.

I think there's no question to anyone here on whether or not RTRT will become crucial to almost all 3D games within the next 5 or so years.
But for almost all PC gamers, i.e. the ones without a high-end RTX card (that no one can buy anyways) that aren't playing one of the couple dozen games with RT+DLSS, real-time raytracing is, at the moment, essentially meaningless like swaaye mentioned.

The thing is, it's not about being able to eyeball a scene and pick out specific RT effects like Alex can. For the rest of us mortals it's simply about whether the scene looks better or not. And most of what makes it look better these days isn't about some specific obvious effect, but rather a collection of very subtle effects that collectively come together to make a more realistic image. Aside from the big obvious effects like reflections, most of what RT adds IMO is going to impact the user on a subconscious level to make the scene look better and more realistic without them being able to necessarily point specifically as to why. Much like ambient occlusion, sub surface scattering, contact hardened shadows etc....

Oof, what about those who buy consoles/other RT hardware, waiting five years doesnt really help there then.

All new graphics tech since about the introduction of programmable shaders have gone through this route from "essentially meaningless" to those who didn't have the hardware which supported it at first to being simply required for a game to even launch.

Somewhere between these two points among all the games launching with support for new tech ("just better looking water", "useless tessellation of concrete blocks", your favorite option here) there were games which looked significantly better with the new tech than without it (HL2 anyone?) - and by the time the tech became required for games to even launch there were zero questions about whether the tech is beneficial to the resulting image quality or not.

The same will happen with RT, and thanks to MS and Sony pushing AMD into including RT h/w into this new gen of consoles already, it is bound to happen way faster than in five years.

thanks to MS and Sony pushing AMD into including RT h/w into this new gen of consoles

My guess is that AMD had the tech or was working on it already for RDNA2, doubt MS and Sony 'pushed' amd for RT so much. A serious GPU manufacturer as AMD, they most likely have been working on RT for their hardware.

My guess is that AMD had the tech or was working on it already for RDNA2, doubt MS and Sony 'pushed' amd for RT so much. A serious GPU manufacturer as AMD, they most likely have been working on RT for their hardware.
Back when Vega launched there were rumours floating around that a lot of engineers were suddenly diverted from it to Navi. I didn't put much stock in it at the time, but it's possible nvidia demonstrated their prototype ray tracing to Sony/MS and they demanded AMD feature match.

Back