Star Wars by Ubisoft Massive with Lucasfilm Games

chris1515

Legend
Supporter
https://www.wired.com/story/lucasfilm-games-star-wars-ubisoft-indiana-jones-bethesda/

The game will be made by Massive entertainement.

TODAY, LUCASFILM GAMES announced that it’s entering a partnership with Ubisoft to create an open-world Star Wars game. The title will be developed by Ubisoft’s Massive Entertainment, marking the first time that a company outside of EA has produced a Star Wars game since Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012, ending nearly eight years of exclusivity. Also in the works is a new Indiana Jones game, to be developed by Bethesda Game Studios, a newcomer to Lucasfilm’s and Disney’s properties.

Let’s start with Star Wars. Development on this new title is still very early—Massive is still recruiting for the project even—so details are sparse. Julian Gerighty, director of The Division 2 and The Crew, will serve as the game’s creative director, and the title will use Massive’s Snowdrop engine. Beyond that, Lucasfilm Games hasn’t revealed anything about the characters or settings within the Star Wars universe that the game will feature.

A Star Wars game in the snowdrop engine would be fantastic. Too bad it will likely end up like every other Ubisoft game, an open world collectathon grind riddled with microtransactions.

The only multiplatform studio I feel could deliver a great Star Wars game would be Rockstar. Everyone else is either Sony or Microsoft 1st party.

Dunno fallen order was one of the best Star Wars games i ever played.
Yeah but big multiplatform AAA studios don't want to make games like that, it was only made to say "hey look we're not all greedy and evil! See this, it's shiny! Don't look over there!" Ubisoft are arguably worse than EA.

So the exclusivity deal with EA is off?

I thought it was a 10-year deal that was signed in 2013.
Perhaps this game is only coming out in 2023.

A Star Wars game in the snowdrop engine would be fantastic. Too bad it will likely end up like every other Ubisoft game, an open world collectathon grind riddled with microtransactions.

I bought nothing in Division 1 or 2. So I can live with these kind of micro transactions. But I'm not a hardcore Divison player which might be motivated by collecting everything.

Lucas film games should just buy CIG and reskin star citizen as a star wars game
I don't think Lucasfilm games can make anything Star Wars anymore, can they? Or are they part of Disney mega-conglomerate now?

You're thinking LucasArts which was bought by Disney when they bought Star Wars. It was shuttered. LucasFilm Games brand was just brought back but it's just a licenser for LucasFilm properties. If Disney were to buy a game developer I could see them rebranding it as LucasFilm Games but I don't see that happening until they determine that the games from Ubisoft & Bethesda are considered failures. By then they will have no choice but to bring back game development in-house.

Tommy McClain

You're thinking LucasArts which was bought by Disney when they bought Star Wars. It was shuttered. LucasFilm Games brand was just brought back but it's just a licenser for LucasFilm properties. If Disney were to buy a game developer I could see them rebranding it as LucasFilm Games but I don't see that happening until they determine that the games from Ubisoft & Bethesda are considered failures. By then they will have no choice but to bring back game development in-house.

Tommy McClain

would depend on the type of game I'd wager. I am sure Disney would want as many games bringing in money as possible esp with the dire straits they are in now

I'm really excited by the potential of this. I am a fan of Ubisoft open world game mechanics so combined with Star Wars, this sounds great!

Maybe I'm weird but I kinda wish they had gone for something more interesting, like, say, Platinum, or whoever made Nier Automata. Or whoever made anything but Assassins Creed.

Back