Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MS FS 2020) [PC, XGP-PC]

how can this game be in VR when we all know VR requires very high framerates,
heres a 3090 getting 50fps
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-rtx-3090-founder-review,21.html
I assume you must have to run this at low settings

As well as reducing details you could also use Asynchronous TimeWarp to double each frame. It's not as good as native frame rate of course but in a slow paced game like FS2020 I reckon it could work okay. As I understand it Quest and Quest 2 run at 72hz mostly so you could maybe get away with a base frame rate of 32fps. Or 45fps if you're using a 90hz headset.

pjbliverpool
I assume you know your way around liverpool
could you fly over my house and post a screenshot ?
UIUj4hd.jpg

ALldLML.jpg

thAsyB9.jpg

pjbliverpool
I assume you know your way around liverpool
could you fly over my house and post a screenshot ?
UIUj4hd.jpg

ALldLML.jpg

thAsyB9.jpg

I didn't realise you lived in Liverpool. I'm not there anymore, moved to Warrington and then Stoke almost 20 years ago now (damn I feel old). But my mum still lives about 20 minutes down the road from you in Halewood.

On the FS2020 request, I'd be happy to if I had the game but no luck there I'm afraid. I'd love to try it out, especially in VR, but can't really justify it given my current months long backlog.

Game Makers Notebook have an interview with Jörg Neumann, Head of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

(Generally an interesting podcast btw)

https://pca.st/episode/25d36094-3f3a-4ca6-87ea-af264ec20d21

Ted Price chats with Jörg Neumann, Head of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Together they discuss how Jörg came to be involved with the Flight Simulator franchise, how the team at Asobo Studio implemented Bing Maps into the sim and overcame the massive amounts of data streaming it has to process, the details behind Flight Simulator's procedural generation, adding depth and detail to the world by increasing the project scope, and how the audience for Flight Simulator stretches far and wide from children to professional pilots.

My new still fairly humble PC certainly runs this better than my old one ... will try later if I can get my Quest 2 working with this. I did get Google Earth to run with both Oculus Link and Virtual Desktop, and so far the Link option definitely was the better one.

They improved CPU and Memory usage. They showed a section on Sim-4 using 100% CPU 27GB Memory at 40 FPS but on Sim-5 Update its using 75% CPU 14GB Memory at 60 FPS. This is without any DX12 updates too.

Full article @ https://twinfinite.net/2021/06/microsoft-flight-simulator-pc-xbox-details/ with snippets provided below:

-----
Massive Performance Upgrade on PC Revealed

During the livestream (which was a second part following one from a few days ago), we heard from head of Microsoft Flight Simulator Jorg Neumann, Asobo CEO Sebastian Wloch, and executive producer Martial Bossard.

They explained that part of the architecture of the engine has been rewritten to improve performance. We get to see a video recorded from Wloch’s own PC, showcasing the difference in frame rate between the current Sim Update 4 and the new Sim Update 5 which will launch with the Xbox version on July 27.

Incidentally, all these improvements were done on PC without the implementation of DirectX 12, which is still in the works.

MSFS will be getting RT support soon:

Martial Bossard, an executive producer on Microsoft Flight Simulator at Asobo, confirmed the upcoming move to DirectX 12 on PC will also allow the team to enable ray tracing in the game. Effects should include better water, improved shadows, and the usual reflections we expect to see in ray-traced games.

They improved CPU and Memory usage. They showed a section on Sim-4 using 100% CPU 27GB Memory at 40 FPS but on Sim-5 Update its using 75% CPU 14GB Memory at 60 FPS. This is without any DX12 updates too.

Full article @ https://twinfinite.net/2021/06/microsoft-flight-simulator-pc-xbox-details/ with snippets provided below:

-----
Massive Performance Upgrade on PC Revealed

During the livestream (which was a second part following one from a few days ago), we heard from head of Microsoft Flight Simulator Jorg Neumann, Asobo CEO Sebastian Wloch, and executive producer Martial Bossard.

They explained that part of the architecture of the engine has been rewritten to improve performance. We get to see a video recorded from Wloch’s own PC, showcasing the difference in frame rate between the current Sim Update 4 and the new Sim Update 5 which will launch with the Xbox version on July 27.

Incidentally, all these improvements were done on PC without the implementation of DirectX 12, which is still in the works.

I wonder if this is all due to optimization work needed to get the title running well on XBS consoles? That 14 GB memory mark is getting down to XBS-X range of memory usage.

Regards,
SB

This looks awesome. Hoping the move to DX12 will allows PCs properly to stretch their legs.

Reminds us that sometimes consoles can be useful, they force the devs to focus on optimising for the lowest common denominator and that benefits us all.

i love it on my series X.
way better than google maps :)

it doesn't seem to do well with small elevation changes of <100m though.
I'm not much of a flight sim guy, but i've already enjoyed flying round some local spots and mountains

Performance is way better and it no longer fills 16gb of ram. I see more streaming of 3d buildings though. Sometimes you fly over an area and have to wait for buildings to appear. Maybe a server side issue?

btw any idea why it says to please isnert FS game disc when it fails to phone home on startup?

the game works completely offline just fine for those with physical disk?

Back