Sony's Cross-Generation Game Messaging [2021]

He has nothing to do with God of War right now, so it's just speculation on his part. It will probably be cross gen, but he surely doesn't know.
Jaffe has had nothing to do with God of War since the PS2 - he left Sony early in 2007.

Yes, it's been that long!

hence why i said most likely.
I'm sure he's good friends with Bob, who assigns parking in the lot. The entire senior management has changed in thirteen years.

Ragnorak may well be cross-gen given what Sony are doing with other games as well. Let's not forget on 16 January 2020, Jaffe "leaked" the PS5 reveal event being less than four weeks away. Clearly a man with his finger on the pulse. Every leak or hint he's tweeted for a decade has been wrong.:runaway:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for PS4 owners.
Exactly. I've never been one of these folks who has expected devs to cut off older hardware just because a more powerful new platform is out. If you have a game in mind and it can run on older hardware, it's common sense to make an effort to support your game on older hardware because you presumably want as many people to enjoy it as possible and give you money to do so.

What I wouldn't want is for a game design to be scaled back just to make it work on older hardware. That doesn't seen to be the case here, God of War's engine really shined on PS4/Pro, you never felt it was coming apart at the seems like late-gen 360/PS3 games.

Games like Ghost of Tsushima and Days gone are showing that a PS5 version can still look like a decent next gen game while having a PS4 version, and those games were only BC. But I am expecting a PS5 version to have improved assets and such like what they have done with Spiderman on PS5.

And Spiderman MM is one of the best looking PS5 game according to many best graphics lists I have seen. So I wouldn't worry.

What I wouldn't want is for a game design to be scaled back just to make it work on older hardware. That doesn't seen to be the case here, God of War's engine really shined on PS4/Pro, you never felt it was coming apart at the seems like late-gen 360/PS3 games.

Although it wasn't coming apart, the lengthy scenes of shimmying along ledges to load the next scene were plentiful enough that I'd like this one to be PS5 exclusive.

But game development is costly, giving up an install base of 100 million isn't appealing, PS5's are still being bought as quickly as they're being manufactured, and Microsoft aren't releasing new generation exclusives for the time being. So all of that considered, I suppose releasing on PS4 is quite compelling for now.

I think Miles has proven time and time again that cross gen can still make PS5 shine. Sure, a PS5-only version would really push the hardware, but Miles is still one of the best looking games on the platform.

Although it wasn't coming apart, the lengthy scenes of shimmying along ledges to load the next scene were plentiful enough that I'd like this one to be PS5 exclusive.

But game development is costly, giving up an install base of 100 million isn't appealing, PS5's are still being bought as quickly as they're being manufactured, and Microsoft aren't releasing new generation exclusives for the time being. So all of that considered, I suppose releasing on PS4 is quite compelling for now.

the medium comes out soon and is a next gen / pc exclusive. I also believe flight simulator is now series only too just an FYI

Games like Ghost of Tsushima and Days gone are showing that a PS5 version can still look like a decent next gen game while having a PS4 version, and those games were only BC. But I am expecting a PS5 version to have improved assets and such like what they have done with Spiderman on PS5.

And Spiderman MM is one of the best looking PS5 game according to many best graphics lists I have seen. So I wouldn't worry.
but that doesn't mean it woulnd't look better if it was developed as ps5 ex from the beginning

Its good to see the stance regarding cross-gen games has improved alot. Yes 2013 hardware holds back things but scaling has gotten much and much better these days.

the medium comes out soon and is a next gen / pc exclusive. I also believe flight simulator is now series only too just an FYI

I wasn't aware of either. Nonetheless, Microsoft's broader first party output is cross generation, leaving Sony free to behave similarly.

It goes against sony's earlier messaging.

I believe it is a good thing for ps4 owners

It does go against their earlier messaging, and I'd rather it didn't. I still think PS5 exclusive titles would be wise - and I'd rather not see games limited by the IO and CPU of the PS4 - but there's no real market pressure to do so at the moment.

It does go against their earlier messaging, and I'd rather it didn't. I still think PS5 exclusive titles would be wise - and I'd rather not see games limited by the IO and CPU of the PS4 - but there's no real market pressure to do so at the moment.

It will take awhile to see games designed from the ground up for next gen systems. Longer games like God of war would take what 3 years or so of development time. So i guess if you would have rather waited till 2023 or later for a god of war game that be fine.

It will take awhile to see games designed from the ground up for next gen systems. Longer games like God of war would take what 3 years or so of development time. So i guess if you would have rather waited till 2023 or later for a god of war game that be fine.

You have a point there, development time.... We would have had to wait even longer for the next god of war if it was native PS5 only.

Back