Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

PCR tests can fail if the original sample isn't taken well. They can also provide positive results long after an infection as they pick up just the remnants of th virus.

The quick lateral flow tests aren't very accurate at all so false negatives are quite possible.

Ultimately, it's quite probable that you've had the virus and recovered. Some people don't seem to transmit the disease much for some reason - the opposite of 'Superspreaders', so this could well explain the lack if infections for your contacts. Alternatively, they may already have immunity due to previously undiagnosed infection! Lots of possible explanations for your confusing run of test results.

The thing is I doubt that asymptomatic people can spread anything. Someone with some symptoms can.

Also I have high suspision that despite their claims about COVID 19 accuracy, the tests might show positive for other coronaviruses.

I also suspect that the number of deaths might be related to other factors they arent telling us.

The thing is I doubt that asymptomatic people can spread anything. Someone with some symptoms can.

Most of the symptoms are really caused by the immune system working overtime. The virus could easily be reproducing in significant numbers for a while without triggering significant inflammatory response. Asymptomatic spreading in general certainly isn't just a matter of belief.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptomatic_carrier

Sorry to hear that, digi. Condolences.

Over here in the UK, looks as though we're going to be having a hard lockdown from tomorrow, schools closed, etc.

It's going to be challenging this time around. Last. March my son wasn't at school and my wife was at home unwell. She's recovered enough now to have to go to school during this coming lockdown (she's a teacher) so I'll somehow have to juggle work and looking after the kids even more. Ack.

Sorry to hear that bro.
How old was he?
78. He smoked 3-4 packs a day since he was 13, drank like a fish, and was a workaholic who never took care of his health. Sort of shocked he made it this long after the last couple of nasty decades with his current wife and I am truly glad he's at peace now and not suffering anymore. I've known he was dying since the beginning of Dec, it's just it actually happening is hitting me a little more than I expected. We had a weird relationship, my parents got divorced when I was 15 (40 years ago?!?) so it complicated things...as did his next two awful marriages. My brother stayed in touch with him occasionally, both my sisters long ago lost touch with him. For all his flaws, I wouldn't be here with my family living happily today if he hadn't been there for me when everyone else had given up on me, and for that I will never forget him or be able to repay him. Well, that's not true. I'm repaying him by raising my family without making his mistakes, best thing i can do to honor him.

Sorry for the babble, still processing. I didn't expect it to hit me this hard, I've been preparing for it but I guess there really ain't no preparing for it.

Oh, and I'm getting pretty g-damned pissed about this COVID shit. It was personal long before this, but it really did get more so this morning when I learned the news. THere is no excuse for the way my country has dealt with this pandemic, NONE!

78. He smoked 3-4 packs a day since he was 13, drank like a fish, and was a workaholic who never took care of his health. Sort of shocked he made it this long after the last couple of nasty decades with his current wife and I am truly glad he's at peace now and not suffering anymore. I've known he was dying since the beginning of Dec, it's just it actually happening is hitting me a little more than I expected. We had a weird relationship, my parents got divorced when I was 15 (40 years ago?!?) so it complicated things...as did his next two awful marriages. My brother stayed in touch with him occasionally, both my sisters long ago lost touch with him. For all his flaws, I wouldn't be here with my family living happily today if he hadn't been there for me when everyone else had given up on me, and for that I will never forget him or be able to repay him. Well, that's not true. I'm repaying him by raising my family without making his mistakes, best thing i can do to honor him.

Sorry for the babble, still processing. I didn't expect it to hit me this hard, I've been preparing for it but I guess there really ain't no preparing for it.
Don't feel sorry man! I hear yah.
Its good to take it all out!
We men unfortunately rarely get support or have the luxury of expressing the hardships and experiences that mess us emotionally.
It is these moments that challenge us, that reveal all the things we kept inside and were affecting our lives secretly and subconsciously.
And it is important to face them and understand our reality, and take care of ourselves.

Oh, and I'm getting pretty g-damned pissed about this COVID shit. It was personal long before this, but it really did get more so this morning when I learned the news. THere is no excuse for the way my country has dealt with this pandemic, NONE!
How is it dealing with it now?
I suspect that one of the reasons of its huge failure is because the health care system is mainly controlled by private institutions.

So Biden has been throwing out ideas for some immediate changes to the pandemic response:

1. 100 days of masks. Unlikely to get higher compliance than what it is now.

2. DPA to expand vaccine production. I would think the companies with the EUA vaccines are producing as much as they can, for the international market. They were ramping up production or making precursor components for months. So what can Biden do, make other pharma factories drop whatever they were making and start producing the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines? Also it's a moving target as there are some hopes that the J&J one-shot vaccine show very good trial results later this month and can start being deployed next month, with Novavax's candidate to follow. Then second and third tier vaccines later this year.

3. Now he's talking about releasing all doses of available vaccine stock, rather than reserving the second dose. Some people have started getting the second shot of the Pfizer vaccines already. The FDC has spoken out against altering the dosing schedule, to do what the UK is doing, extend the period between first and second doses, to try to vaccinate more people and hope that the partial protection from the first shots will help stem the huge outbreak over there.

Pfizer has opposed changing the dosing regimen which was tested in their Phase 3 trial. Some scientists have expressed concern that people with waning immunity from 1-shot vaccinations could help foster more mutant strains which are able to escape the antibodies raised by vaccines.

I wonder if they're pressing themselves to come out differently from Trump that they're not fully thinking through some of these ideas.

Pfizer has opposed changing the dosing regimen which was tested in their Phase 3 trial. Some scientists have expressed concern that people with waning immunity from 1-shot vaccinations could help foster more mutant strains which are able to escape the antibodies raised by vaccines.
Better follow Pfizer guidelines.
I had mild reaction to the Pfizer´s vaccine second shot.
- The first shot is light training.
- The second shot is the game.

Back