Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

Couldn't comment on how they compare to the Duel Sense (do we have anyone lucky enough to have both new systems?)

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear: I only meant in relation to other XBox controllers. Or at least the X360 and XB1 controllers, as I've never used an OG XBox controller.

The resistance is a little higher than the One's. It also feel continuous. Our remaining One pad has a tiny bit of stick when you first press the triggers.

Good. I was quite disappointed by the softness of the XB1 controller's triggers when compared to the heft of the X360's triggers. I had no idea they had force feedback though, so maybe that was a necessary compromise? Or am I in a relative minority that enjoyed the firmness of the X360 trigger resistance?

I'm certainly in the minority of people who always liked the boomerang DS3.

Good. I was quite disappointed by the softness of the XB1 controller's triggers when compared to the heft of the X360's triggers. I had no idea they had force feedback though, so maybe that was a necessary compromise? Or am I in a relative minority that enjoyed the firmness of the X360 trigger resistance?

I've always found the trigger rumble in the One a bit lacking. They don't add a lot compared to the linear motors in the Switch (and presumably the DS, based on the comments).

I agree on the 360 triggers being better than the One's. I like the Series triggers more, even though they're a little less firm. The feel is better.

If you understand french the best teardown of Xbox Series X

Funny he launched the console without the fan, it stopped to work after 2 minutes of Gears 5 and the hottest component is the SSD.

He doesn't do only console analysis, he thinks manufacturing quality is great and the cost is high.

He gives details about the full electronics and give reference for all chips including some use for the PSU. he does tons of measure you only see on other type of hardware.

Last edited:
If you understand french the best teardown of Xbox Series X

Funny he launched the console without the fan, it stopped to work after 2 minutes of Gears 5 and the hottest component is the SSD.

He doesn't do only console analysis, he thinks manufacturing quality is great and the cost is high.

He gives details about the full electronics and give reference for all chips including some use for the PSU. he does tons of measure you only see on other type of hardware.
did he make similar analys of ps5 and If yes what was his thoughts

Some interesting bits from AT:

Xbox Series X SoC: Power, Thermal, and Yield Tradeoffs

AnandTech said:
Paul Paternoster explained that from chips coming off the production line, a substantial number could run with all 28 WGPs enabled. The goal of the graphics was to provide 12 TFLOPs of performance, and so by some simple math, Microsoft could do either of the following to hit that number:

• 28 WGPs enabled at 1675 MHz
  • 26 WGPs enabled at 1825 MHz
Both of these configurations enable 12 TFLOPs. Because the frequency of the 28 WGP design is lower, this also enables a lower voltage, combined for an overall power saving of 20% if all 28 WGPs are used.

ISSCC2021-3_1-page-034.jpg

...the opportunity to reduce the cost of the processor by up to a third, at the expense of a 20% power tradeoff in the GPU for the same performance, isn’t a bet to be taken lightly, and no doubt a number of engineers and bean counters would weigh up the pros and cons. Different design departments may have chosen to go in the other direction.

In the past, as Paul explained given that he has worked on several generations of Xbox processors, the GPU is often the limiting factor in thermal density, which limits the acoustic characteristics of the platform.

...For Scarlett, it is actually the CPU that becomes the limiting factor. Using AMD’s high-performance x86 Zen 2 cores, rather than the low power Jaguar cores from the previous generation, combined with how gaming workloads have evolved in the 7 years since, means that when a gaming workload starts to ramp up, the dual 256-bit floating point units on the CPU is where the highest thermal density point happens.

More here.

Wonder what the "Xbox Cloud gaming can use >= 24 WGP" implies? Are those just usable for running 4x XBone instances or is their a 3rd performance profile beyond X|S? The latter strikes me as unlikely.

I guess it could also run in S mode for 1080p streams.

Wonder what the "Xbox Cloud gaming can use >= 24 WGP" implies? Are those just usable for running 4x XBone instances or is their a 3rd performance profile beyond X|S? The latter strikes me as unlikely.

I guess it could also run in S mode for 1080p streams.

I'm pretty sure they 'overclock' the 24 WG chips so that they still achieve 12 tflops, and the opposite for a chip will all WG enabled, where they would downclock it to achieve the 12 tflops

fascinating stuff

Before launch many people said XSX GPU was more like 2070, I said it would be more like 2080 Ti. Well not completely apples to apples, but we have a closer compare now with 6700XT. In AMD's 6700XT "game clock" (AMD's conservative estimation of the clock in real world gaming use, different than max boost clock) 6700Xt is 12.4 TF or so. So, fairly close to XSX. In Techspots review in 14 game avg at 1440P, it was very close to a 2080Ti 2080Ti avg 117 FPS, 6700XT avg 114 FPS. 2080 Super 101 FPS, 2080 96 FPS, 2070 Super 89, 2070 75. Probably only I care about this.

Back