Are youtube videos enough to display current game image fidelity?

Are youtube videos enough to display current game image fidelity?

• Total voters

HLJ

Regular
After observing some of the replies in threads regarding image fidelity something has dawned on me.
Are Youtube videos good enough to actually display current-gen game image fidelity?

I think not, looking at some of the replies people give and I can see a clear difference between my own gameplay image fidelity and a video of gameplay uploaded to Youtube, even if the same settings are being used.

Some of the best image fidelity videos I have seen (See eg. Digital Foundry's videos) use zoom to kinda get around the less than stellar compression used in Youtube videos.

What are yours thoughts on the topic?

i don't know if pro channels have access to higher bitrates or quality, maybe so, or it only depends on the nature of the source video, but what i know from my personnal experience is that all my uploaded PS4/PS5 videos are butchered by youtube compression, and look a bit worse than actual gameplay.
Screenshots fare better though.

Reactions: HLJ
I vote other. On my 1080p monitor I tend to run YT at 1440p where available and it does a job of making it look a bit better than a native 1080p stream.

A 4k stream on my 50 inch tele at 3m looks alright.

Both are ok. Neither are brill.

If I really want to post an opinion on a games visuals on a forum I resort to a 480p stream on my 6 inch phone. :D

Reactions: HLJ
Even the video from DF patreon are not enough imo, so... I mean, sure it's enough to have a good idea. But it will never be like playing the game, or course.

After observing some of the replies in threads regarding image fidelity something has dawned on me.
Are Youtube videos good enough to actually display current-gen game image fidelity?

I think not, looking at some of the replies people give and I can see a clear difference between my own gameplay image fidelity and a video of gameplay uploaded to Youtube, even if the same settings are being used.

Some of the best image fidelity videos I have seen (See eg. Digital Foundry's videos) use zoom to kinda get around the less than stellar compression used in Youtube videos.

What are yours thoughts on the topic?
For the express purposes of doing resolution analysis, image clarity etc. No. Not good enough. Compression artifacts are very large and disruptive as you go higher in definition.

Btw if don't want to upload at 8k, vimeo have better video quality than yiutube. Due to higher bitrate

Back