Microsoft Flight Simulator (MS FS 2020) [XBSX|S, PC]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 will launch on Xbox Series X|S in Summer 2021.

"Critically acclaimed Microsoft Flight Simulator will come to life on the Xbox Series X|S starting Summer 2021. Players will get to experience the same level of depth and complexity that fans of the sim have come to enjoy and love on PC."

I am very curious to know the install size of this on console. I know that Asobo will do justice by this as well. Can't wait. I haven't liked a flight like game since Crimson Skies

I am very curious to know the install size of this on console. I know that Asobo will do justice by this as well. Can't wait. I haven't liked a flight like game since Crimson Skies

From what I saw mentioned elsewhere, there's a few things they need to tackle before releasing on consoles. First item mentioned was adjusting the rendering engine to using DX12. After that's completely profiled and tweaked, then it'll be suitable for the Xbox Series consoles.

It'll be interesting to see if they give options on what data can be downloaded and cached for the game. Preferably, an option to download massive data to even external USB drives, since that should be faster than most gamer's Internet connections.

IMO they should make a bundle where you get flight sim and all the added pay content along with the add on drive and sell it at normal price. Would be a good way to get people to buy additional storage

IMO they should make a bundle where you get flight sim and all the added pay content along with the add on drive and sell it at normal price. Would be a good way to get people to buy additional storage

You want all the data locally?

The pr speak is that it's 2 petabytes or 2 million old fashioned gigabytes. Let's hope you do not need it all on thoes external drives, that might only cost the gdp of a small country :runaway:

You want all the data locally?

The pr speak is that it's 2 petabytes or 2 million old fashioned gigabytes. Let's hope you do not need it all on thoes external drives, that might only cost the gdp of a small country :runaway:
lol not all the data but i figure if it requires a 150 gigs on pc it will be similar on xbox and it can only get larger.
So why not make a bundle deal ?

It'll be interesting to see if they give options on what data can be downloaded and cached for the game. Preferably, an option to download massive data to even external USB drives,
yes that would be very nice, eg do what you can do with google maps select a region and download for offline use eg the north island of NZ so one can fly all around that knowing its gonna be reasonably fast, sure if you leave that region then it will have to stream in (or just display a superlow res map if you select it to now stream in anything).
If I had a download cap (which I dont have now, but did at my last place) I would be too scared to play this as I'ld prolly blow my limit within a day

Maybe they'll launch the XBSX variant on DX12U, while the PC is still in final testing. Any performance wins over DX11, (even if it mostly just makes it more competitive) would get highlighted in the inevitable comparison videos. It'd be better PR for their box, in the eyes of the fanboys who only watch these things looking for ammo. (against them, thanx to current trends)

Of course, places like Digital Foundry would drop an asterix in the comparison, and the more knowledgeable crowd would take note of it, but the general media may not dwell on it.. I think the initial Series X vs PC videos'll get more clicks and a different overall demographic than the PC-DX12U vs PC-DX11 vs XBSX comparisons will.

Afterall, the PS5 exclusives won't have to compete with a PC counterpart in the same way.

DX12u should come in 2021. ^Like was said, maybe to coincide with VR. I assume it'll mostly be performance improvements regarding cpu usage, and clear some headroom for optimizing VR.
Having DF microscoping the settings with the FPS should be a concern, since 60fps is the new-gen standard, and anything less is unacceptable developer laziness.

I don't know if the engine adjustment to DX12 was happening before or after VR support.
Is there a reason why they did not use DX12 from the very beginning? I thought DX12 (not Ultimate) came out long time ago. I remember it was mentioned or something even on the original Xbox One.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/37544/Microsoft+Flight+Simulator/
screenshot_20210602-0sskfb.jpg

screenshot_20210602-1ezkng.jpg

It's happening

Really curious to see how this'll run on our newly acquired S. It struggles a bit on my 1060.

Guess it'll be a new trailer and release date at E3.

I think the last patch notes had mention of optimizations where the base install is roughly half the size, like only needing 78 GBs instead of 150ish. Exact numbers escape me, but it was somewhere in that region. That combined with the ESRB listing and its looking closer and closer to console edition release.

I think the last patch notes had mention of optimizations where the base install is roughly half the size, like only needing 78 GBs instead of 150ish. Exact numbers escape me, but it was somewhere in that region. That combined with the ESRB listing and its looking closer and closer to console edition release.

Is have sworn it was 70 something but the first few articles I searched said 83Gb. Massive improvement though. Hopefully the S version can shave of a bit more as well.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/release-notes-1-16-2-0-sim-update-iv-now-available/

We performed some optimization for the initial full download of the title so the base game is only 83GB instead of +170GB.

Creation of an Xbox X|S dedicated page in the documentation, which gathers the latest info & best practices to port content on Xbox.

A page with samples to illustrate model optimization has been added specifically for the Xbox, although the samples shown are relevant to everyone creating add-ons.

Back