A Generational Leap in Graphics [2020] *Spawn*

You confuse FPS with fe

You asked for it and since I rather game than waste my time on your strawmen go watch this:

You are comparing apple and oranges and the game has a lot LESS DXR features than CB2077, but like with screen space reflections, you do not see/perceive that.

Add to that the WDL looking to "shiney new", something that most games suffer from
CB2077's world in contrast looks gritty, used and a lot more realistic...but at the same time with a lot more DXR (eg. raytraced global illumination).
But again, you demonstrated again that you do not see image fidelity, you just she shiney (and not the errors)...so I will go play CB2077...and let you strawman some more.

But very telling what GPU can match those settings on console...and it is not this generation ;)

Watchdog Legions has a good alternative method for dynamic realtime global illumination. This is the reason the game is asking more ressource than Spiderman MM where GI is baked.

"Add to that the WDL looking to "shiney new", something that most games suffer from
CB2077's world in contrast looks gritty, used and a lot more realistic..."

actually it is quite the opposite. The walls, asphalt, everything in WDL is more worn out, where's CP looks like months old asphalt and buildings.

Is FS2020 worse than X-Plane because FS2020 uses DX11 and X-Plane uses DX12?
No, you look at the end result, and if WDL looks better in a lot, or in some areas, you either accept it, or you stick your head in the sand and go blabbering on about console GPUs which have absolutely nothing to do with WDL having better reflections, aside from maybe the consoles having the same reflections as PC and you being angered by that fact or something

OK GTAV is very old so is far more polished but looking at the following its hard to say how cyberpunk is a generation ahead of GTAV
To me it does feel like cyberpunk released at least 6 months too early, I realize they desperately wanted the game out before christmas for the holiday cash, but its looking like this strategy will financially backfire.
At least all this furore will make them and other companies go, hmmm do we really want to release the game when its not ready

Watchdog Legions has a good alternative method for dynamic realtime global illumination. This is the reason the game is asking more ressource than Spiderman MM where GI is baked.

More strawman.
You post Screen space reflections as "perfect", get told about the anomalies...and the run to the next strawman.
You post WLD as being evidence of console being "next-gen", but fail to the the image fidelity and performance is that of a RTX 2060 (last gen PC).
You keep moving the goal-posts, mis-representing what people say and you keep going from strawman to strawman everything your current strawman gets shut down.

It is pointless debating with you.

More strawman.
You post Screen space reflections as "perfect", get told about the anomalies...and the run to the next strawman.
You post WLD as being evidence of console being "next-gen", but fail to the the image fidelity and performance is that of a RTX 2060 (last gen PC).
You keep moving the goal-posts, mis-representing what people say and you keep going from strawman to strawman everything your current strawman gets shut down.

It is pointless debating with you.

I just said Watchdog legions is pretty good, they have RT reflection and dynamic GI. I think you confuse me with someone else. Where did I talk of screen space reflection? You are just a troll and a clown.

You are part of people saying nothing constructive and clever.

OK GTAV is very old so is far more polished but looking at the following its hard to say how cyberpunk is a generation ahead of GTAV
To me it does feel like cyberpunk released at least 6 months too early, I realize they desperately wanted the game out before christmas for the holiday cash, but its looking like this strategy will financially backfire.
At least all this furore will make them and other companies go, hmmm do we really want to release the game when its not ready

"bu-bu-but the ray tracing!!!!11" is what you are probably going to hear.

What is more impressive, is that GTAV did all this on nearly 15 year old hardware at this point, of which the PS3 had less than 192MB RAM available :p

it's a big leap in parts, and not in others. Talking about generationnal leap becomes more and more difficult now. CP77 still has "last gen" aspects because dev began many years ago, and you can't upgrade everything easily as tech progress. And you need a lot of people and work also. But in all, walking around Night city feels more "alive" and "real" than GTA5.

different priorities and focus I d say

it's a big leap in parts, and not in others. Talking about generationnal leap becomes more and more difficult now. CP77 still has "last gen" aspects because dev began many years ago, and you can't upgrade everything easily as tech progress. And you need a lot of people and work also. But in all, walking around Night city feels more "alive" and "real" than GTA5.

This is the first game in an open world city for CDProjekt. Rockstar iterate and improve the engine for years. I don't expect CDProjekt open world to be as good as Rockstar at the first try.

This is the first game in an open world city for CDProjekt. Rockstar iterate and improve the engine for years. I don't expect CDProjekt open world to be as good as Rockstar at the first try.

well to me it is as good, better in parts, weaker in others, but also other aspects to take into account, RPG elements, crafting, etc...

well to me it is as good, better in parts, weaker in others, but also other aspects to take into account, RPG elements, crafting, etc...

I only talk about the open world part, attention to details and so on. Rockstar is the best studio for this and by far. Gameplay system aren't part of this. On the other end of the spectrum Guerrilla Games HZD open world was not very good and GG knows it they created a new team to have a much more believable world for Horizon 2. Cd Projekt is better than GG for this but not as good as Rockstar.

https://boards.greenhouse.io/guerrilla/jobs/4681827002

The Living World Team is a multi-disciplinary group of designers, programmers, animators and artists that work tightly together to bring our villages, cities, cultures and civilization to life. The team collaborates with our writers, tech & tool developers, game direction and art direction to push the liveliness of our world to new heights.

As a Principal Animator, you breathe life into our worlds. For you, animation is not just about the key-frames and poses of the hero characters. Your canvas is bigger; you work on the scale of streets, cities… entire worlds. For you the world is a character in itself.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges I think. I dont think Cyberpank was ever intended to be futuristic GTA. It was intended to be a futuristic RPG.
The focus is on other gameplay mechanisms and method to tell the story, plus the assets and geometric density are magnitudes above GTAV.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges I think. I dont think Cyberpank was ever intended to be futuristic GTA. It was intended to be a futuristic RPG.
The focus is on other gameplay mechanisms and method to tell the story, plus the assets and geometric density are magnitudes above GTAV.

Cyberpunk 2077 is an RPG but it is an open world too and you try to make the world as believable as possible and here this is not as good as Rockstar work, gameplay doesn't matter in this case. I don't speak about graphical fidelity it will be more interesting to compare Cyberpunk 2077 to GTA 6.

Open world believable world matters being a RPG, a action adventure games or an action open world games. The genre is not important.

GTA or RDR are the top of the top but Novigrad was very good and in HZD Meridian was weaker than other open world.

I think my colleague John described it well - a larger scale Deus Ex game - with a city instead of different Hubs. The problem is, CDPR and certain audiences advertised the game stylistically as a future GTA with all the try hard edgy Marketing (which is what GTA always does). The game really should have been advertised along its RPG routes.

Still trying i see. Compare it to gtav, a game designed for the ps3/360 generation.
None of that will change the fact that CP2077 (pc) looks as amazing as it does, more so then any other game on any other platform. Its the true next gen leap people waited for, it looks simply drop dead amazing.
Ray tracing (on 5 levels) lifts that to an even (much) higher level. The streaming nvme tech is next gen too, so is the atmos 3d audio.
Its the complete total package, and, with everything max (ultra settings), all five RT modes to pshyco), and with dlss to achieve a 4k60 hdr image, its already beyond what a ps5 will do in its entire lifetime.
Its that pc designed game, the ’Crysis’ of today as per DF.
It all does this in an open world dues ex style setting.

It got awarded number 1 best looking game this year for good reason.

GPUs that tower at close to three times the power enabled this, aside from more mature RT and reconstruction tech and hardware.
Live with it, hardware still moves fast, and when the pc gets the ability to show it, you get graphics like this. With scaling becoming a thing (it already is), difference will only show a larger contrast between hardware levels. I think MS has made that clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: HLJ
Cyberpunk 2077 is an RPG but it is an open world too and you try to make the world as believable as possible and here this is not as good as Rockstar work, gameplay doesn't matter in this case. I don't speak about graphical fidelity it will be more interesting to compare Cyberpunk 2077 to GTA 6.

Open world believable world matters being a RPG, a action adventure games or an action open world games. The genre is not important.

GTA or RDR are the top of the top but Novigrad was very good and in HZD Meridian was weaker than other open world.
Just because something is open world doesnt mean it can put out unlimited resources everywhere. The game is believable and pretty good as an RPG. Because you are comparing it with another game that is designed differently you spot the areas where it doesnt do them as well as that other game. The fact that is open world makes it even more complicated actually. Any game that involves controlling a character can be open world. From that point the priorities define where and how the resources will be put. GTA has always focused on freedom of causing havoc, destruction and experimenting with the realism of a real city. Cyberpunk isnt about that. Same reason why it doesnt give you the same sandbox freedom as Just Cause which barely provides anything remarkably dense as a GTA or Cyberpunk environment or the social variety in its environment in comparison, but it goes nuts with what you can do with physics and your weapons.
HZD again focuses on a linear story telling and fighting robots in nature. It could have been a linear game like Uncharted but the open world came as a beautiful bonus that added variety that makes the game better than if it didnt and doesnt need to be as ultra realistic and dense as GTA.
Not all games with open world elements need to put resources on the same places and compete directly.
HZD was never trying to be Witcher, just as MGS never tried to be Just Cause, or Cyberpunk never tried to be GTAV. Cyberpunk's world is already super dense in exterior and interior with much more complicated assets which is a super great achievement.

Yeah that reminds me of people trying to disrespect uncharted 3 because the hand-to-hand combat was not as good as... Arkham Asylum D:
It's completely different games.

Also GTA wanted to have an online world and sell cars and races and whatnot, so it is in their direct interest to have the cars behave and control like they do.
For what it does CP2077 excels in many areas and while for example with the rain during the day, WDL provides a much better and believable 'wet pavement/asphalt' with better/ more detailed reflections. As an overall package though, especially with the lighting, 2077 is the king at this moment

Back